What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Gall09, on 22 Aug 2014 - 11:33, said:

Do u need to have seen the first one to understand this?

Not at all. As TGiG says it's totally unrelated, it just follows the same concept. There's probably small details that can make the film more enjoyable, but I never picked up on anything.

What is Amazon Prime video? :thumsup2

It used to be Lovefilm Instant but they re-vamped and called themselves Amazon Prime. Or to put it another way, it's another Netflix! I have both and I would say I've probably watched more things on Prime than Netflix. It depends what type of programmes and films you like of course but it's decent value at £5.99 a month. You also have the option of buying films or boxsets for a small fee; the ones not included in the Prime package. Something I can't recall Netflix doing, although I've not been on for a while so maybe they do!

It used to be Lovefilm Instant but they re-vamped and called themselves Amazon Prime. Or to put it another way, it's another Netflix! I have both and I would say I've probably watched more things on Prime than Netflix. It depends what type of programmes and films you like of course but it's decent value at £5.99 a month. You also have the option of buying films or boxsets for a small fee; the ones not included in the Prime package. Something I can't recall Netflix doing, although I've not been on for a while so maybe they do!

You also get free one day delivery with Amazon.

You also get free one day delivery with Amazon.

The wife just noticed this in an advert at the cinema - we've had Amazon Prime since they bought out Lovefilm, and she's been choosing Super-Saver delivery this whole time :lol:

The Conjuring - another horror movie from Blumhouse Productions, makers of Sinister and Insidious. A large family arrives in a new home, only to find mysterious ghostly happenings occurring during the night. They enlist a famed psychic and exorcist team to help.

You'll know what to expect from this if you've seen any of Blumhouse's other films - it has a similar feel, and is above average for the genre, However...

Occasionally possession movies have the slight feel that they might be funded (or, at least, encouraged) by the Catholic Church, considering that the fear of such nonsense can't do their bank balances any harm. However, this is an adaption of a 'true story' presented by a couple of supernatural charlatans, one of who is still alive and profiting from their lifetime of taking advantage of the credulous. Considering that the couple are lionised throughout the movie, I couldn't get that out of my head while watching, and my enjoyment suffered as a result. YMMV.

Cabin Fever 3: Patient Zero - after another outbreak of everybody's favourite flesh-eating virus, a lone survivor is quarantined on an island in the Dominican Republic, as it's believed that he is immune (and also a carrier). The arrival of a small stag party to the island causes some problems for all concerned.

The most remarkable thing about this series is how a decent idea has been pissed away. This doesn't feel much like a sequel to the previous two; the annoying attempts at kooky humour are gone (barring one stupid zombie dildo deathmatch), but have just been replaced by more gore. The quarantine storyline doesn't go far, so we're left with the group of revellers, who (unsurprisingly) fall apart in the predictable and suspense-free manner. There's an attempt at a big reveal at the end, which would surprise no-one, and feels as tired as everything else.

Would've been improved greatly by Sean Astin putting on that terrible Farmer Giles accent from the Hobbit films IMO.

Calvary

Brendan Gleeson must be one of the most underrated actors out there and he shows it once more here. Dark and er religiousy? but not without some brilliant one liners and good laughs, this is out there on it's own and verging on a masterpiece. 9/10

Devil's Due - film about a group of satanic superheroes who impregnate incredibly annoying women with Satan's sperm and

totally kill the f**k out of them and their equally annoying husbands.

Yep, it's Rosemary's Baby, only found-footage and with very little going for it. Peculiarly uninteresting and quite dull.

The Inbetweeners 2

Not as many laugh out loud moments as the series had, but the story was better than I expected. Some of the parts that were supposed to be funny (I think?) ended up being really long and generally uncomfortable to watch. The thing they did best was capturing the essence of the posh backpacker twat, and to a lesser extent the "#lad" banter merchant.

6.5/10

American Hustle 8/10

Not as good as I was hoping for. A nostalgic meander through 70s cinema and some lovely stuff from Christian Bale's hair and gut. But for me Jennifer Lawrence steals the whole film as the delicious Rosalyn. I was transfixed during her every scene and fell in love with her.

Insomnia 7/10

I guess this was bumped into BBC2's schedule after Robin Williams' death. I'd only seen the Norwegian one previously but got slowly hooked on this one and probably came out liking it about the same. Pacino is an LA cop who stretches ethics to get results who is drafted in by an Alaskan PD who don't really get homicides to deal with. Pacino can't deal with the permanent daylight and it causes him...insomnia...which affects his decision making process. He accidentally ices his partner and tries to cover it up. He figures out who did the murder he's on the case of, but the murderer (Williams) saw Pacino off his buddy and together they take each other down the plughole, Pacino going slowly crackers.

It sort of reminded me a bit of Twin Peaks: beautiful rural town, kids into shit above their age, out of town cop trying to make sense, local PD staffed by a range of 'characters'. It was a bit more artful than the standard procedural but a bit more US than the original. i'm giving it a 7/10 but could probably have been an 8/10 on another day, good stuff.

Some of the parts that were supposed to be funny (I think?) ended up being really long and generally uncomfortable to watch.

Jays introduction almost had me walking out the cinema tbh, had a horrible feeling that was thankfully wrong

The Butterfly Effect

Another one of those flims that if I flick it on I have to watch the rest of it. (Braveheart, The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile being three others that have the same effect)

Basically it features Ashton Kutcher as a boy/young man who has the ability to go back in time and change the future through reading his journals. He tries throughout the film to alter the future for the best outcome of him and his wannabe girlfriend and friend. Although he is somewhat selfish at times as well. Some outcomes benefit his friends but not him and vice versa. It's certainly not a boring film and the main characters all put in good shifts as their roles are extremely varied in each new outcome. If you haven't seen this and enjoyed The Simpsons episode where Homer made a time machine from the toaster then you will definitely enjoy this.

I can't really be doing with Ashton Kutcher but he is really good in this. He plays the role well. Amy Smart is lovely as usual and puts in a solid performance.

It's hard viewing at times; any bad things involving children makes for unsettling watching, and there are a few scenes that involve the kids that are really difficult to watch, yet directed really well. I've seen both endings (normal and director's cut) and they are both quite good yet arguably it's not the happy ending for everybody; you can be the judge of that though.

It's received it's share of criticism so it mustn't be for everyone, but I thoroughly enjoy it.

A solid 7/10 from me.

It is indeed a quality film. Good soundtrack too incuding 'My Elastic Eye' by The Chemical Brothers and 'Stop Crying Your Heart Out' by Oasis.

Of course you only hear the latter tune if you watch the regular ending. No such aural quality with the decidedly more grim director's cut ending.

I had to laugh when he changed things and woke up with no arms. It was morbidly amusing. His reaction is what does it for me.

American Hustle 8/10

Not as good as I was hoping for. A nostalgic meander through 70s cinema and some lovely stuff from Christian Bale's hair and gut. But for me Jennifer Lawrence steals the whole film as the delicious Rosalyn. I was transfixed during her every scene and fell in love with her.

Agreed, probably something to do with her no bra - very low cut tops combos! As for the film i was very disappointed with it.

Rush 6.5/10

Thought this was pretty average, but I liked the guy who played niki lauda so bumped the score up a little. The rivalry seemed a little forced to me and doesn't feel like one of sports great ones. Wasn't a patch on senna for me.

Vanishing point 8/10

This film is great, some of the shots of the US south West are just brilliant. The dodge challenger is pretty iconic and super soul is a legend. I'm a big fan of the primal scream album and its quality to hear all the original samples. Great soundtrack to the film too. The whole film is rather odd, with the cops trying to stop our (anti?)hero kowalski. A few flashbacks hint at his past, but we never really get to know him as he tries to deliver the challenger to cisco on time. Bit of a road trip film at times, with some mental characters and its quite funny too, if you like cliché southern US hick cops. Definitely worth a watch.

Edited by Tamdunk