What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Arrival 3/10

This looked promising but was a serious let down. Don't get me wrong, the acting was decent and the characters were mostly engaging, but...

These aliens have been studying us and have traveled across space and possible time to impart some secret to us. But somehow, they aren't able to learn our language? They just arrive and then hang around, saying hee-haw.

Amy Adams character masters their language and then is able to see through time to a future meeting with General Shang, who tells her what she said to him in the past, so she can tell herself what she said in the past, so she can say it in the present... Paradoxically speaking that one wouldn't get past a junior editor on Doctor Who.

Any sense of danger or doom was removed when she started seeing into the future, revealing the happily ever after co-existence at the ambassadors reception. 

It was also obvious from fairly early on that her memories of her daughter weren't memories of the past, but foreseeing the future.

It's getting rave reviews, but like the alien ships, it goes over my head...

Edited by jester
Fuckwittery

Watched the extended version of 'The Shining' (1980) on Blu-ray (run time 144 minutes)

When I say extended, this is the original U.S. theatrical release.  The European film release (including the DVD and Blu-ray) had 25 minutes cut from it.

So quite a few scenes from the film I had never seen before, and I think the film is better in its original 144 min length.

The 144 min Blu-ray version was released in Britain (HMV exclusive) in October.  It also includes some prints.

http://store.hmv.com/film-tv/blu-ray/the-shining-(hmv-exclusive)?gclid=CJ2U4dOc6dACFTMW0wod0n8EWg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edit to add: that link says 115 mins but that is the DVD version you also get (4:3) cropped.  What you get is a 2hr 24m Blu-ray (1.85:1) and a 1hr 55m DVD (4:3)

Edited by FlyerTon

Snowden 8/10

Im a big fan of both films based on true events and also CIA, NSA type stuff so this was right up my street. Conspiracy director Oliver Stone portrays the story of hacker Edward Snowden in his battle between serving his country and standing up for whats right. Most people know what went on already so i wont spoil anything for those who havent but i enjoyed it despite the lengthy 2:14hrs running time

A reviewer on IMDB recommended watching Citizenfour first which I had never heard of. I took the advice and watched both yesterday and really enjoyed them. The film is very true to the documentary even down to the hotel chairs and grumpy Scots journalist.

Bleed For This - 8/10. Aaron Eckhart was outstanding, as was Miles Teller who I'm usually not a big fan of. Amazing story.

Allied - 7/10. Slow first half hour, then once it kicked into life, it was intriguing. Great ending as well.

Sully - 6/10. Phoned in performance from Tom Hanks, but generally okay.

Snowden - 5/10. There were far too many overacted cliched scenes, however it was decent enough. The girl in it (Shailene someone) was great I though (and a total wid).

The Edge Of Seventeen - 9/10. Loved this. Woody Harrelson is amazing and this was an unexpected surprise when I was dragged along to see it.

Dr Strange: 8/10

Went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. A good witty script, decent characters and no filler.

As with all Marvel films there's the obligatory post credits sequence. Why do folk still leave before that comes up? 

The Whole Truth - Keanu Reeves does his The Devil's Advocate small-town lawyer thing again, this time to defend the son of a wealthy friend who freely admits to killing his own father.

Decent enough courtroom drama, utilising the old standard of flashback scenes to reveal details of the build-up to the murder. Unfortunately, when the inevitable twist comes, it isn't massively interesting and is a let-down after an otherwise solid 90 minutes. Keanu's OK, more so than you'd expect, but Jim Belushi impresses most in an unusual straight role, and I was wishing that we'd seen a bit more of his character by the end. Renee Zelwegger's decent as the mother, playing the character with enough of an enigmatic air of possible trauma that you know she's hiding something, but not quite what its nature is.

(apparently this was Zellweger's first role back after an extended absence from movies and, I know this is old news, but you'd never believe it was her if it wasn't for the voice. God knows what happened, but she looks like a completely different person; they must've had to CG the shit out of her for the last Bridget Jones film)

Watched a film on film4 last night called the company men. Very good wee film about the 2008 economic crash - and how corporate America crumbled.

Ben Affleck, Kevin Costner, and Tommy Lee Jones. If you liked 'other people's money' than this is worth a watch.

Wild Bill,  a London gangster(or maybe more accurately kitchen sink crime drama)  film directed by Dexter(press gang) Fletcher. I had the lowest expectations for this film when I decided to watch it after exhausting everything else on Amazon Video. Maybe it was because I watched it expecting a really terrible 'Lock Stock' style film, which is how it seems to have been promoted that I'm rating it so highly but I found it surprisingly excellent, I cared about the characters who were well written,the lead actor was particularly good, it was subtle if a bit predictable. Far more in the style of 'Sweet Sixteen' than the 'geezer gangster' films that populate Netflix and Amazon. 8/10