What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Watched Hell or High Water at the weekend, one of the best movies I’ve seen for years. So much so that when it finished and the Mrs went to bed, I rewound it and watched it a second time. Only 1 hour 40 long but packs plenty into it. The extreme violence never seemed frivolous either.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Watched Hell or High Water at the weekend, one of the best movies I’ve seen for years. So much so that when it finished and the Mrs went to bed, I rewound it and watched it a second time. Only 1 hour 40 long but packs plenty into it. The extreme violence never seemed frivolous either.

Thats a really great movie, a classic really isnt too far to say imo. A modern day western classic

Edited by ScotiaNostra

19 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

This is not going to be awkward at all...

She has backed out. 

I said to Scott, why don't you just take her? I can go another time. But no, she's apparently gone off the idea of the film altogether. 

Thank God. That would have been cringeworthy. 

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

She has backed out. 

I said to Scott, why don't you just take her? I can go another time. But no, she's apparently gone off the idea of the film altogether. 

Thank God. That would have been cringeworthy. 

The bits I'm thinking of probably would have been more awkward if it was just you and your son, tbf...

Monsters (2010)

Low budget sci fi posing a predictable rhetorical question. 

Watched following some clickbait ad piece recommending it. 

Was actually good. The monsters were pretty shit and shit CGI but they used the old Jaws trick to good effect. 

Not a fan of the bit part actors (hispanic) being billed as speaking extras and not properly credited while the waspy leads got their own individual billing. 

Still, decent enough watch, quite low key and naturalistic with engaging (but dislikable) characters. 

6/10

(59) Jealous Guy: The Assassination of John Lennon (2020) – Sky Documentaries

Having recently read the James Patterson book, The Last Days of John Lennon, I thought it’d be good to compare this doc to the book. While Patterson’s book is 90% about Lennon this film is more about Chapman with most of it narrated by his biographer, Jack Jones. Certainly a lot more information and background about Chapman but you get the feeling that Jones is trying to use the doc as a platform to give the murderer brownie points in his latest (2020) parole hearing which turned out to be his 11th failed attempt. Being a John Lennon fan, I hope Chapman rots in jail and no way will he win his next appeal (13th) early next year. 6.5/10

(60) Faithfully Yours (2022) – Netflix

Decent enough Dutch thriller somewhat spoiled by the ludicrous final twist. Two friends sneak off for secret affairs using each other as an alibi to deceive their husbands. Something happens to one of the women which means the other is in all sorts of trouble with the police and the two husbands. Keeps you guessing throughout and I would have given a 7 but for the ending. 6/10

(61) Girl In the Box (2016) – Paramount+

Based on the shocking true story about a girl, who is hitchhiking to see her friend, picked up by a married couple who enslave her and treat her to 7 years of torture and depraved sexual abuse. The man in particular, who has been called ‘the most dangerous psychopath ever’ is pure evil but the film gives the impression that there’s an element of Stockholm Syndrome. Luckily, he is eventually brought to justice but it really is an unimaginable scenario. 7/10

(62) Kes (1969) – Film4

It’s a long time since I watched this but it really does stand the test of time. Ken Loach’s debut film sets a high standard and he captures, perfectly. working class life Up North in the 60s. We all know the story about young Billy who trains a kestrel and finds he has a purpose in life but it remains a fine film with a fantastic performance by David Bradley who plays Billy. 8.5/10

Spiderman: Across The Spider-Verse

Highly enjoyable film. Sequel to the sensational 'Spiderman: Into The Spider-Verse' (one of the best comic book films ever, and indeed one of my favourite films). It picks up from the previous film and borrows a lot of the elements that made the first one so good, adding in some extra things (can't say more without spoilers). Loved all the wee nods/winks/etc to previous Spiderman stuff.

Talking of spoilers

I thought that it was rushing towards an ending, so when I saw that this was basically 'part 1' it made much more sense.

Like the first one this had some great humour, some great characters

Spider Punk, Spider Cat and Miguel were all excellent, as was The Spot

and a cracking soundtrack.

Edited by DA Baracus

Men in Black (1997) The Fresh Prince leaves school and gets a job being a policeman for aliens. The aliens are everywhere. Hilarious, and surprisingly good CGI for the time. This might also be the first time I ever saw Tommy Lee Jones on film, and I'm going to guess he's looked like this his entire life.

Ghostbusters II (1989) This film starts with some of the Ghostbusters going to a children's party as entertainers. The children are unhappy at this. A bit ironic, given this is almost certainly purely a children's film. It's alright. It's also an example of the internet ruining things, because when you watch this as an unconnected child you think Vigo might actually be real. It's a letdown to find he isn't.

Cape Fear (1991) A Scorsese adaptation of the Simpsons episode where they join the witness protection program because Sideshow Bob is stalking them. The one thing I always find with Scorsese films is they're just inherently watchable. There's nothing fancy going on with the picture, you just sit and you're drawn to what you see and what the people are doing. In contrast, this film has a distracting musical score (which admittedly I can't take seriously because of the Simpsons), Robert De Niro with a silly voice and loads of random zooms and camera movements that look like something from one of those Bollywood scenes that goes on forever. I think the ultimate problem is there was no real sense of threat from the stalker. The scene in the school was creepy, the rest was just silly.

Quantum of Solace (2008) I like this film. I think it's good. Well, one time I watch it I'll think it's good, the next time my mind will wander and I'll be online after half an hour. The opera scene and the plane fight scene are great. The villain is good because he's not a typical Bond villain. The girls are interesting rather than just window dressing. Even the theme song sounded alright this time. This is a very 2023 assessment, but trying to present an inherently political plot in an apolitical way leaves it a bit unclear. Do you know what this film is about? Do I, having finished it twenty minutes ago? Of course we don't. 

Gran Turismo Movie Trailer Is David Harbour Yelling at Teens

Gran Turismo (2023) Young man from Wales survives being terminally online and having Geri Halliwell for a mother to become a racing driver.

You know when you watch a documentary or a biopic (or even an adaptation) about something you're really passionate about and you sit looking at all of the things they get wrong, and you end up leaving underwhelmed? I first played a Gran Turismo game in 2001. I've spent thousands of hours over the past four or five years racing and watching streams and top level GT competitions. Naturally, then, I'm the right person to provide an objective assessment on the Based On a True Story tale of Jann Mardenborough, who competed in a program run by Gran Turismo and Nissan in 2011 to get a seat in a real race car. 

There are good things. The scenes involving cars are all... well, real. I've read a bit about how they were filmed (Mardenborough was his own stunt driver) and it's really great to see a film about motor racing featuring actual driving. Le Mans and Le Mans '66 (the former featuring scenes of the actual race) are probably the best examples of motor racing being properly depicted in films but this is genuinely right up there with them. The acting is all great too. Archie Madekwe is good as a young guy who becomes determined to prove himself. Orlando Bloom is surprisingly good as a bit of a chancing wheeler dealer who convinces Nissan to let someone who's only ever played a video game into a real car. David Harbour is the best turn as the cynical, jaded former driver turned engineer who ends up believing in the kid with a dream. Geri can't act any more than she can sing. 

Some things I disliked go beyond my own knowledge of the story and medium. There are four separate races in the film where Jann gets the race result he needs on the last lap, with a split-second run to the finish line. When he competes in GT Academy, the instructors and some of the competitors are mean to him. Some of the competitors in GT Academy are girls. When he gets the race seat with Nissan, his own pit crew tell him he's a geek and he shouldn't be there. When he's racing, there's another guy who's arrogant and stuck up (driving a gold chrome Lamborghini sponsored by Moet champagne) who literally drives into Jann on more than one occasion. It doesn't really take any knowledge of motorsport to know that these things range from fanciful to outright ridiculous. 

The two main things I felt the film lacked were context for Jann's career and, oddly, references to Gran Turismo. When he's trying to qualify for GT Academy he plays the game, but sees himself in a real car. When he's racing for real, he sees the game. It's neat way of showing how the two fields can overlap. But outside of Orlando saying (more than once) that Gran Turismo is "the most realistic driving simulator ever created" (it really, really isn't) the game ends up getting lost as time goes on. The film is about the person so this is understandable, but I think more could have been made about how he honed his skills first. The film may as as well start by saying "he played this a lot and got really good and now he's about to be in a competition". I'm saying this with my Gran Turismo fan hat on, obviously. The film also doesn't make any reference to the other people who became racing drivers through the GT Academy in other years, which is a real shame.

When he does qualify from GT Academy and starts racing we don't get much explanation of where the races are, what the competition is or even what he's driving. I don't know if there was a licensing issue here (although it's based on a true story the film as a whole largely glosses over the fine details) but even a voiceover and twenty second montage before the first race would have been enough. "This is your car, a Nissan GT-R GT3. It can go this fast it's got this much power..." and so on. The film inevitably builds towards a climax at Le Mans and the same applies here. It's the hardest race in the world! Alright, care to explain why? Or what he's driving here? And if Le Mans is the toughest race in the world on the toughest track in the world, then what exactly is the Nurburgring, where he drove and crashed and killed a spectator? 

Also, all scenes at "Le Mans" were filmed at the Hungaroring in Hungary. You can tell because that whole track is about the same size as the pit lane building at Le Mans. If you don't know anything about motor racing, this is fine. Even knowing why it was like this, it made my teeth itch.

I didn't really have any expectations about this going in. I just went to see it because I like Gran Turismo. By its own nature the concept is something I could easily pick holes in. Some of these are excusable, some just make me frustrated because it seems like an easy thing to have added or changed. Either way I think this actually did end up being better than I expected, and the critical response seems to agree with me. If anything that just makes it more frustrating, than I can just see one or two improvements.

Joy Ride

A lazy assessment would be 'Female Asian Hangover'.

If you think that, please do better.

Very enjoyable movie. I liked it mainly because it's very funny throughout. There are numerous moments that had me laughing out loud.

8 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Cape Fear (1991) A Scorsese adaptation of the Simpsons episode where they join the witness protection program because Sideshow Bob is stalking them. The one thing I always find with Scorsese films is they're just inherently watchable.

Cape Fear is a remake of a 1962 film starring Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum.

11 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Men in Black (1997) The Fresh Prince leaves school and gets a job being a policeman for aliens. The aliens are everywhere. Hilarious, and surprisingly good CGI for the time. This might also be the first time I ever saw Tommy Lee Jones on film, and I'm going to guess he's looked like this his entire life.

Ghostbusters II (1989) This film starts with some of the Ghostbusters going to a children's party as entertainers. The children are unhappy at this. A bit ironic, given this is almost certainly purely a children's film. It's alright. It's also an example of the internet ruining things, because when you watch this as an unconnected child you think Vigo might actually be real. It's a letdown to find he isn't.

Cape Fear (1991) A Scorsese adaptation of the Simpsons episode where they join the witness protection program because Sideshow Bob is stalking them. The one thing I always find with Scorsese films is they're just inherently watchable. There's nothing fancy going on with the picture, you just sit and you're drawn to what you see and what the people are doing. In contrast, this film has a distracting musical score (which admittedly I can't take seriously because of the Simpsons), Robert De Niro with a silly voice and loads of random zooms and camera movements that look like something from one of those Bollywood scenes that goes on forever. I think the ultimate problem is there was no real sense of threat from the stalker. The scene in the school was creepy, the rest was just silly.

Quantum of Solace (2008) I like this film. I think it's good. Well, one time I watch it I'll think it's good, the next time my mind will wander and I'll be online after half an hour. The opera scene and the plane fight scene are great. The villain is good because he's not a typical Bond villain. The girls are interesting rather than just window dressing. Even the theme song sounded alright this time. This is a very 2023 assessment, but trying to present an inherently political plot in an apolitical way leaves it a bit unclear. Do you know what this film is about? Do I, having finished it twenty minutes ago? Of course we don't. 

This version is better IMHO. 

161 Mob Land -- We're in RURAL AMERICA here, which can only mean one thing, and good ole family man, Shelby Connors (Shiloh Fernandez, who I kinda liked in Evil Dead) is down on his luck and out of a job and unable to support his lovely wife and daughter when his brother-in-law, Tre (Kevin Dillon) has an idea to rob the town's doctor's office which is pushing oxy like they're going out of fashion. Unbeknownst to either of them, the operation is run by the N'Orlins mob and they're less than happy about being robbed so send their fixer guy, who definitely isn't ripped off from No Country for Old Men, to get the cash and make those responsible pay. The fact that John Travolta is miles ahead of anyone else in this stupid movie tells you everything you need to know. Meanwhile, Fernandez and Dillon, along with Stephen Dorff as the fixer, are asked to say some horrendously bad lines out loud to each other and put zero effort into making them sound any more acceptable, while the movie creeps towards its predictable end. All of this, for no discernible reason, is filmed by the shakiest-handed cameraman they could find. You know, sometimes a tripod is your friend. And I'm getting a bit tired of Alabama being used as shorthand for oxy addiction, unemployment, and crime. 2/10

162 Heart of Stone -- The opening sequence is probably as good as it gets, all because someone had the idea of using a parachute canopy with a light inside it against the snow, so at least it looked interesting. Sadly, that someone seems to have called in sick for the rest of the shoot. I don't remember much of Wonder Woman, but I don't recall Gal Gadot being as wooden as she is in this Dollar General version of Mission: Impossible, and absolutely no one else cares enough to help her out with a decent supporting role. 3/10

163 Blood Simple -- What a debut from Joel and Ethan Coen. Phenomenal lighting, great cinematography, an effective score, incredible performances, and a deliciously noir storyline where after the first half hour or so, nobody has a clue what's going on. I don't recall it being so funny in places too, and I loved how Ray living on a cul-de-sac was worthy of a callback. A timely reminder of what the Coens would go on to produce but an outstanding movie all on its own. Love it. 10/10

164 The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! -- This movie is so old now that all of the bad guys have died -- Colonel Gadaffi, Ayatollah Khomeini, Queen Elizabeth II -- but there are still an awful lot of laugh-out-loud moments. Leslie Neilson, George Kennedy, and Priscilla Presley all do incredible jobs keeping straight faces while the nonsense carries on around them. Honestly, though, it's not quite the consistently funny joke machine I remember, and the baseball sequence goes on a bit too long, and it's not quite at the Airplane! level, but all things considered, it's aged better than I imagined, and still knows how to make me giggle. Nice beaver. 7/10

165 The Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear -- Pretty much as funny as the first one but with a better-paced and more enjoyable story. 7/10

166 Strays -- Poor Reggie, voiced by Will Ferrell, is a lovable mutt who doesn't realize that his owner actively hates him. So when he's driven three hours for a game of fetch and abandoned in the city, his first instinct is to get home to his beloved Doug. But when he meets fellow stray, Bug (Jamie Foxx), he learns that owners aren't always all they're cracked up to be, and along with Hunter and Maggie (Randall Park and Isla Fisher), they decide to track down Doug so Reggie can enact his bloody revenge. There's an awful lot of swearing, an awful lot of poop jokes, and pee jokes, and while I'm sure there's a bit more to it than that, it's been a couple of hours and I can't quite remember what that might be. Homeward Fucking Bound seems to be as good a description as any. It is funny, though. I did laugh quite a bit, and the voice talent is very effective, but it feels utterly disposable and, evidently, forgettable. Like Ted, but with dogs. Or Sausage Party, but with dogs. 5/10

167 Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult -- Maybe an insult too far. A lot of the gags in this one feel a bit like SNL skits, and no one laughs at SNL skits. Like, I'm not sure that the previous movies would've spent that much time riffing on Thelma and Louise. Also, the bending over in the shower jokes, and Anna Nicole Smith supposedly being trans kinda felt awfully stock. It's still funny in places, but I don't think many people can say that the series went out on a high note. 4/10

168 Jules -- Ben Kingsley is Milton, a slightly curmudgeonly old, widowed, man who has gone that sort of weird way that slightly curmudgeonly old, widowed men tend to go. His daughter is worried about his failing memory but all he cares about is turning up to town meetings to complain that the town motto is ambiguous. His life should be turned upside down when a UFO crashes into his backyard but despite an initial shock, he bonds with the alien inside, feeds it apples, explains how his remote controls work, and takes it in his stride until two widows in town discover his secret. I really loved this. Ben Kingsley is brilliant in the lead role but Harriet Sansom Harris and Jane Curtin are the perfect foil for him as Sandy and Joyce. The alien, played by Jade Quon, is silent throughout and it's questionable how much it understands of the situation or conversations that happen around it, but some of the delight comes from how easily the trio open up to it. The peril in Gavin Steckler's script is mild to say the least as the alien is kept from authorities, but Jules isn't that kind of alien movie. Instead, it's far more interested with Milton's strained relationship with his daughter, and his non-existent relationship with his son. It's more interested in the loneliness that sometimes accompanies old age, so there's comfort in these three finding each other through these strange circumstances. It's very much a movie with an alien rather than a movie about an alien. I thought it was funny throughout and brilliantly so in many places. It mostly manages to avoid too much shmaltz and there were many cheese-laden places that director Marc Turtletaub could've taken us towards the end, but thankfully he avoided them all. He's delivered a pretty perfect wee package here. I loved it. 9/10

The Way of the Dragon

This was a favourite of mine as a kid. Back then I thought that Bruce Lee was as fast as lightning with his king fu fighting.

Watched it again last night, it’s pretty sketchy by today’s standards but the final fight scene with Chuck Norris (first movie) is still tremendous.

(63) Don’t Tell a Soul (2020) – Netflix

Not a bad thriller with 2 brothers carrying out a robbery on an empty house but then they are rumbled by a security guard. Difficult to explain what then happens without giving away spoilers or the main premise of the film but there are a few twists and turns and overall, a pretty good watch. 6.5/10

(64) Watcher (2022) – Sky Cinema

What you would call a paranoia thriller done very much in a Hitchcock style with an American woman, played really well by Maika Monroe, moving to Bucharest with her husband and while he’s at work she starts to suspect a man is watching her from an apartment across the street. News about a serial killer who decapitates women adds to the paranoia as well as her not understanding the language. A lot of suspense which builds up to a very dramatic ending. 7/10

(65) The Elephant Man (1980) – DVD

David Lynch’s near perfect film about the life of John Merrick is so profoundly affecting every time I watch it. Fabulous cast with John Hurt giving the performance of his life and incredibly strong support with Anthony Hopkins, Anne Bancroft, Freddie Jones, John Gielgud and Hannah Gordon all excellent along with quite a few other well-known faces. Filmed in black & white makes it so effective for the time period and overall tone with a great soundtrack which Lynch always seems to get spot on.  9.5/10

(66) Stromboli (2022) – Netflix

Sara, who is a Dutch woman recently split up from her husband and fallen out with her teenage daughter, travels to Stromboli to get away from all her problems. Somehow, she ends up at some New Age therapy centre with a bunch of people who all have their own problems and Jens, the Guru, slowly ekes out Sara’s traumatic past. The film is based on a book and I imagine the book gives more depth to all the other characters but the film focuses on Sara with some of it working but at times a bit clunky with her over exaggerated behaviour. 5.5/10

Walk the Line (2005) Man becomes famous musician so he can meet and marry his childhood celebrity crush. Absolutely remarkable singing all round and very watchable.

Ali (2001) The Fresh Prince gets a job as The Greatest. I had seen this before a long time ago and had the vague recollection that it was a mediocre film with some very good performances in it. I was right. I don't think it's possible to make a film about someone like Muhammad Ali with the social backdrop of Malcolm X and Martin Luther King being assassinated. There's just too much stuff to put on screen, and this suffered from trying. Even just a word or two on screen about names, dates, locations. That or a guidebook handed out in the cinema. 

Heat (1995) Is there any other film that has as many people in it doing as many different things that manages to be as engrossing and sympathetic to all of them as this? I don't think so. My favourite part of this film is the setting - LA barely gets a look-in with all the Acting going on but this oppressively endless backdrop of lines of blue lights seems like a cage keeping everybody in line as they try to fight against what's keeping them in place. I feel like this film is also something rare - a thing from the 90s with an unquestionably 90s aesthetic (Moby covering Joy Division, come on) that hasn't aged a day. I look forward to watching it again in another five years and having a similar reaction.

Skyfall (2012) Bond does some advertising work for Caterpillar construction equipment, Volkswagen and Macallan whisky before doing a bit of Home Alone cosplay. You forget how highly stylised so much of this film is. For a film series that's been defined by showing you exotic locations it's impressive how this manages to maintain that in an age of the internet. Silhouetted hand to hand combat atop a Chinese skyscraper with a giant blue jellyfish on a screen in the background was my highlight. Actually it wasn't, the highlight was obviously the various scenes where assorted Scottish hills and valleys dwarf everyone moving through them. Again, while I'm hardly an authority on Bond I don't think it's a stretch to call this the best one. Posts about Spectre and No Time To Die will be following in the next few weeks, and although I've seen them both (once) before I think Skyfall is a bit of a watershed moment, where "yes we know he's old but he's still relevant" goes from being a subtle yet measured depiction into ludicrous self-parody. But I'm getting ahead of myself. 

169 The Life of Emile Zola (#10 in Best Picture series) -- I guess for the early batch of Academy Award-winning Best Pictures, it's perfectly fine and Paul Muni is pretty good in the role of 19th century French novelist, Emile Zola. The story is a worthy one about the Dreyfus Affair, which I confess I knew little about, a scandal about an antisemitic miscarriage of justice and when a Jewish French officer was accused of treason. It's just told in a weird sort of roundabout way and it failed to grab my attention. In the end, my mind wandered to Sunday dinner and it didn't really venture too far away from that until the movie ended. 5/10

170 Kill List -- I was disappointed in Ben Wheatley's Meg 2 so came back to Kill List to, oddly, cleanse the pallet. I was blown away by this the first time and it definitely bears a repeat viewing as there are a few neat bits of foreshadowing that might be missed. Kill List moves quite seamlessly through drama, to thriller, to outright horror although there is at least a horrific undercurrent running throughout. The dialogue is crisp and believable and the leads' performances are spot on. It really delivers throughout and feels a million miles away from the one with the big shark. 9/10

171 Enys Men -- After watching Kill List, I was reminded about this experimental Cornish folk-horror piece from last year that I'd never gotten around to watching. A woman, The Volunteer, is alone on a rocky island, making daily observations on the condition of what I presume to be a rare flower, and every day she drops a rock down a mine shaft. This repeats. This repeats quite a bit. In amongst all this, there are visions of a young woman, who may or may not be a younger version of The Volunteer, a man, who may to may not be her lover, and some miners and milk maidens, who probably don't exist. There's also a stone pillar in memory of lives who were lost at sea, and this may be a metaphor for her, and maybe the woman *is* the island. It's filmed like it's an old 1970s PSA film, and it reminded me an awful lot of The Owl Service and a bit of Skinamarink, and it's a very unsettling experience either way. Is it about loneliness and grief, or is there more to it? It feels like it depends on the viewer, making it something more to be interpreted or solved, like a work of art or a puzzle, more than necessarily enjoyed. 6/10

172 Final Destination -- Somehow, I've seen bits and bobs of this series but I don't think I've ever sat down and watched a Final Destination movie all the way through. This was pretty entertaining and beyond the enticing concept, it still rides on the coattails of Scream a little bit and is more fun than terrifying or gory, and certainly enough for me to get the sequel onto my watchlist. 7/10

173 Gran Turismo -- Archie Madekwe, who I've somehow managed to see in five other things without really trying, is Jann, a Welsh Gran Turismo player who gets a chance to race for Team Nissan for reals, where his fellow competitors and pro drivers and his pit crew and family are praying for him to fail. It's impossible to describe how much Jann's family suck here and as this is based on a true story, they must be feeling the burn pretty hard right now. Some of the race scenes are quite exciting, and there are neat visual effects like when Jann was racing at home he imagined it being real and this played in reverse when he was actually on the track, but because motor racing is generally pretty boring, all the drama that needs to get added to a race to make it watchable also makes it unbelievable. Add to this extraordinary scenes of exposition, like when one character explains to another that the Le Mans race that's about to start lasts for 24 hours, which is bad and bad enough until you remember that the character having this explained to them is putting on their helmet as they're about to be in the actual race. David Harbour as an e-Sports Mr Miyago shines amongst a fairly wooden cast that somehow includes Orlando Bloom and Ginger Spice. 4/10

The Menu (tonight), and Boiling Point (last night).

Two films involving mentally unstable chefs. Probably preferred Boiling Point tbh, just because I found it more gripping and realistic.  Recommend both though.

Eta: also saw 'They Live' for the first time yesterday morning, on YouTube.  "Hey, what's wrong baby?!" 😄

Edited by Hedgecutter