What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

On 02/03/2019 at 23:19, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Independence Day 2.
Jesus fucking Christ.

Nearly five years posting on P&B and this is the first time I've come into this thread, in the hope someone else watched this travesty at the weekend. This might be the worst film I've ever seen.

Went to see Free Solo at the GFT tonight. It’s absolutely excellent. A couple of the scenes are full on heart in mouth stuff.

It’s available for heehaw on demand. Watched it the other night. Ended up watching the first 15 mins then getting very bored and fast-forwarding to the last 20 mins for the actual climb. His burd is a total piece though.

Captain Marvel

Spoiler

Loved Thor Ragnarok, Black Panther and especially Infinity War so war really looking forward to this. Underwhelming is the word that repeatedly comes to mind. For me the best parts of the movie come before and after the film itself. The updated Marvel Studios scroll that they have at the start of every movie would bring a tear to a glass eye, and the first post-credit seen was the only other time in the 2+ hours I felt emotion of any other kind. 

I guess the overall thing about the movie is that it's kinda boring. You keep waiting for it to get going but it never truely does. People were leaving their seats to go to the toilet and I caught myself on Facebook a couple of times.  Character development is very one-dimensional, acting seems pretty poor, there's no subtlety about the music (which to be fair brought back some nice memories personally but along with the references to slow internet are the only reminders that the film is supposed to be set in the 90s) or the "humour". Most strikingly though is that Brie Larson's character is just pretty annoying. She's obnoxious throughout and generally comes across pretty unlikeable. 

It's not a bad movie by any means, just cliched and, well, average. Marvel has raised the bar recently and there is so much expectation on this movie that it kind of failed to deliver IMO. But not long to wait until the next Avengers movie. Captain Marvel will make a tonne of money then by the time people realise that it isn't actually all that good, it'll be time for Endgame. 

The second Post-credit scene is a monumental waste of time. Like Ant-Man and the Wasp drum-playing bad. The movie's failed "humour" at play again. 

6/10

Edited by Booker_d

2 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

It’s available for heehaw on demand. Watched it the other night. Ended up watching the first 15 mins then getting very bored and fast-forwarding to the last 20 mins for the actual climb. His burd is a total piece though.

Aye I saw that but I was in town anyway and thought it was worth seeing on the big screen. I thought the whole thing was great tbh. I really enjoyed seeing his preparation and that. One thing that's for sure is that he's definitely on some sort of spectrum as his attitude to the whole thing is just wild. 

On 01/03/2019 at 15:46, Principal Flutie said:

Serenity

So Sky have now put a movie out today in the cinema and on Sky itself. So I thought I'd give it a whirl. Where to fucking start with this. I usually always start with performances so let's start with that I guess as I'd say it's the movie's undoubted success. Not worth singling anyone out, other than Jason Clarke, who's sort of 2D arsehole doesn't really give him much to work with. Then onto the plot... which starts in a fairly basic place and you think you know what the deal is, that doesn't last. Despite the basics of the plot being pretty simple at the first glance, the weirdness is still there to see. Both in the weird performances, and the actual location itself, and some wee guy with glasses that keeps popping up from the very beginning. I won't say much more than that. What I will say is that I got a kick out of the weirdness of it right off the bat. The first scenes with McConaughey and Hounsou and their "clients" is great fun despite being completely mental.

I'm willing to go thumbs a bit on up on this one, but I get the sense a lot of people are going to HATE this.

6/10

Just watched this...utter pish 

1/10

(60-62)

Total Dhamaal 5/10

A screwball comedy like the Lampoon films mixed with that Rat Race road film. It’s so different to them though. Like most comedy lines are accompanied by the Indian equivalent to the slide whistle, and at one point the sad trombone. The CG is laughable, but that works because the whole thing is so ridiculous. It’s Total Nonseense but because it’s all done with such enthusiasm and such a good heart it’s hard not to enjoy it. What really struck me, and this was also the case with the other two Bollywood films I’ve watched recently, is how much of the dialogue is in English. Indeed there are lines spoken in English which are translated differently! The screen was half-full of Hindus who laughed all the way through and I’m certain that I missed several jokes which only make sense if you speak Hindi, but I had the last, or rather first laugh beacuse I was able to read the jokes before the Indians heard them. There were white actors both in the song sequences and non-song sequence!  The women in the song sequences is one thing but there were obviously white males speaking Hindi and I don’t know how normal that is but it did strike me as odd. (cinema)

The Virgin Spring 7.5/10

Ingmar Bergman film from the 1960...flipping brutal this, full on despair, not what I was expecting at ALL. Inspired Last House on the Left apparently (never seen it) and also had shades of Hard to be a God’s medieval grotesque. Max Von Sydow really was a bluddy weird looking lad. (YouTube)

Old Joy 7/10

Bonnie Prince Billy and budget Adrien Brody go for a walk in the woods. *slowcinema* inasmuch as not a lot happens (they meet up, get lost a bit, walk in the woods, go home) but there’s lots of little threads to pull on here. Students hated it, they wanted obstacles overcome and DRAMA and called it “weak”. Sure it isn’t Citizen Kane but it’s a suggestive and atmospheric film, and pleasantly short too (1hr 13). Will Oldham is a good actor. (YouTube)

The Hole in the Ground (2019):
Adapted from the hit TV show Hole in the Wall, HITG takes Ireland's favourite celebrities Scarlett Johansson and Haley Joel Osment and tests their ingenuity and flexibility by requiring them to squeeze through the titular holes in the ground.
This is a laugh-a-minute romp for the whole family to enjoy.

Ghost In The Shell (live action version)

Wasn't sure what to expect after the ruckus over casting, and the impeccable reputation of the original anime but was pleasantly surprised. Slow 2nd act doing a lot of heavy expository lifting (Japanese are much more willing to let you figure things out than spell it out for you) but rattled on after that.

7/10
I watched this a few months ago and thought it had more of a feel of being the finale in a tv show than a stand alone film. There were alot of supporting characters who were there without much back story or giving you any understanding of them.

(63)

The Invisible Man 10/10

Going through the Universal Classic monster series. The Invisible Man is especially warm, with an impressively manic performance from Claude Rains as the titular character driven mad trying to find a cure for his invisibilty. The special effects are still impressive today, so people 85 years ago must have lost their shit. James Whale makes impressive use of all the side characters and sets, with some solid performances bringing a comic warmth to what is actually quite a dark tale. So many amazing parts, but the best bit is when he goes to his old colleague Kemp’s house to demand he be his partner and his outlining his plans....

I must have a partner Kemp, a visible partner, to help me in the little things. You’re my partner, Kemp. We’ll begin with a reign of terror. A few murders here and there”

Brilliant. (Vimeo)

My Universal Monsters list by ranking is now:

1: Bride of Frankenstein 10/10

2: Frankenstein 10/10

3: The Invisble Man 10/10

4: The Creature from the Black Lagoon 10/10

Would love to see ANYONE else beat those scores. 

Captain Marvel

Loved it. Enjoyable as a stand-alone, and the little nods to the rest of the MCU with characters returning (or technically debuting) and other little things tidying up the overall story. Brie Larson is superb as the title character*, and Samuel L Jackson is obviously having fun as (just) Fury. I'm also a huge fan of Coulson, so it was nice to see him again.

Can't wait for Endgame now.

*Brie Larson is just generally superb too.

Green Book. 

Decent watch if a bit cliched at times. Didn’t realise it won best picture at the Oscars and not sure if it merited it tbf.

First Man

Thought it was a bit slow with lots of nobody doing much and Gosling just staring a lot. Got better but would have been interesting to see a take on how Armstrong dealt with the aftermath of the moon landing.  Seemed to have a lot of dust in my eye when he was on the moon tbh.

Green Book. 
Decent watch if a bit cliched at times. Didn’t realise it won best picture at the Oscars and not sure if it merited it tbf.

First Man
Thought it was a bit slow with lots of nobody doing much and Gosling just staring a lot. Got better but would have been interesting to see a take on how Armstrong dealt with the aftermath of the moon landing.  Seemed to have a lot of dust in my eye when he was on the moon tbh.
That's what Gosling does best...e.g Drive or whatever it was called.

On 08/03/2019 at 20:43, MixuFixit said:

Ghost In The Shell (live action version)

Wasn't sure what to expect after the ruckus over casting, and the impeccable reputation of the original anime but was pleasantly surprised. Slow 2nd act doing a lot of heavy expository lifting (Japanese are much more willing to let you figure things out than spell it out for you) but rattled on after that.

7/10

I dunno, I've always found Anime leans into the tell don't show view of exposition. In any event, I saw the movie at the cinema - it's a fine technical achievement but it absolutely rips the arse out of the central philosophical question of the original Anime in favour of a Robocop style remember your identity rehash.

Spoiler

The original asked the question about the nature of humanity in a cybernetic age, how the Major - having an entirely cybernetic body - and cyber brain is still considered human. Thus the idea of the 'Ghost' -  the ineffable quality of consciousness  that separates cyber enhanced humans from AI. Yet as the movie demonstrates through the malleability of the memories of various 'hacked' (the language itself is of machines not people) humans and the nature of the Anime's antagonist Puppetmaster as a self aware artificial entity borne from the net and calls into question that arbitrary barrier created by the concept of the Ghost.  I think the Anime title is basically ironic, in the final analysis there is no ghost in the shell, no inflection point between human and machine. It's a really striking take on the outcome of sufficient cybernetic enhancement, machine learning and net connectivity. Western media is still playing catch up to this day, with only the Westworld series and Blade Runner movies (on a slightly different tangent) really asking the same questions now.

Edited by renton

Moonlight

Finally got around to watching this. I could see how for some it could be too slow or too pretentious but I thought it was pretty jaw-dropping. Knowing how it was semi-autobiograpgical (based on the writer's and the director's lives/families) added real weight to it. The acting and the attention to detail in how it's shot is amazing. #

10/10. I'd have given it 10/10 from a minute or two in. 

Now I can see how the Oscar went to Green Book this year as it's so fluffy compared to this. It's like them showing they can appreciate a serious film and then a more lighthearted one. 

Captain Marvel

It was alright. Couldn't give a f**k about the Kree or the Krull so that hurt things a fair bit. The movie LOOKS great throughout which is a major plus point. The major plus point is Carol Danvers herself. A great character that carries the whole thing even at it's lowest points, and the plot certainly gets really boring. Another big plus point is the use of Nick Fury here. He's always been a fun MCU character so an extended time with him is welcome. I'm willing to go thumbs slightly up on this, but it's probably the worst of the MCU movies in recent years, given the high standards the franchise has set.

6/10