What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Get out
Pretty underwhelming, tbh. Read rakes of great reviews for it but had guessed the plot as soon as you see the maid, and there wasn't a single twist you don't see coming. Standard thoughtless horror that relies entirely on racial undertones to explain an absolutely dreadful plot. 
Superb acting by the lead is the only reason it's watchable at all. 
Felt exactly the same as you RandomGuy. It was a good film with a dumb, predictable plot twist. I enjoyed it enough on its own merits but after everyone losing their mind about it being the best film of 2017 I expected some kind of classic and it just isn't.

I found that watching Get Out a second time made me appreciate it a lot more. 

On first viewing, the atmosphere, tension and discomfort it all was outstanding, mostly thanks to Jordan Peele's direction and writing but also due to the acting. It ignores the stereotypical racism found in most films and explores something far more sinister: the kid-on progressives. The father in it is an encapsulation of this with his awkward "my man" stuff and "I would have voted for Obama time if I could". The scene is great for this too, and the setup with the blind man and his parallels with the father are very clever. 

The second time made me notice a lot more of the excellent pieces of foreshadowing laced throughout, and some of the visual metaphors are terrific.

I found that watching Get Out a second time made me appreciate it a lot more. 

On first viewing, the atmosphere, tension and discomfort it all was outstanding, mostly thanks to Jordan Peele's direction and writing but also due to the acting. It ignores the stereotypical racism found in most films and explores something far more sinister: the kid-on progressives. The father in it is an encapsulation of this with his awkward "my man" stuff and "I would have voted for Obama time if I could". The scene is great for this too, and the setup with the blind man and his parallels with the father are very clever. 

The second time made me notice a lot more of the excellent pieces of foreshadowing laced throughout, and some of the visual metaphors are terrific.

I really must get round to watching this.

ETA....just watched it. Starts not too bad and turns utter shite. 50's B movie quality

3/10

On 3/5/2018 at 13:35, accies1874 said:

Quick-fire Roundup:

I, Tonya (2018): Great acting, great pacing; good soundtrack, good writing. 

Journeyman (2018): Clumsy dialogue and questionable character motives hinder its potential, which is frustrating given that Paddy Considine seems to be a good director and ideas-man. 

Call Me By Your Name (2017): A calming yet profound film about mental inadequacies and self-acceptance told from the perspective of Elio, a teenager played by the wonderfully understated Timothee Chalamet. It approaches a tender subject with a confidence in itself that makes you revel in its long takes and drawn out scenes, which all really allow you to soak it all in and reflect on every moment. 

Tales from the Crypt (1972): Campy and determined to bang the message over your head, but each story is creepy and tense mainly due to an excellent understanding of knowing what to show and what to hide. 

Lady Bird (2018): This is what 'Boyhood' could and should have been. While it is light on plot, the characters are so rounded, engaging and incredibly realistic that every frame spent with them is engrossing. Gerwig perfectly captures the essence of what being in your late-teens is like thanks to her excellent script and assured direction that never loses focus of weaving in what it wants to say. Despite most of the scenes being unusually short, they add up to an overall greatness due to how much is packed into them. 

Tales From The Crypt: Demon Knight was on the telly the other day. Gave it a rewatch because I've seen it a handful of times and always liked it whenever I've seen it. Billy Zane is great to watch because he's clearly having a lot of fun playing his role.

Three Billboards was a good film, although it is a bit confusing. I was expecting it to be more of a black comedy in keeping with the likes of In Bruges, but it's not really that kind of film. 

Spoiler

I think the whole point at the end is that the two of them are at least questioning whether going off to kill the guy is the right thing to do, rather than just blindly following through with their emotions?

They might do it, they might not, we don't get to find out, but either way at least they're now thinking about their actions, whether they're doing the right thing and the impact they might cause.

Also enjoyed Tyrion dishing out a well-earned telt near the end.

4 hours ago, wellinwigan said:

Red sparrow

6/10

Not to bad spy thriller.J law gets her tits out but at nearly 2 and half hours a bit overly long

Sounds like a cracking length of time for Jen to have her tits out to me

20 hours ago, wellinwigan said:

Red sparrow

6/10

Not to bad spy thriller.J law gets her tits out but at nearly 2 and half hours a bit overly long

The wife took me to see this (honest!). I found myself in the strange situation where the "whore school" half hour was the least entertaining for me, despite JLaw being undressed. Seemed like a long, unnecessary diversion away from what was a half decent spy film. 

Some bits almost made the wife puke.  The leg-break at the start, and stripping off the guy's skin. 

I'd agree on the grade - 6/10

2 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

I quite enjoy the Fast and Furious movies as mindless fun. That one was fucking shit though.

I can't watch them since the death of Paul Walker (RIP).

Although I didn't watch them before that either.

Finally watched No Country for Old Men after putting it off for nearly 10 years. Great film up until the non event of an ending. Yet another film whose Academy Award for Best Picture proves that to win the best award in Cinema you just have to be better than all the rest rather than outstanding on your own merits.

And people say this is the Cohens best film? They did Big Lebowski for f**k sake.

12 hours ago, Crroma said:

Finally watched No Country for Old Men after putting it off for nearly 10 years. Great film up until the non event of an ending. Yet another film whose Academy Award for Best Picture proves that to win the best award in Cinema you just have to be better than all the rest rather than outstanding on your own merits.

And people say this is the Cohens best film? They did Big Lebowski for f**k sake.

I’d say the very definition of “Best Picture” in any given year, and indeed the criteria is to be better than all the rest...what are you suggesting the criteria be? Outstanding on its own merits?? What on earth are you on about? It’s not a Hall of Fame, it’s quite literally the Best Picture Of 2018/17/16/15 delete as appropriate!