Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

Traynor:

Let's stop kicking Rangers to death

By jim Traynor on Apr 25, 12 08:13 AM in rangers

LET'S all be clear about this. It isn't just Rangers FC who stand on the precipice.

Scottish football is right there beside them. We are all staring down at the rocks of ruin below.

Since the dark cloud of administration started gathering over Ibrox last year, arguments have raged about the value of this stricken club to the game.

Many believe the game would survive just fine without a club some love to hate. Of course we'd play on but would we prosper?

All those who insist Rangers aren't needed are deluding themselves because this club is massive. Whether we like it or not, the Old Firm are our driving force.

They attract TV companies, who pay millions to screen matches, and other clubs can attract sponsors through appearances on the box.

SPL money trickles down into the lower leagues every season and when they're on the road Old Firm fans help pay the running costs of other clubs and boost the takings of local businesses.

Take half of them away and more than football will suffer.

It's basic economics but the latest raft of sanctions on Rangers will make it harder than ever to find a new owner.

The timing of the latest punishments couldn't have been worse and now the American, Bill Miller, and Paul Murray and his Blue Knights are asking themselves if it's worth trying to save Rangers.

Time has almost run out. Soon the club administrators will have to admit defeat and let Rangers go into liquidation.

What then for our game and what would it say about the mentality of the people who influence it? Indeed, what would it say about Scotland when so many seem desperate to witness the death of this club?

Yes they have a minority - sizeable but a minority nonetheless - of fans who have brought disgrace on all of us but Rangers mean too much to so many more civilised people. It makes no sense to push them over the cliff.

Yet that's exactly what the SPL and SFA appear hell bent on doing. Frankly, they're now taking turns to kick Rangers while they're down.

And Rangers' fans believe it is vindictive. They could be right and more than a few in high places, who have been whispering in corners of the corridors of power, need to set aside their own prejudices and vested interests.

Of course the chicanery of Craig Whyte and the willingness of Sir David Murray, below, who must accept a massive chunk of the blame for Rangers' sorry state, cannot be excused but it is madness to hold the club responsible.

Put aside the EBT case, which could land Rangers with a massive bill, and forget for a moment that Whyte didn't pay tax on the club's wages.

These issues are being dealt with but right now the biggest impediments to Rangers' survival are the SFA and SPL.

It is astonishing that at as time when crowds are dwindling and other clubs are in financial peril those responsible for the game's well-being are falling over themselves to help kill off one of its biggest attractions.

If Murray and Miller are scared off because of merciless governing bodies who could yet throw down further sanctions, liquidation will be Rangers' fate and one of Scotland's biggest institutions will cease to exist. And after that? Scottish football could also find itself on the road to ruin.

Please, stop the gloating. Stop trying to beat a club senseless before it really is too late.

0<br class="Apple-interchange-newline" >

^^^^^^ verge of tears

loved this 1 on rangers media

"Canceled FOX Soccer here today. If there's a Bear anywhere with SKY/FOX can the fuckers and stream the other leagues online, then get your RangersTV. Costs less than what I was paying for this shit anyway. Maybe they can get all the Killie fans around the world to sign up in our place."

do they not realise that there will be no rangers tv soon.

Hahaha... What did Killie fans do to get dragged into it by this moron?

Goram's piece had me in stitches, FUME FUME FUME.

He just wants Rangers dropped to the third so he can taste Elgin's nightlife again. (and grannies).

Some Key Facts and Figures about Sky TV

Total customers: 10,471,000

TV customers: 10,253,000

Sky + HD customers: 4,063,000

Multiroom customers: 2,350,000

Sky Broadband customers: 3,651,000

Sky Talk customers: 3,407,000

Adjusted revenue: £6,597,000,000

Investment in programming: £2,188,000,000

Adjusted operating profit 1 : £1,073,000,000

http://corporate.sky.com/about_sky/key_facts_and_figures

To put that into perspective the whole SPL TV deal costs 0.24% of Sky's total revenue. Their subscriber base is bigger than Scotland and Northern Ireland put together. That's how important SPL led subscriptions are to sky's business.

Rangers fans are basically chucking pebbles at a Rhinocerous. If they do it very, very well then their target might actually notice that somebody is trying to piss them off but that's about it.

Perhaps you should send those figures to LEGGO! TODAY! Today he is wittering on about Lee McCulloch having pulled out of some Tesco publicity stunt, which I'm sure will hit them even less than Rangers fans pulling out of Sky http://leggoland2.blogspot.co.uk/

Traynor:

LET'S all be clear about this. It isn't just Rangers FC who stand on the precipice.

Scottish football is right there beside them. We are all staring down at the rocks of ruin below.

Since the dark cloud of administration started gathering over Ibrox last year, arguments have raged about the value of this stricken club to the game.

Many believe the game would survive just fine without a club some love to hate. Of course we'd play on but would we prosper?

All those who insist Rangers aren't needed are deluding themselves because this club is massive. Whether we like it or not, the Old Firm are our driving force.

They attract TV companies, who pay millions to screen matches, and other clubs can attract sponsors through appearances on the box.

SPL money trickles down into the lower leagues every season and when they're on the road Old Firm fans help pay the running costs of other clubs and boost the takings of local businesses.

It's basic economics but the latest raft of sanctions on Rangers will make it harder than ever to find a new owner.

The timing of the latest punishments couldn't have been worse and now the American, Bill Miller, and Paul Murray and his Blue Knights are asking themselves if it's worth trying to save Rangers.

Time has almost run out. Soon the club administrators will have to admit defeat and let Rangers go into liquidation.

What then for our game and what would it say about the mentality of the people who influence it? Indeed, what would it say about Scotland when so many seem desperate to witness the death of this club?

Yes they have a minority - sizeable but a minority nonetheless - of fans who have brought disgrace on all of us but Rangers mean too much to so many more civilised people. It makes no sense to push them over the cliff.

Yet that's exactly what the SPL and SFA appear hell bent on doing. Frankly, they're now taking turns to kick Rangers while they're down.

And Rangers' fans believe it is vindictive. They could be right and more than a few in high places, who have been whispering in corners of the corridors of power, need to set aside their own prejudices and vested interests.

Of course the chicanery of Craig Whyte and the willingness of Sir David Murray, below, who must accept a massive chunk of the blame for Rangers' sorry state, cannot be excused but it is madness to hold the club responsible.

Put aside the EBT case, which could land Rangers with a massive bill, and forget for a moment that Whyte didn't pay tax on the club's wages.

These issues are being dealt with but right now the biggest impediments to Rangers' survival are the SFA and SPL.

It is astonishing that at as time when crowds are dwindling and other clubs are in financial peril those responsible for the game's well-being are falling over themselves to help kill off one of its biggest attractions.

If Murray and Miller are scared off because of merciless governing bodies who could yet throw down further sanctions, liquidation will be Rangers' fate and one of Scotland's biggest institutions will cease to exist. And after that? Scottish football could also find itself on the road to ruin.

Please, stop the gloating. Stop trying to beat a club senseless before it really is too late.

0<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

who cares ya winy twat.

I read the SFA's judgement and such was my glee, that I actually forgot what they were punishing.

Was this the alleged double contracts being punished? Just a general 'you've been taking the piss lads' verdict? Or was it something I've forgotten about completely?

It's all so deliciously convoluted and entertaining, I'm on permanent vinegar strokes here! :lol:

Traynor:

What a ridiculous prat this man is.

Been reading the book Moneyball. Ok it is about baseball.

The last page the writer talks about sports journalists.

"...he is just another unathletic guy who's assigned himself he job of keeping people out of the game who, in his view, have no business inside. He's not a writer. He's a bouncer."

Traynor:

0<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

What a dick. tongue.gif

Traynor does not seem able to comprehend that just because the OF have been the "driving force" of our game for many years, this does not mean that this status quo must be maintained or all within the game will wilt and die. HE is deluding himself if he thinks Scottish Football cannot survive without the Rangers in their present festering spot in the SPL.

His bluster on the radio last night was winding me right up, and to then turn over to Real Radio and hear Derek Johnstone in one breath suggest Scottish Football would be poorer without Rangers and in the next say it'd be "brilliant" if they started through the leagues in Engerland... I should've known better than to tune in.

My club would have to cut it's cloth if Rangers are not a threat.good!

I think this should be the real, long lasting legacy of this whole saga. Basing so much of your clubs turnover on this one revenue source (The Old firms participation in the spl for the TV deal) has caused, indirectly or not, many of the problems which have beset the other teams in relation to Rangers going into admin. They are reluctant to chuck Rangers out the League because of this when other clubs in similar circumstances have been (Livingston) which threatens the whole integrity of the League.

The whole thing is a false economy. Getting more money out of Sky by including the 4 OF games a season clause isn't worth the cost to the leagues integrity.

Perhaps you should send those figures to LEGGO! TODAY! Today he is wittering on about Lee McCulloch having pulled out of some Tesco publicity stunt, which I'm sure will hit them even less than Rangers fans pulling out of Sky http://leggoland2.blogspot.co.uk/

I genuinely think that guy is mentally ill. Why does he call Graham Spiers "ODIOUS CREEP"?

Mind you, his use of random capital letters is the BEST in the business.

Love the latest brainwave somebody has had on Rangers Media in how to save the club.....he suggests that everybody buys tickets for the EuroMillions in the hope that they win the £36m jackpot and can give the money to Rangers. laugh.giflaugh.gif

Only another £100m to get when they win the jackpot then!

Any club Chief Executive that doesn't have a plan B for Rangers not being in the SPL next season is not doing their job properly.

Correct, and I pretty much said as much to the St Mirren chairman, Stewart Gilmour.

My question was simply this: taking the Rangers situation and OF matches out of the equation for a moment, what would the clubs - all of them - do if Sky decided that the product on offer was shite, and/or that they didn't want to renew their contract. This is scenario that is entirely feasible, it is the prerogative of the TV companies so you would have to assume that the clubs have taken this into account and have contingency planning in mind. No?

I have to say that the response I received wasn't terribly compelling - ie: I'm not sure if any such contingency plans are in place.

It seems to me that clubs have a very short-termist approach to their fiscal management - season to season it would appear. I can appreciate why this must be the case to a degree given the vagaries of the system - league positioning; ST sales; sponsorship etc. - but, to my mind, this only reinforces why clubs shouldn't be winging it on the basis of scraping by from year to year (let's face it, several aren't even doing that in reality).

That Traynor piece was such inane drivel, that I reached the end of it before realising I'd stopped taking any of it in after about halfway.

thank god i thought it was just me that went blind half way threw it.

mindless inane dribbling bufoon.