whisky lovers

5 minutes ago, philpy said:

None of them are getting opened anytime soon. The Speyburn was a gift from my close friend who had it handed down from a family member.

Not wanting to be a dick but a Speyburn 10 yo is an MoR whisky readily available in supermarkets for under 30 quid. Its like being reverent towards a packet of kitkats. Drink it.

Not wanting to be a dick but a Speyburn 10 yo is an MoR whisky readily available in supermarkets for under 30 quid. Its like being reverent towards a packet of kitkats. Drink it.

I wasn't brave enough to say this.

8698f83193c1662251aa6bc62ad20601.jpg

Got this from my neighbour, already opened it, so the others ain't getting touched until this is finished. Got it from Aldi, its quite decent.

37 minutes ago, philpy said:

Got this from my neighbour, already opened it, so the others ain't getting touched until this is finished. Got it from Aldi, its quite decent.

Open them all and compare them.

45 minutes ago, philpy said:

Do you want to just drink one at a time until it's finished then repeat? 

Obviously it's up to you, but that's a bit of a bizarre way to go about it IMO.

On 06/05/2017 at 23:31, philpy said:

Got this lot for my 40th b17bca890bed5210092e27e65cdcf47b.jpg

have to admit i thought Glenfiddich 12yr  was a bit of a brand, but bloody hell it is nice smooth stuff. Glenmorangie is overpriced for what it is and certainly wouldn't try glenalba in a pub as it is likely £50-60 a bottle retail lol but bet it tastes sweet as, hide that one from the mates. Late night nice sunsets a wee treat i would think.

On Mon May 15 2017 at 17:46, Bairnardo said:

Longrow Red en route. Anyone tried?

If it's the port finished one I've heard good things.

Ordered a couple of new ones today. Glenfarclas 105 which I've been dying to try, Port Charlotte Islay Barley and Laphroiag 10 - not to try just to have a bottle in the house, don't really have many peat monsters lying about and it's good for a change of pace.

Does anyone know if there are any sites I could use to price selling a bottle that I have. I used to check thewhiskyexchange.com to at least get an idea of what they sell it for, problem is that they're now out of it and have been for a year or so. The last price it was selling at was around £200 I wouldn't expect that for it, if I'm honest I'm not looking to sell it right now anyway but would just like a rough worth for it. I got a good few bottles from my uncle who lived up north, he used to get them at about £15 a bottle. As far as i know Macallan were planing on changing the bottle style, people kept lifting them by the cork and with a heavy glass bottom this ment people constantly dropping them. In the end they just decided to discontinue it rather than go through with this. I've got 2 bottles left that I plan on keeping and hopefully making a few quid on.

IMG_8266_4.jpg

33 minutes ago, GiGi said:

The f**k is that?! Whisky with maple and pecan? 25%?

It was a kind of love/hate situation with anyone that I know who tried it, I have a sweet tooth and loved it but if you left the glass sitting over night your house would smell sickly sweet for days.

On 14/05/2017 at 21:02, Ziggy said:

Just tried Talisker Darkstorm and Glenlivet Nadurra Oloroso. They're both lovely, I'm drunk.

I've tried both of these again. They are lovely but you can tell* that there has been quite young spirit added to them.

I'll enjoy finishing the bottles but I won't buy either again. I think I'd just get the Glenlivet or Talisker 12yo.

*I'm guessing.

Edited by Ziggy

On 2017-5-17 at 12:59, GiGi said:

Ordered a couple of new ones today. Glenfarclas 105 which I've been dying to try, Port Charlotte Islay Barley and Laphroiag 10 - not to try just to have a bottle in the house, don't really have many peat monsters lying about and it's good for a change of pace.

Got the Laphroaig and the Port Charlotte today. If you see this stuff and haven't already tried it, do yourself a favour. Magic. Will buy again. Bit dear cost me £46 for this one but I think you get what you pay for here.

Edit to add 50% abv, good move bottling at that strength. It's very bold and not just overly peaty. Won't bore you with an in depth analysis but I can see this being a favourite. 

3RAkoxg.jpg

Edited by GiGi