What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

On 25/03/2023 at 07:11, accies1874 said:

12. Pearl - Cinema

I'm not quite sure what to make of this. It's not really a horror, more of a character study into someone who's completely unhinged, but told through a really understated (undercooked?) script. I kept waiting for it to kick into gear, thinking that blood and guts were just around the corner, but then I realised that there was 15 minutes left and that was never coming. So it's not a horror, however it's still similar to X in that it takes a certain style and runs with it - imo much more successfully here. X annoyed me as for all its throwback camera tricks and editing, it still just looked like a Netflix movie which was at odds with the style it was trying to convey, but Pearl rectified that almost immediately with its amazingly colourful scenery which I thought was clever on a potentially unintentional meta level as they took a setting previously portrayed as grimy in X and transformed it into somewhere striking. I think that's supposed to portray the farm as a fairytale/idealist classical Hollywood setting with Pearl (the character) waiting to be saved by some outside being, but it of course turns into an anti-fairytale. An enjoyably cynical anti-fairytale, albeit one without a satisfying pay-off imo. The pay-off is really just an extended monologue (how's that for unconventional) by Mia Goth which goes on for about an hour but I'd be lying if I said it didn't have me gripped, possibly the only point where I was gripped throughout the entire film. 

The score arguably played a bigger part in creating the storybook setting than the colour scheme did. Again, a classic Hollywood sort of thing that's an extension of Pearl's mind. She does feel like an underdeveloped wee girl in the world of the film, a wee girl with delusions that feed the whole story. Sadly, on first watch those delusions weren't anywhere near interesting enough to me as it felt like a lot of other repressed star-chaser type of film. I think I'm a bit jaded of them after watching so many in a short space of time a few years ago. At least this has some fun technical things that are enjoyable to experience in a cinema. 

To be honest, with this and X I was kind of left feeling that I liked their concepts but just wanted to see them executed by someone better. 

Agreed. Mia Goth is the best thing in both movies. Both movies have tons of promise but ultimately failed to deliver on it. Ty West has great ideas but he runs out of steam and Goth while great just isn't enough to fill in the shortfall. Still freaks me out when I remember she's English.

078 Licence to Kill -- The Timothy Dalton tenure as 007 ends just as it was getting started and I've got to say, he's pretty underrated in the role. I've enjoyed this and The Living Daylights quite a bit and the timeline back to poor Roger Moore seems lightyears away. Well, miles away. Maybe round the corner a bit. In this one, Bond goes rogue to avenge the death of Felix's wife and the feasting of bits of Felix himself to a peckish tiger shark. Robert Davi is great as the 80s coke-lord alongside a young Benicio Del Toro and a not-quite-so-old Anthony Zerbe. Add in Carey Lowell, and if you can ignore what Bond's hair's doing most of the time and the occasional resurgence of his Welsh accent, this is right up there. 7/10

079 Skinamarink -- I get how this has polarized opinions. On one hand, it's a terrifying experimental and immersive waking nightmare of a movie. On the other hand, it's boring as f**k. As usual, the truth is somewhere in between. At 100 minutes, it is too long, and made to feel WAY too long by the unconventional way of shooting. There are lots of lingering shots of lego bricks on the floor, corners of rooms, people's feet as they way through the background, there are lots of panning shots around rooms and up to ceilings, and while this is happening, there's not an awful lot else going on. Except, of course, if you're buying into it. If this is working for you, then the lack of anything going on becomes an unbearable anticipation for that state to suddenly change without warning. I thought it was effective, it gave me goosebumps, and if you're the sort of person who couldn't sleep for thinking about that dude standing in the corner of the room at the end of Blair Witch, or the figure at the bottom of the bed in Paranormal Activity, it might just work for you too, and like those two examples, it'll leave some images indelibly branded on to your brain. 7/10

080 Creed III -- I feel a Rocky and Creed retrospective coming along after this. Despite the varying quality between, say, Rocky, and Rocky V, I'm usually hooked no matter what and Creed does the same. Creed III takes a bit of Rocky III and a bit of Rocky I as Adonis finds himself retired and in the lap of luxury and training the new champion, while an old buddy who has been in prison for two decades comes out looking for some favors to be returned and to get the rookie title shot he missed out on. It's horrendously predictable, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for these movies, but the rivalries are skimmed over without much development and it's oddly dialogue-heavy, but dammit if I didn't find myself cheering my way to the finale that I saw coming from around twenty minutes in. It's the weakest Creed installment but it's still enjoyable enough. 6/10

4 hours ago, MSU said:

078 Licence to Kill -- The Timothy Dalton tenure as 007 ends just as it was getting started and I've got to say, he's pretty underrated in the role. I've enjoyed this and The Living Daylights quite a bit and the timeline back to poor Roger Moore seems lightyears away. Well, miles away. Maybe round the corner a bit. In this one, Bond goes rogue to avenge the death of Felix's wife and the feasting of bits of Felix himself to a peckish tiger shark. Robert Davi is great as the 80s coke-lord alongside a young Benicio Del Toro and a not-quite-so-old Anthony Zerbe.

Add in Carey Lowell.

10/10

4 hours ago, MSU said:

079 Skinamarink -- I get how this has polarized opinions. On one hand, it's a terrifying experimental and immersive waking nightmare of a movie. On the other hand, it's boring as f**k. As usual, the truth is somewhere in between. At 100 minutes, it is too long, and made to feel WAY too long by the unconventional way of shooting. There are lots of lingering shots of lego bricks on the floor, corners of rooms, people's feet as they way through the background, there are lots of panning shots around rooms and up to ceilings, and while this is happening, there's not an awful lot else going on. Except, of course, if you're buying into it. If this is working for you, then the lack of anything going on becomes an unbearable anticipation for that state to suddenly change without warning. I thought it was effective, it gave me goosebumps, and if you're the sort of person who couldn't sleep for thinking about that dude standing in the corner of the room at the end of Blair Witch, or the figure at the bottom of the bed in Paranormal Activity, it might just work for you too, and like those two examples, it'll leave some images indelibly branded on to your brain. 7/10

I'm the exact person who liked Paranormal Activity and was genuinely unnerved by The Blair Witch Project back in the late Nineties, but a literal slideshow of ceilings and skirting boards (and a couple of artless jumpscares) did nothing for me whatsoever. It's just the kind of thing that I'd like, except it's so very, very poorly made and felt lazy as f**k.

Is it bad that I was hoping something, anything, would kill the kids so the film could be over?

Just back in from seeing A Good Person, Florence Pugh starring in a story about opioid addiction and its effect on families and relationships. Was quite engaging although a few scenes involving one character in particular felt a little out of kilter compared to the rest of the film. Morgan Freeman co-starring. Hadn't seen a trailer so went in blind, other than a brief synopsis on the cinema website, it was over two hours and didn't seem too long for me. It could perhaps have been darker and grittier given the subject...... 

Edited by IncomingExile

Rogue Agent - decent enough drama about a spy starring the baddy out of Happy Valley. If you watch on Netflix don't read the synopsis as they give away what was, to me at least, a plot twist. It's based on a true story so possibly everyone but me knew it anyway, but mentioning it just in case.

On 20/03/2023 at 22:35, Steve_Wilkos said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The scene where they all ran out of the hall instead of doing laps made me almost piss myself laughing.

Also, Everything Everywhere All At Once - 7/10

Watched it on Saturday. Started wanting to bail out after 15 minutes. Wife wanted to can it after half an hour. Switched off 40 minutes in. Wished I’d gone with my gut at 15 minutes. 0/10

8 hours ago, accies1874 said:

@BFTD is testing my patience with his Skinarmarink slander

Did you check out Plumbers Don't Wear Ties yet?

It's not funny either, but is infinitely more disconcerting.

On 26/03/2023 at 16:09, MSU said:

078 Licence to Kill -- The Timothy Dalton tenure as 007 ends just as it was getting started and I've got to say, he's pretty underrated in the role. I've enjoyed this and The Living Daylights quite a bit and the timeline back to poor Roger Moore seems lightyears away. Well, miles away. Maybe round the corner a bit. In this one, Bond goes rogue to avenge the death of Felix's wife and the feasting of bits of Felix himself to a peckish tiger shark. Robert Davi is great as the 80s coke-lord alongside a young Benicio Del Toro and a not-quite-so-old Anthony Zerbe. Add in Carey Lowell, and if you can ignore what Bond's hair's doing most of the time and the occasional resurgence of his Welsh accent, this is right up there. 7/10

Licence to Kill is fucking tremendous. It also has a phenomenal theme song, performed brilliantly by Gladys Knight

John Wick (2014) - A cliched movie with a plot that has been done a number of times before.

Reddits favourite actor gives a ok performance, and on the whole I thought it was quite overrated and wasn’t much different to the average action movie. 

Tetris, supposedly filmed in Glasgow and Aberdeen but to be honest I didn't notice, so praise to the filmmakers for that as it's set in Moscow. Bit of a daft thriller full of Cold War cliches, the BBC 4 documentary from 2004 is much better, one of these time when truth is more interesting than fiction.

Edited by welshbairn

25 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Tetris, supposedly filmed in Glasgow and Aberdeen but to be honest I didn't notice, so praise to the filmmakers for that as it's set in Moscow. Bit of a daft thriller full of Cold War cliches, the BBC 4 documentary from 2004 is much better, one of these time when truth is more interesting than fiction.

Didn't realise it was finally out.

I know the exterior of 95 Morrison St (ie the Co-Op Building) in Glasgow was used for some shots, as my mate lived there at the time

6 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Didn't realise it was finally out.

I know the exterior of 95 Morrison St (ie the Co-Op Building) in Glasgow was used for some shots, as my mate lived there at the time

It's not a bad film, some of it's pretty funny, and they must have hoovered up every Trabant and Lada in the UK. I just preferred the true story with real people and without the stereotypes.

I just saw Kermode's review of Tetris - I heard there was a film being made of it years ago and just assumed it'd be some desperate shite like that Battleship film. Just stick the name on and people will go; who cares what the content is.

Be thankful for small mercies, I guess.