What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Wild

Reese Witherspoon plays a character who embarks on a fairly impressive hike across up the Western United States.  It's based on a true story / auto-biography.  

I didn't fancy this one bit prior to renting it and assumed it would be a bit worthy, self-help style, mawkish even, with very little of interest but I was quite, quite wrong.

At first it was a little bit sexy, then a little bit annoying, then it got quite sad, and then uplifting and made me smile, and then a mix of emotions but, ultimately, it finally leaves you with your own questions of existential crisis and dread -- 8/10, would watch again.

Edited by ScotlandGer

Hunger Games 4 - 6/10

Bit fractious compared to the focused glory of the first two films, and seemed to drop the whole propoganda thing from the third film. Briefly looked to be on the up when they

suggested that the attack on the capital was going to take the form of an improvised Games

but the execution was weak to non-existent and the ending just kinda plopped out like a bad oyster. Glad the series is over.

Yup. Weakest of the 4 and came across as an exercise simply aimed at making a 4th film. Most of the film could have been cut drastically and edited into an extended 3rd film really. Tedious 5/10.

Hardcore Henry looks surprisingly good from the trailers. Like the smack my bitch up video.

Remember the doom movie shot in first person? Kinda reminds me of that. Doom was horrendous from what o remember.

Batman vs Superman. Ach it was alright for what it was. I can see why comic book geeks love it due to all the dc universe references, but far to much crammed in to make it fluid, easy watch. Batman stuff was good especially his fight stuff not involving superman. I'd give it a 5/10.

Last few nights I've watched:

American Sniper - heard it was excellent, but although watchable, I wasn't taken with it. - 6/10

The Revenant - again, okay but It won't live long in the memory - 7/10

Kung Fu Panda 3 - not as good as 2. Kicking the arse out it, but still watchable - 5/10

Hunger Games - Mockinjay Part 2 - worst film of the series to end it. 4/10

Oh, more recent than that, Spotlight is every bit as good as the critics suggest. It gets compared to All the President's Men a lot. Fair comparison. Not QUITE that good but it's not far off. And that's a huge compliment in itself.

Victoria 8.5/10

Flippin eck this was good. Thought the whole one take thing was just going to be pure gimmick but it actually had a proper purpose in making the film so immersive. No idea how they pulled it off given that it's 2 hours 20 mins and takes place in loads of different locations and they claim there was no camera trickery at all. Only problem is if you get motion sickness from shakycam you will be absolutely fucked by the end of this

The Huntsman: Winter's War

Pretty shite to be honest. Jessica Chastain's Scottish (I think) accent was atrocious. Could have been quite a fun film, but it was a bit of a gloom fest that took itself a bit too seriously.

3/10

Birdman is an absolute masterpiece. The acting from almost everyone involved is phenomenal. Could happily watch it over and over again.

I hated Birdman. The acting was terrific as you say, (apart from Stone who shouts and screws her face up a lot). The one cut feel is very clever and I appreciate the techniques involved, however, for me it had absolutely no soul at all.

Can anyone recommend a recent 10/10 film?

If your taste in films is the likes of Transformers and Batman v Superman, then don't bother.

Pulp Fiction, Dredd, Django Unchained, Serenity and Goodbye Lenin!

You and I have different ideas about what is recent. All good choices though and respect for including Serenity.

You and I have different ideas about what is recent. All good choices though and respect for including Serenity.

Unless there's been a remake, Pulp Fiction isn't particularly recent. I think I saw it at the cinema back in the '90s.