What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

(79)

The Lazarus Effect (? Might be The Lazarus Experiment) 1/10

Can't remember and can't even be arsed checking. Olivia Wilde, Childish Gambino and 3 others develop a serum that can re-animate the dead. Cue mishaps. Set entirely inside a laboratory, probably to save money, it doesn't even feel like a proper film, it's one idea going nowhere. Complete toss. One point for the cute redhead.

(80)

I Am Your Father 6/10

Doco about Dave Prowse, never has such a boring man had such an interesting life! I knew he was the GCC man but didn't know he was a big Hammer Horror star. Really quite sad how he fell out with Lucasfilm. Happy-ish ending though

Raw - French-Belgian horror/coming of age film. A young veterinary student arrives at University and begins to experience distinct changes to her personality after being forced to eat a raw rabbit kidney. Previously a hardcore vegetarian she starts to crave meat and worse.

It sounds a bit b-movie the way I've written it but it really isn't. It's a very well shot allegorical movie with great performances from all. Some scenes are pretty stomach churning (I'm not fussed by gore but people being sick is difficult) but it's never a splatter film. To be honest, a lot of it reminded me of being at University, trying to fit in, trying to figure out who you are and maybe doing things that aren't really you. Although I never actually ate anyone. [emoji102]

8/10 rating

Free Fire - the new Ben Wheatley movie is a Martin Scorsese produced shoot out thriller set in a 1970s Boston warehouse. A group of IRA men are there to purchase assault rifles from a group of assorted criminals. The tension is understandable and after unforeseen flash points the transaction explodes into a shoot out.

It's an odd film, totally stripped down. The whole thing consists of the two sides shooting it out in a warehouse. Wheatley said he wanted to react to the CGI-ing of action films and it certainly does that. From the start almost everyone is winged in some form and spend most of the film rolling around in the dirt, ruining their fetching 70s suits with blood and grime. It's a really funny film, mainly as the whole thing is kind of ridiculous but also plausible so you run with it. The performances are excellent as well, Sam Riley is great as an excitable junkie, Cillian Murphy is good as the focussed IRA man and Sharlto Copley as the wannabe arms dealer.

The sound is brilliant as bullets ping and whizz and the script is a hoot. There's a line about Copleys character "he was misdiagnosed as a child genius and he hasn't recovered" is very clever and sets the tone. I can see why people might not like it but I thought it was really entertaining.

8/10

No list, just seek out stuff I'll be interested in. Usually either by director, or if I do google something to find inspiration then it's to see what's been rated at festivals etc. Big doco fan so tend to hoover up anything in that genre.

In this case Jarmusch, doco and The Stooges was a no brainer!

Edited by Christophe

No list, just seek out stuff I'll be interested in. Usually either by director, or if I do google something to find inspiration then it's to see what's been rated at festivals etc. Big doco fan so tend to hoover up anything in that genre.
In this case Jarmusch, doco and The Stooges was a no brainer!

Another question. Where do you find these films? Netflix, amazon, you tube or some 'special' video shop?

Lots of them are on Netflix/Amazon/SkyGo, likes of Film4 are good for a lot of international stuff. As far as the docos go, you can actually find a lot of recent stuff on YT/DailyMotion etc. Also still buy DVDs cheap from CEX/game exchange places etc. I go to GFT/Filmhouse/Cameo quite a bit too. No one answer I suppose, mixed bag

Lots of them are on Netflix/Amazon/SkyGo, likes of Film4 are good for a lot of international stuff. As far as the docos go, you can actually find a lot of recent stuff on YT/DailyMotion etc. Also still buy DVDs cheap from CEX/game exchange places etc. I go to GFT/Filmhouse/Cameo quite a bit too. No one answer I suppose, mixed bag

Please don't get Kodi. You'll become this guy

ImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1491764714.678097.jpg

Deja Vu

Denzel Washington is a Federal Agent who hops back in time to try and stop a terrorist bomb blowing up a ferry. Some good action and as long as you don't try to analyse it too much and just go with the obvious plot holes then it's not too bad.    6.5/10

Calvary

Brendan Gleeson very much lifts this film above average. He strikes an imposing figure as a priest who is given a death threat during a confessional. During the next week he goes about his normal pastoral duties but all the locals seem to be oddballs in one way or another. There is a lot of dark humour, some works well some falls flat and the ending is pretty shocking.  7/10

(84)

The Fainting 4/10

Set in an all-girls comprehensive in the 1960s. Staring some burd from the programme about medieval jam or whatever that EVERYONE LOVES. Some girl faints and dies then loads other faints. Nice idea but seems like it was fucked with by the studio. Could have gone in some great directions...didn't. Really force pastoral atmosphere with neo-folk and shots of trees

Kong: Skull Island. 6/10

Enjoyed the other Monsters involved, and the story flipping a bit involving Sam L's character but I was a bit underwhelmed.
Not enough Kong in it but a quality fight scene near the end involving him.

The Boss Baby. 7.5/10

Watched this with the family and a few wee daft laugh out loud moments, good fun and good patter by Baldwin.

Deja Vu
Denzel Washington is a Federal Agent who hops back in time to try and stop a terrorist bomb blowing up a ferry. Some good action and as long as you don't try to analyse it too much and just go with the obvious plot holes then it's not too bad.    6.5/10
Calvary
Brendan Gleeson very much lifts this film above average. He strikes an imposing figure as a priest who is given a death threat during a confessional. During the next week he goes about his normal pastoral duties but all the locals seem to be oddballs in one way or another. There is a lot of dark humour, some works well some falls flat and the ending is pretty shocking.  7/10

Watched The Guard starring Brendan Gleeson on Sunday.
Absolutely brilliant performance from him and still laugh out loud even though I've seen it as many times.