whisky lovers

On 12/13/2016 at 18:19, ClydeSI said:

Interesting read.

I often go to the tastings at the good spirits Co. in Bath Street. You get 6 varied malts to try and they chat through them. Usually end up buying one at the end of the night.

This is a very good shout. It's not the cheapest shop in the world, but the guys that run it are very knowledgeable, chatty, and helpful. I've not been in a while, need to go. I often use that shop as my go-to for presents. The Bourbon and Gin ranges are excellent for gifts.

1 hour ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I bought a bottle in error when I was at the supermarket. Picked it up thinking it was Talisker 10 with new packaging. Perhaps another reason I don't like it.

I've only had one or two drink so perhaps I need to revisit, but it seemed to be a jack of all trades, master of none. Somewhat peated, somewhat smoky, somewhat fruity etc, somewhat light etc

Agree with this. It seemed to me to be Juraesque, and that's no good thing imo. Certainly not unpleasant though, there's no reason this should be about bashing the whisky particularly. I always feel it's like anything else; buy a few different ones and get to know what you like. Even an indifferent tipple will have some flavour notes you like. 

1 hour ago, jmothecat said:

I don't but VAT 69 always reminds me of the episode of Yes Minister where they visit the dry country so have a communications room so they can drink, and have unsubtle ways of communicating what drink is awaiting them.

I think that's the last time it was readily available. MY grandad has decided he want some for Xmas having had it in 30 years.

Question.
Does old boxed, unopened whiskey have any kind of value?  I used to buy my dad a bottle of whisky at Christmas and continued to buy a bottle each year when he was no longer around. 
So I have about ten or so in a cupboard (I'm not a whisky drinker myself)  They are all single Scotch whisky that would have been around the £30 mark originally and the oldest will now be 10 years older than the box age.
I have no idea - just asking.

Try here for a yardstick of what someone would pay for bottles. Most bottles at the lower end up selling for on or around what they are worth.

https://www.scotchwhiskyauctions.com

1 hour ago, Willie adie said:

Auchentoshan single malt, in tesco  for twenty quid, down from £35 to be opened on Xmas day, well Xmas eve any one know if its good or not,

The marketing is bullshit.

Auchentoshan American Oak ages gracefully in first fill North American bourbon casks. The result: a smooth and complex Single Malt Scotch Whisky, with notes of white peach and smooth vanilla cream.

ermm yeah you are just describing how all whisky is made.

be not afeared though it's a nice drop and a steal at 20.

Auchentoshan single malt, in tesco  for twenty quid, down from £35 to be opened on Xmas day, well Xmas eve any one know if its good or not,

Very drinkable run of the mill malt.

You won't do much chin stroking with it, but it's probably the best you'll get for £20. I've got some kicking around that's earmarked for my Cask once I actually seal it properly.

I know this isn't whisky, but as there isn't a rum thread (yet) I thought I would ask here. Has anyone tried Dark Matter rum? Apparently it's from Banchory - basically the best town in Scotland - so quite intrigued by it. I'm an occasional rather than regular rum drinker so don't want to sink £35 on something disappointing but quite intrigued to try it and want to support Scottish endeavours, particularly ones from Kincadineshire.

9 hours ago, bob the tank said:

It is on at £20 quite a lot, not brilliant but very drinkable for that price

That sums up how I'd rate Auchentoshan.

It's one of the few Scottish whiskies that is triple distilled. 

It was the 1st whisky I liked but don't buy it at all now apart from when I see Auchentoshan Threewood on offer (it's like Balvenie Doublewood, but not quite as good). 

That sums up how I'd rate Auchentoshan.
It's one of the few Scottish whiskies that is triple distilled. 
It was the 1st whisky I liked but don't buy it at all now apart from when I see Auchentoshan Threewood on offer (it's like Balvenie Doublewood, but not quite as good). 

Balvenie Doublewood is right up there with my favourite whiskys.

If they were the same price I'd buy Doublewood every time, but I'll buy Threewood when somewhere (usually Tesco) has reduced the price. 

But I hardly ever buy any whisky that isn't on promotion.

Anyone know of a shop, not online, where I would find a bottle of VAT 69?

Was just about to ask about this, was watching Band of Brothers and it's all that one of the characters would drink, looked it up online and it's only £20, has anyone ever had it?

At £15 a litre for Grouse at Tesco at the moment it would be stupid not to. My only complaint is the sweetness. Anyone know of a dryer cheap blended whisky? I think Scottish Leader might be not quite as sweet but I haven't compared them directly.

Dewars White Label....the Worlds most awarded Scotch Whisky...is what you're looking for

If they were the same price I'd buy Doublewood every time, but I'll buy Threewood when somewhere (usually Tesco) has reduced the price. 
But I hardly ever buy any whisky that isn't on promotion.

Three Wood £52 in our local co-op yesterday. Feckin extortionate