What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

(18)

Darkest Hour 0/10

A well-crafted, beautifully-shot film with stellar performances from top to bottom. I fucking hated it. Actually I was going along with it for the most part until a scene at the start of the third act when Churchill uses the Tube to get to Parliament, at which I literally cringed my balls right off. (cinema)

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, 8/10. Frances McDormand is a cracking actress. My only gripe was a couple of actors playing too stupid for comic effect, and to make the audience feel clever. But it was meant to be a black comedy, so you have to allow some slap stick in a dark tale. Great short story though, you could imagine Elmore Leonard writing it.

P.S. The introduction of black characters and a dwarf also seemed to be to lighten the mood for comic effect. Seemed a bit clumsy.

Edited by welshbairn

(19)

The Post 4/10

This was weirdly hard to follow considering how much was spelt out to the audience in clunky expositional dialogue, and several characters and their roles could not be distinguished from each other.  Ladlefuls of the usual Spielberg schmaltz too, although to be fair plenty of the expected solid camerawork. Bob Odenkirk and David Cross were excellent though, they should give those guys a TV show. (cinema)

The Godfather Part II, have seen it many times before but just took a notion tonight to watch it again.

I believe it's better than the original, the two timelines  are engrossing and the way they both pan out is a joy to watch.

De Niro's obsessive attention to detail, spending months in Sicily to learn, not just Italian, but the Sicilian dialect is impressive. He won the Oscar for BSA  despite only uttering a few words in English.

After watching it I realised I'd watched all 5 of John Cazale's films in the last few months (Godfather and Part II,  The Conversation, Dog Day Afternoon and The Deer Hunter). That's quite an oeuvre as they are all tremendous films.

18 minutes ago, Christophe said:

(18)

Darkest Hour 0/10

A well-crafted, beautifully-shot film with stellar performances from top to bottom. I fucking hated it. Actually I was going along with it for the most part until a scene at the start of the third act when Churchill uses the Tube to get to Parliament, at which I literally cringed my balls right off. (cinema)

LoL, it is a dreadful scene, are we really to believe the inspiration for one of the greatest pieces of oration in modern times  was  a blether with some randoms on an underground ride?

The Godfather Part II, have seen it many times before but just took a notion tonight to watch it again. I believe it's better than the original, the two timelines  are engrossing and the way they both pan out is a joy to watch. De Niro's obsessive attention to detail, spending months in Sicily to learn, not just Italian, but the Sicilian dialect is impressive. He won the Oscar for BSA  despite only uttering a few words in English.

After watching it I realised I'd watched all 5 of John Cazale's films in the last few months (Godfather and Part II,  The Conversation, Dog Day Afternoon and The Deer Hunter). That's quite an oeuvre as they are all tremendous films.

I believe that Cazale is the only actor whose every film was Oscar-nominated. The run continued even after his death as he has a flashback scene in Godfather 3.

I think Godfather and Godfather 2 are as close to perfect film-making as it's possible to get. Godfather 3 is not bad, really. Just nowhere near as good as its predecessors.

27 minutes ago, Christophe said:

(18)

Darkest Hour 0/10

Agree about the tube scene, and it seemed to be too much about how well Gary Oldman could act in a blancmange suit and still get an Oscar for the studio. But there was the everyman tale that even a drunken idiot can get his day and save the world. Hope for us all.

I, Tonya. 7/10.

A style of film that is probably not to everybody’s taste with all the talking to the cameras stuff. She did appear to have a shit life and her maw was a total harridan, and her hubby was a p***k. Having watched it though I do believe that she knew nothing about the attack to Kerrigan. Totally loved the very last words though.

6 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

The Godfather Part II, have seen it many times before but just took a notion tonight to watch it again.

I believe it's better than the original, the two timelines  are engrossing and the way they both pan out is a joy to watch.

De Niro's obsessive attention to detail, spending months in Sicily to learn, not just Italian, but the Sicilian dialect is impressive. He won the Oscar for BSA  despite only uttering a few words in English.

They're all great films, haven't actually heard of John Cazale before will look him up later. 

(19)
The Post 4/10
This was weirdly hard to follow considering how much was spelt out to the audience in clunky expositional dialogue, and several characters and their roles could not be distinguished from each other.  Ladlefuls of the usual Spielberg schmaltz too, although to be fair plenty of the expected solid camerawork. Bob Odenkirk and David Cross were excellent though, they should give those guys a TV show. (cinema)
Watched this last night. A bit heavy going at times and didn't find it that interesting.
5/10

Wonder 8/10

Lovely film about a boy with facial deformities who has to join middle school after being homeschooled from his mum (Julia Roberts). His battle trying to blend in with his classmates is both heartbreaking and uplifting. Can be a bit of a tear-jerker at times