What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Europa Report - the first manned space flight to Jupiter's moon Europa makes some unexpected discoveries.

This is a found-footage thriller, pieced together from the cameras dotted around the vessel, with a few talking heads thrown in. Unfortunately, there's nothing unexpected about the plot, except possibly for the fate of one of the crew members. The whole thing goes exactly as you'd expect and is curiously uneventful. It's a well put-together piece, but has a very peculiar feel to it. It reminded me of those Christian films that start out as normal before any problems are solved by a healthy dose of Jesus, so I was expecting something along those lines, but it thankfully didn't materialise. Could've been really quite good with a more imaginative script.

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

Pretty uninteresting stuff, and a massive disappointment. The story that the title of the movie comes from is actually fun for the most part, and provides a bright spark in what is largely a pile of shit, so it gets points for that at least.

3/10

I thought the Eva Green storyline was the most boring part of the film. She was good but the story itself was dull I thought until the last 5 mins of it.

As pointless as it was I was more engrossed with the JGL storyline.

I would give it a higher rating than you have. For me it's a 6/10. I thought it was alright but nothing special.Good performances and well shot but pretty dull for the most part.

The Skin I Live In

This thriller, written and directed by Pedro Almodovar, is about a troubled widower who uses his skills as a plastic surgeon to avenge his personal demons. The first thing I have to say is that there are many extremely disturbing scenes of surgery, violence and sick sexuality, but Almodovar's direction, without sugar-coating those moments, carried me through them comfortably. His work is extraordinary, as is Antonio Banderas' acting, in the challenging leading role of a man broken by the loss of everything dear to him, and compelled by a secret obsession- an uncommissioned and illegal pet project.

Even as the film goes back and forward in time, and the mysteries of the protagonist's past are uncovered piece by piece, the thrill and tension of the plot continues from start to finish, but throughout that the ethical ambiguity of the main characters, their motives, mistakes and their ideas of justice and morality give the film its important subtext. The hero is a victim and consequently becomes a criminal. Almodovar spends time on that irony, reasoning for Banderas' character but showing him no sympathy, and that is what accelerates The Skin I Live In from a good film into a great one. This is not a horror to make you jump out of your skin, rather one that will get under it.

8/10

Sid and Nancy

There is something in the pointlessness of their deaths and the meaninglessness of their lives that is incredibly moving.

Sid was a talentless bass player, with an abundance of youthful charisma, and Nancy was the woman he loved, and they were self-destructive, selfish, and ill.

Gary Oldman is outstanding as Sid, and the film is flawed, but cathartic and sad.

The Raid 2 is excellent get to watch it again soon

Just seen Lucy. First half of the film a solid 7/10. 2nd half was just constant wft

Lucy was the second in my "not very good movie" double bill at the weekend. I'd have given that the same as Sin City. A lot of pish for the most part.

Gravity - 6/10.

Watched this in 3D (first time I used 3D on my new telly so I was well excited) but was largely let down. It looked stunning and it was an amazing exercise in technology but the story itself was pretty poor for me. A lot of it was just too convenient but one thing I will say is that it definitely didnt lack in suspense. Was holding on to the couch at times.

Caught up with a few movies in the past week or so

Godzilla - 5/10
Disappointed. Just really didn't care what happened to in the end.

World War Z - 7/10
Enjoy this after putting it off for a while due to poor reviews.
The first 90mins are very good but Wales kinda lets its down in the end

Planes - Fire & Rescue. 6/10
Enjoyed this more than the 1st one

Guardians of the Galaxy - 9/10
Loved it - been humming hooked on a feeling for days now
Desperate for more Marvel stuff
(watched this at the local drive-in on Saturday night - awesome movie, superb setting. Hundreds of stars visible while still warm enough to sit out and take in the movies)

My Beautiful Laundrette

A relatively low-budget drama film, set in Thatcher-era London, about a young man named Omar whose ambitions in life are weighed down by the reality of the time. He lives in a tough, racist neighbourhood and his alcoholic father doesn't help him much but his uncle Nasser gives him a job running one of the family businesses- a run-down laundrette. Omar recruits his old friend Johnny to help with the business.

The complications of Omar's life - including race crime, involvement with drug dealers and forbidden romance - are reflected in Stephen Frears' direction of the film, which plays by all the rules without becoming too much a spectacle, although there are some nice shots in there. The standard of acting isn't terrific- Daniel Day-Lewis' performance as Johnny is one of his weakest, although I salute him for playing this character. Some of the talent around him doesn't help much: although Hanif Kureishi's script is well-written and the leading roles well-cast, the set design is very cheap and some of the cast (notably the white chavs) rather one-dimensional. It's far from perfect, at times it felt a little bit like watching a student play, but the story is honest and full of heart, and its sentiment is both bold and very romantic.

6/10