whisky lovers

No. Avoid despite the price. Dull as dishwater. HP 12 for £25 or a variety of others around that price point are all infinitely more worthy of your money.

Got a fresh bottle of HP in the cupboard, given by a non whisky drinking work colleague, so was a only thinking about the Tamnavulin to expand my knowledge. Thanks for the help..

11 hours ago, Spain said:

It's pretty small so they don't churn out a lot.

FYI - for those that have seen the film The Angel's Share - Balblair Distillery is where it was set.

I think more of it was filmed at Deanston Distillery. They have the signatures of Ken Loach and the cast on a cask.

9 hours ago, gannonball said:

Glenfarclas 15 yo going for 33.49 at the mo

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glenfarclas-15-Years-Old-70/dp/B001GLPJPI

Cheers for the link, I've been meaning to try some Glenfarclas for a while.

8 hours ago, gannonball said:

Speaking of, their 12 is a fine dram. Got a tour there a few years ago. Found it a bit different as the place wasn't initially a distillery.

Yeah, I'm a bit biased as I know the visitor centre manager, but for the reason you already gave and that it generates its own electricity, I think it's one of the more interesting tours.

It's not the style of whisky I normally buy (a bit too subtle for me) but I did try some of their distillery editions which were very nice.

The Ord distillery in Muir of Ord is okay, few free samples before heading over to the Ord Arms for a pub lunch.

It's worth going just to pick up a bottle of Glenn Ord Singleton, I don't think you can buy it anywhere else in Britain.

10 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I think more of it was filmed at Deanston Distillery. They have the signatures of Ken Loach and the cast on a cask.

Kinda. It was "set" at Balblair and they filmed the outside of it and the Struie Road* leading to it but it wasn't big enough or had enough free space in it to film any of the inside scenes. All the internal stuff was filmed at Deanston.

* It slightly bugs me in the film that they're filmed heading south over the Struie at Strathrory when they're supposed to be going north.

22 hours ago, bob the tank said:

Got a fresh bottle of HP in the cupboard, given by a non whisky drinking work colleague, so was a only thinking about the Tamnavulin to expand my knowledge. Thanks for the help..

Beautiful on lorne.

I'm hosting a round Scotland whisky tasting in the house tomorrow (no lowland, I'm all out). Think have narrowed it down to 10

Balvennie Doublewood

Balvennie Caribbean Cask

Aberlour A 'Bunadh

Glencadam 21

Chivas Regal (wild card to see if blend can be spotted)

Jura Diurachs Own

Arran Bothy Quarter Cask

Talisker Port Ruighe

Lagavulin 16

Bowmore Darkest

Feel like I'm killing my babies leaving others out but I'll end up in the hospital.

Edited by invergowrie arab

Beautiful on lorne.

I'm hosting a round Scotland whisky tasting in the house tomorrow (no lowland, I'm all out). Think have narrowed it down to 10

Balvennie Doublewood

Balvennie Caribbean Cask

Aberlour A 'Bunadh

Glencadam 21

Chivas Regal (wild card to see if blend can be spotted)

Jura Diurachs Own

Arran Bothy Quarter Cask

Talisker Port Ruighe

Lagavulin 16

Bowmore Darkest

Feel like I'm killing my babies leaving others out but I'll end up in the hospital.

Starting strong, ending strong. Excellent line up!

I'm sure in Angel's Share, the tour shots are in Deanston but they show Glengoyne as the alleged setting (for the tour)

It was shot in deanston as the my wife knows the manager of the distillery at the times mother, and I got a running commentary of the filming schedule as it was happening

Possibly sacrilegious talking about this in here, but is anyone a fan of Jim Beam Red Stag?
I was given a bottle a couple of years ago when we moved house and took an instant like to it.
Bought myself a bottle last week when I saw it for £13 in Asda.
I'd imagine it's probably quite sickly if drunk in large quantities in a one-er but a very pleasant drink in small doses.

4 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

Possibly sacrilegious talking about this in here, but is anyone a fan of Jim Beam Red Stag?
I was given a bottle a couple of years ago when we moved house and took an instant like to it.
Bought myself a bottle last week when I saw it for £13 in Asda.
I'd imagine it's probably quite sickly if drunk in large quantities in a one-er but a very pleasant drink in small doses.

Not bad stuff, I got a couple of bottles of Jim Beam Double Oak 43% via Tesco at £20 a bottle. Lovely drop of Bourbon.

Been a good few years since Ive tried it but from recollection it wasnt the smoothest which suits me nowadays to be honest.

I've just tried the glenfarclas 15 that I had the cheap link to the other day on the previous page. A nice dram, tastes a bit woody, strangely though I think I prefer the 12 Ive got from them. The 21 is marvellous.

Been a good few years since Ive tried it but from recollection it wasnt the smoothest which suits me nowadays to be honest.

I've just tried the glenfarclas 15 that I had the cheap link to the other day on the previous page. A nice dram, tastes a bit woody, strangely though I think I prefer the 12 Ive got from them. The 21 is marvellous.

From what I've read it was rebranded/changed to a non-chill filter process and the ABV was upped to 48% which could explain the sharpness of taste. Excited to crack it open tonight though.

Purchased Bowmore 12; first bottle of Islay whisky and I'm surprised. I'm not a massive fan of peaty whisky, and as far as peatiness goes this is probably my ideal whisky. Not too strong but definitely decent hints of smoke in there.

Purchased Bowmore 12; first bottle of Islay whisky and I'm surprised. I'm not a massive fan of peaty whisky, and as far as peatiness goes this is probably my ideal whisky. Not too strong but definitely decent hints of smoke in there.

If you like that, Bowmore Darkest is the way to go next. I've got a bottle in house with 1/3 left but I've agonisingly promised to save it for a pal next time they come round.