What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Greasy Strangler 7/10

Christ! I knew this was gonna be a bit weird but fuckinell! It's kinda like Napolean Dynamite but more extreme and deliberate in its shitness, think it tips over more to the 'so bad it's bad' side of things rather than 'so bad it's good'. A film that needs to be experienced  however

Nocturnal Animals 8/10

Great film (story within a story scenario, Amy Adams is divine, lovely cinematography natch, natch, natch) but the opening credits are probably the most disgusting thing I've witnessed on the big screen. Seriously, I nearly lost my fish supper over the old burd in front of me. They also insulted my sensibilities as a feminist.

Fish Tank 5/10

Bit of council estate realism from one of Britain's few reasonably well-known female directors (Andrea Arnold).

Funny how realism dates isn't it. Like 50s post-war European realism seems sort of absurdly manufactured now. Same with this, to a certain extent. A diverting two hours in the life of a girl approaching womanhood with her shit parent and shit prospects and no way out except for a horse and a slightly grabby Michael Fassbender and a pikey guy with a horse and a knackered Volvo. Not relentlessly grim, but grim, and kind of poetic in its way. I think films like this always end up feeling a bit heavy-handed. Lead role is played by a non-actor and it starts to tell

Nocturnal Animals 8/10

Great film (story within a story scenario, Amy Adams is divine, lovely cinematography natch, natch, natch) but the opening credits are probably the most disgusting thing I've witnessed on the big screen. Seriously, I nearly lost my fish supper over the old burd in front of me. They also insulted my sensibilities as a feminist.

I don't know what they were thinking with the opening scenes. It kind of puts you off recommending the film, which otherwise was brilliant.

Gone Girl:
Very, very fucked up, but I really liked it. It's edge of your seat pretty much the whole way through it, and considering it was 2 and a half hours, the fact that it didn't really drag in at all is a good achievement. The acting in it is great as well.
8.5/10

Had a couple of days off sick so watched two documentaries on Netflix:

Merchants of Doubt: about the pseudo-experts who are put up by lobbying firms to defend, for example, climate change skepticism. Really depressing how a few powerful firms can completely change a nation's mindset about an issue that the entire scientific community agrees on.  

The Barclay Marathon: The Race That Eats It's Young: absolutely loved this - a mental ultramarathon that goes on in rural Tennessee. You have to write an essay to try to enter and pay the $1.60 application fee, if you get selected you get a letter of condolence. Over 100 miles, climbing and descending 120,000 feet over 60 hours. The guy that set it up is a legend, one of the best things I have seen in ages. 

Had it downloaded for ages but only recently got round to watching 'Pontypool'. It's a Canadian film and I knew nothing about it going in. Would strongly recommend if you watch it to do the same and not google it. Not that there's loads of twists and turns or anything but it's a complete exercise in tension building and mind fuckery.

It's set solely in a small town radio station hosted by a former big city shock jock. About a breaking story that's going on in the local area. The performance of the lead actor (Steven McHattie) is absolutely superb, his tone, facial expressions and body language carry the film in many ways.

It's difficult to describe in all honesty and some folk will absolutely detest it, but it puts a very unique spin on a genre that's been done to death recently.

On 11/7/2016 at 10:47, GrahamJags said:

Nocturnal Animals - 8/10. Very good watch. Will also echo what KPM said about Shannon being great. Similar character to Jeff Bridges' in Hell Or High Water, but maybe not quite as good.

Doctor Strange - 4/10. Not a massive Marvel/superhero fan but thought the first hour was great before it became a bit of a mess in the second.

The Accountant - 3/10. Couldn't get into this at all. Ben Affleck was pretty dreadful as the lead.

The Light Between Oceans - 7/10. Really enjoyed this. Hadn't read the books so I enjoyed the storyline. Ending is pretty predictable, but still managed to make me shed a tear. 

I saw this last night and think you're being a bit harsh.  Would give it a 6/10.  Wasn't what I was expecting but did think it was enjoyable.  Affleck did a good job I felt.  The twist of who the bad guy was though was too obvious for me!  

Still don't get why the firm actually hired him to do the work or why he loved the Autistic school so much.  He never even went there except for one day!