What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Arthur Christmas:
Watched it last night with the family. It's probably my favourite Christmas movie (albeit probably not the best).
The characters are all written very well, the voice-acting is great, it's funny, clever and tugs on the heartstrings. I really don't have a bad word to say about it.
If you have young children or younger brothers and sisters (and even if you don't), it's an absolute must this team of year.
10/10

The Wailing

Korean movie, in which strange murders are taking place, and a bumbling police officer is on the case. To say anymore than that is to give away too much I reckon. It's a horror movie, and at times, it's a genuinely tense and scary one. The most tense scenes are probably bordering on difficult to watch, and the lead character is superbly built through the movie. On top of that, the ending is about as good a movie ending as I've seen. I can't really find the words to describe just how good this movie is. Wish I'd done my top 10 of the year later, as I get the feeling that when I go back and think about it later, this would easily hit the top spot.

10/10

Rogue One 4/10

A sarky big robot sidekick had plenty of funny lines (though nobody else in the cinema seemed to be laughing) but otherwise I found it pretty dull. I don't really 'get' Gareth Edwards and find his work too slow and lacking enough too keep me awake. The clunky 70s style close ups and cheesy lines of the fighter pilots really didn't work (for me). I've never been a big Star Wars fan but I enjoyed Phantom Menace and was disappointed in how dull this was.

The Wind of Change. 9/10.

Watching it just now on Talking Pictures channel. Old film from 1961 that is set against the old Notting Hill race troubles. Starring Johnny Briggs who was later to be Mike Baldwin in Corrie. Donald Pleasance plays his old man. Powerful stuff with very strong rascist tone. Great little twist with the very last sentence of the script.

I love all these old British films that are on that channel

David Brent: Life On The Road 3/10

Ouch! This is really piss poor and I only watched it because it was free. Really melancholic and we GET the pathos thing now, yes we do, yes we're meant to feel sorry for him, thanks for hammering that in. It's so FLAT, it's so increasingly obvious that Merchant was the only good thing to happen to Gervais

A Bigger Splash 7/10

Ralph Fiennes gives an over the top performance which borders on shit and Dakota Johnson is supposed to be 17 even though she's about ten years older (didn't know her parents were Melanie Griffiths and Don Johnson!) but apart from that nae bad

On 29/12/2016 at 17:12, Christophe said:

Under The Skin 9/10

Wow. Incredible, elemental and haunting. One of the most singular and effective films I've seen in years. Impressively otherworldly and deeply moving

And you get to see Scarlett Johansson in the nack. TBH I think she looked better than usual in that film with her dark hair and cheapo Primark jeans.

On 29/12/2016 at 17:12, Christophe said:

Under The Skin 9/10

Wow. Incredible, elemental and haunting. One of the most singular and effective films I've seen in years. Impressively otherworldly and deeply moving

It's a stunning piece of work. Such a bold way to adapt a book - chuck out all the exposition and let the viewer mull it over.

A Monster Calls

9/10 (though tempted to say 10/10)

My film of 2017 so far;)

Not cried so much since wee El Bak signed for Dundee. Cinemas will need to mop the place after showings. I'd feared it was going to be a bit earnest (going by the trailer) but it was so good. Does that Pan's Labyrinth thing of blending fantasy and reality and focussing on a kid having to deal with some brutal truths about the adult world.