What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I'm pretty certain its actually longer than 4 years. Sadly films can't go into as much depth as books but Gollum is probably the most intriguing character in the netire film simply because he completely warped. Im just gutted certain characters missed out sad.gif

is it not 4 years to get to mount doom and then another year or so to deal with what was changed in the film ?

yeah. bit weird they cut a host of characters. like tom bombadil .

is it not 4 years to get to mount doom and then another year or so to deal with what was changed in the film ?

yeah. bit weird they cut a host of characters. like tom bombadil .

Just found a LOTR timeline laugh.gifTimeline

That's exacty who i was thinking of!! laugh.gif for some reason the fact he was described as being the first and the last intrigued me

I've read LOTR loads of times, when the films came out my mates refused to go to the return because I was muttering 'naw' all the way through the first 2.

You can never fit all of the book into the film, they cut out Saruman raping the shire as well. Arwen only plays a very small part in the book, yet she's pretty prominant in the film - Hollywood having to have the love interest and all that dry.gif

I think they done a pretty well all things said and done.

The farmer at Matamata will be doing a nice wee trade just now seeing the Hobbit's finally started filming...

I've read LOTR loads of times, when the films came out my mates refused to go to the return because I was muttering 'naw' all the way through the first 2.

You can never fit all of the book into the film, they cut out Saruman raping the shire as well. Arwen only plays a very small part in the book, yet she's pretty prominant in the film - Hollywood having to have the love interest and all that dry.gif

I think they done a pretty well all things said and done.

The farmer at Matamata will be doing a nice wee trade just now seeing the Hobbit's finally started filming...

The raising of the shire was one of the best bits of the book,i think.

What's this four years nonsense!?

Between Gandalf disappearing to find out about the ring after Bilbo's birthday, and coming back to ask "Is it secret? Is it safe?" is 17 years. Following that, the events which take place in the books (from Frodo leaving The Shire to The Scouring) takes about a year and a half.

Depending on how you want to look at it, the book takes place over 18 and a half years (Bilbo's birthday to The Scouring) or over a year and a half (Frodo leaving to The Scouring).

The Scouring of the Shire felt horribly tacked on, even in the book. I'm glad they cut it. I'm also glad they cut out Tom Bombadil - a nothing character.

Anyway, i went to see The King's Speech tonight.

Absolutely phenomenal - what a film. Colin Firth is nothing short of spectacular. After 127 Hours I thought James Franco was a good tip for Best Actor, but now I think Firth will be a shoe-in.

I can only assume that they made it feel like it happens in a year or so(in movie time) is because having to age people like Elijah Wood etc would prove difficult.

Yeah I guess. In fairness, most of the film does happen over the book. Frodo leaves Bag End on September 23rd, 3018; he reaches Rivendell on approximately October 20th. The encounter with Gollum at Mount Doom and the destruction of the One Ring happens on March 25th, 3019; with Aragorn crowned in May.

I used to know most of the important dates off by heart, but I haven't read the book in a year or so so I had to look them up :lol:

For some idiotic reason, I had actually forgotten that the part with Frodo and Bilbo leaving Middle-Earth happened in the films and books - so in that case, from Gandalf arriving in the Shire for Bilbo's birthday to Sam arriving back at Bag End after Frodo and Bilbo depart, you're talking twenty years, not the eighteen I stated earlier.

I must read it again :lol:

Edited by Gaz

Jackass 3D

Probably should be the last movie they do because I cant see them going any further, but some real LOL moments in this movie, its most of the not so sick stuff I found to be the funniest, the huge high 5 hand and Bam being put in the pit of snakes etc.... But definately will get it on DVD when its out thought it was great.

8/10

Spirited Away (2002)

I thought it was really good. There were a few characters I didn't understand/see the point of (example; The Radish Spirit), but according to IMDb the bath-house was a place for the Japanese Gods and spirits, so that would be why. I might have a read about some of the Japanese Gods later on. I didn't understand the point of No-Face either, but he was perhaps the God of greed or something like that. I liked him though, and I was surprised that he turned out to be a bit of a c**t. I think I'm going to buy this on DVD. I'll probably like it more if I understand more of what's going on.

I'll give it an 8/10

I thought the plot was easy enough to understand, but as I said, there were a few things going on which I didn't quite get. A brilliant movie though. I'm going to get a few more of his DVD's. Fopp were doing a few of them for £7 a piece. Porco Rosso I was recommended, My Neighbour Called Totoro and Ponyo, so they'll be getting bought.

Sen To Chihiro No Kamikakushi (released here as Spirited Away, which kind of misses the point of the title) is the most widely known, and arguably the most beautiful of the Miyazaki directed Ghibli films. I loved every second of it. I thoroughly recommend Grave of the Fireflies. It's one hell of a weepy, but evidence of the power of Ghibli animation.

Most of them are great. Pompoco is good, Laputa is great, Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind is brilliant. Princess Mononoke is very into Shinto mythology. Not as keen on Kiki's Delivery Service, personally. There's an interlinked one about The Cat In The Hat or something which is another kiddy one, but entertaining.

When I lived in Tokyo, I visited the Ghibli museum, where instead of an entry ticket they give you a piece of the original film from Spirited away.

the kings speech - 10/10.

Oscar written all over it, it really was that good.

Go and see it, the picture was completely full.

I saw it today.

Housewife favourite Colin Firth is excellent and it would be scandalous for him not to win an Oscar for his performance. Geoffrey Rush is superb and comes close to stealing Firth's thunder I thought. Househusband favourite Helena Bonham-Carter also puts in a decent show as the Queen Mother.

I'll give it a 9/10. A very feel good film (not my normal choice of film really) with some funny bits thrown into it. I wasn't really expecting much over than over-hyped rubbish but it was very good.

We were talking about it ages ago but here's confirmation that Anne Hathaway and Tom Hardy will be the villains, Catwoman and Bane, in The Dark Knight Rises. Although the press release just says Hathsway will be Selina Kyle and not Catwoman, I think that's just wording. They're not gonna have her alter-ego in the last film and not have her slip on the suit. I must say that her in that suit is making me strike wood.

We were talking about it ages ago but here's confirmation that Anne Hathaway and Tom Hardy will be the villains, Catwoman and Bane, in The Dark Knight Rises. Although the press release just says Hathsway will be Selina Kyle and not Catwoman, I think that's just wording. They're not gonna have her alter-ego in the last film and not have her slip on the suit. I must say that her in that suit is making me strike wood.

Has this actually been confirmed?

Zombie Wars (Video 2006)

"Super junkie, super funky, always end up someone else's monkey" - this is some of the lyrics that plays over the menu screen of the DVD and the credits. Due to the complete randomness of this, it has gained a point before the film even starts.

$200k budget, which is unbelievably cheap, especially for a zombie movie. Extra point for it being watchable at that price.

Funny dialogue and a cute girl that doesn't speak much called Alissa Koenig (found her via Google, has a BA in Fine Arts from Indiana University).

I can't fail this, it was far too amusing. Don't think it was in any way a "good film", it was pretty bad, the plot was farcical and the zombies made the people you see in the Post Office on a Monday seem normal... but it was entertaining and isn't that really what you want from a film?

5/10

Bane on his own? :huh: