What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Wes Craven's They also revolved around monsters that only existed in the dark. Cue lots of flickering lights and suchlike.

Wasn't bad; got a little bit of a soft spot for it. Better than most things that WC actually directed post-Nightmare on Elm Street.

Ill need to look that out. Thought the gimmick was tremendous.

Just now, Randy Giles said:

Ill need to look that out. Thought the gimmick was tremendous.

It's OK; don't build your hopes up and you'll enjoy it more.

Think it's out of print now, but it looks like LoveFilm still have a copy. Or there's, y'know...*cough*...rhymes with "Schmirate Bay"?

Lights Out - 6.5/10. Decent enough hour and a half. Great idea, decent acting by horror standards aside from the wee boy who pulled the weirdest facial expressions throughout. Echo Randy Giles' comments about the ending - its great. Might sleep with my lights on tonight right enough...

On 8/23/2016 at 23:58, Randy Giles said:

Lights Out

Naw really sure how we've not had this type of horror villain yet. We've had variations on it, but not exactly this. Given how basic the premise is, it's kinda shocking. The basic premise is, it's a thing that can attack only with no light on it. It's a VERY effective gimmick and it works through the whole movie. Another big positive is the cast throwing everything behind it. Especially a brilliantly unhinged Maria Bello. I'd say it's a bit over reliant on loud scares and jumps, but given how many of them work, even when they're obvious, I can't fault it for that, and the tension has the hands over the eyes at times. Also points for a bloody good ending. Points away for the back story to the monster being daft as f**k, but it's a horror movie, so exceptions need to be made at times. I loved this.

9/10

Was it the original Swedish version you watched or the remake?

ETA LOL, just found out the original is only 3 minutes long!

Edited by Arch Stanton

Requiem For A Dream 7/10

Pretty bonkers, started getting on me tits a bit with the 'clunk click' editing, reminded me of some recent tv ad (which has probably nicked the idea from this film), pretty good though, I guess you could call it arthousey

The Assassination of Jesse James  8.5/10

Directed by the coward Robert Ford apparently, never heard of him. Seen this at the time it came out alongside (not 'alongside' but around the same time as) the other two big ticket 'new westerns' (Blood, Country) and thought it the lesser of the three, still pretty good. Bought it on DVD for £1 @ Poundland and I think I'm going to bump it up ahead of No Country, which I don't even know if I like anymore.

Good little tale about how the post-James Gang bandits assembled by Frank and Jesse unravelled and turned in on each other. Might be my favourite Brad Pitt role too. Surprised Casey Affleck hasn't had a Paul Dano-esque career on the back of this too - he's great as the callow, empty, melancholy Bob.

It looks great (Roger Deakins on cinematography) and the cast is big ticket ensemble (Renner, Deschanel, Rockwell, Sam Shepard, Mary-Louise Parker, even the great Ted Levine is it in a tiny role) and the music by Cave and Ellis is really good. The only shit bit in it is Nick Cave himself turns up in a scene right near the end hamming it up whilst playing a song

Edited by Christophe

7 hours ago, Christophe said:

Requiem For A Dream 7/10

Pretty bonkers, started getting on me tits a bit with the 'clunk click' editing, reminded me of some recent tv ad (which has probably nicked the idea from this film), pretty good though, I guess you could call it arthousey

Great film; grim as f**k mind.

10 hours ago, Christophe said:

Requiem For A Dream 7/10

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Great film; grim as f**k mind.

It's a good film, but, and I'm sure I said the same a while back, if you want a cautionary tale about smack, "Candy", with Heath Ladger and Geoffrey Rush, is far superior, imho. Oh, and Abbie Cornish in the title role. :wub:

Requiem is more in yer face, but Candy kind of, well, stays with you - popping up in your mind at random quiet moments in the days and weeks after watching.

Lights Out

Naw really sure how we've not had this type of horror villain yet. We've had variations on it, but not exactly this. Given how basic the premise is, it's kinda shocking. The basic premise is, it's a thing that can attack only with no light on it. It's a VERY effective gimmick

Darkness Falls.

Anyway, I went to see Suicide Squad last night - it was like how I'd imagine it would be to be assaulted by a gang of teenagers with ADHD. Avoid

4/10

Throne of Blood 7/10

MacBeth but in Japan, Milfune is great in the lead role, one of the few people who can really over-act and get away with it. Quite a pacey adaption, lot of good set pieces, think this Kurosawa fella might be onto something! 

Watched Suicide Squad, can see how people would hate it but I enjoyed it. Biggest problem they have is the Marvel films. The characters in the "DC-verse" shit over their Marvel counterparts, but this, and Batman v Superman, have both felt rushed, and its as if they decided halfway through they needed to make the films more "wacky" to differentiate them from the Marvel films. Some of the humour is pretty forced aswell.

Once they calm down these films will be sensational though, Harley Quinn was perfect, and even the Joker is played closer to the comic book version than in Nolans version.