What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Appears The trial of the chicago 7.

Courtroom drama centred on some vietnam protests in the late 60s. 

Unusually for a court thing, very entertaining. Pacey, colourful characters and decent performances. 

I looked into the true story after watching and it appears that a lot of it was actually toned down for the film. There's one bit in particular that i thought "no way that happened" but was apparently far worse in real life 

Spoiler

Black Panthers' Bobby Seale was actually bound and gagged in court for several days. 

They actually missed out a lot of stuff that would have been more entertaining than what made the cut. 

Spoiler

Celebrity witnesses singing, the defence office being bugged, the actual defendants closing remarks

https://famous-trials.com/chicago8/1366-home

It probably would have been difficult to make a coherent plot with the levels of actual chaos being depicted in full. They've chosen a thread to follow and gone with it so it would be difficult to criticise their choice. 

Overall well worth a watch. As a film for entertainment it's a solid 7. 

Unusually for a court thing, very entertaining. Pacey, colourful characters and decent performances. 
I looked into the true story after watching and it appears that a lot of it was actually toned down for the film. There's one bit in particular that i thought "no way that happened" but was apparently far worse in real life 
Spoiler

Black Panthers' Bobby Seale was actually bound and gagged in court for several days. 

They actually missed out a lot of stuff that would have been more entertaining than what made the cut. 
Spoiler

Celebrity witnesses singing, the defence office being bugged, the actual defendants closing remarks

It probably would have been difficult to make a coherent plot with the levels of actual chaos being depicted in full. They've chosen a thread to follow and gone with it so it would be difficult to criticise their choice. 

The transcripts are well worth having a read through as the defendants treated it as the farce that it actually was. I was listening to a podcast on it and allegedly they asked Groucho Marx to testify and he responded claiming that his surname would unfairly prejudice the jury against the 7.

On 08/11/2020 at 12:01, coprolite said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

Aye, there were quite a few bits in it where I thought "that definitely never happened"(some of the darker bits and some of the funny bits I just assumed had been put in to add some humour).

When I looked into it afterwards I was like "fucking hell" :lol:. Like you said, it was actually toned down, which is mental considering what happens in the film

Edited by alang1993

Horror Express

A pretty decent horror/thriller set on a train, with Lee, Cushing and Savalas all working well as a supernatural killer takes victim after victim.

7.5/10

Agreed. SBC was quoted saying it was all genuine. Obviously talking shite unless the two rednecks he stayed with had their house fully connected with remote cameras purely by chance.

I think he’s being a bit economical with the truth.

He’s probably been upfront with the rednecks. But told them he’ll do everything in character and without a script.

Rewatched a bit of it last night but I really can’t see me ever watching the full movie again.

11 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Linking to the IMDb page was easier than typing the title?  :lol:

The elephant scene is hilarious. Also, a brilliant cameo from Bruce Campbell. Might watch it tonight, actually.

The Vanishing - at the turn of the 20th century, a trio of Hebridean lighthouse keepers have some grim decisions to make after an unexpected find washes ashore.

Considering this was based on a real-life mystery that's so open-ended that a writer's imagination could go almost anywhere, this is a disappointingly grounded and predictable effort. However, Peter Mullan and Gerard Butler are both excellent value, so it's one of those films worth watching for the performances rather than the story. Just don't expect a gripping tale, or a satisfying ending.

Just now, BFTD said:

Linking to the IMDb page was easier than typing the title?  :lol:

The elephant scene is hilarious. Also, a brilliant cameo from Bruce Campbell. Might watch it tonight, actually.

The Vanishing - at the turn of the 20th century, a trio of Hebridean lighthouse keepers have some grim decisions to make after an unexpected find washes ashore.

Considering this was based on a real-life mystery that's so open-ended that a writer's imagination could go almost anywhere, this is a disappointingly grounded and predictable effort. However, Peter Mullan and Gerard Butler are both excellent value, so it's one of those films worth watching for the performances rather than the story. Just don't expect a gripping tale, or a satisfying ending.

Ha ffs thought the page would come up

Seventh Son next .