What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Zootroplis - 8/10.

Surprisingly enjoyed this. Amazing animation and a great film for kids while still enjoyable for adults. Loved the Breaking Bad reference as well.

EDIT - forgot all about the DVLA scene. Think I laughed the loudest of everybody in the cinema :lol:

Zootropolis - 4/10. All of the 4 points are for the DVLA scene, which was in the advert anyway. I know its a kids film, but that main rabbit character annoyed the f**k out of me.

Taking my kids to see this on Friday.

The dvla scene had me in fits when we seen the trailer at star wars.

Edited by mojito

I posted it in the Batman/Superman thread, but I'll post it here too.

It was 'okay'. The film isn't great, but I don't think it's terrible either. I think I'd hold my full judgement for the director's cut. Just to see what that extra half hour could have done to the film.

Doing the Wayne's parents murder again (sighes). I think I've seen five different versions of this now and I really don't think the film needs it anymore considering literally everyone who isn't a troglodyte, knows what happened.

Bruce Wayne's perspective of the Superman/ Zod fight was probably my favourite thing about it. Watching it from a completely different viewpoint, added another layer to Superman having to reveal himself in the first place (because Zod called him out) and had me thinking this all 'Does the world need a Superman' narrative looked like a good setup to the film.

Batman's fight scene at saving Martha Kent was fantastic. He was brutal, unforgiving and the scene was well choreographed in the way that the Watchmen/300 fight-scenes Snyder has proven to have worked fantastically. Makes you almost think he would be better suited to Batman over Superman. I don't like him with the gun though. Batman is a basically an over-qualified fucking ninja; Ninja's don't use such weapons.

Superman didn't really get much screen time for what is a sequel to his film, as did most the direct characters relating to him (needs more Perry White). This whole 'should there be a superman' story had great potential and it was completely skipped over here.

I think Cranston would still have been a better choice for Lex. Fair enough Snyder took a gamble, but it didn't pay off. Lex Luthor is one of these characters that like Superman, actually wants what is best for humanity, but believes power and respect must be given to achieve it in the same way his father achieved it. Superman is dishing out salvation for free, and Luthor despises that and everything about him for it. Cranston would have nailed a more, proud, intimidating pysche down to a tee rather than a more caricature bad guy that reminded me of a 'Modern Joffrey' vibe that I got from (NOT H)Eisenberg.

I enjoyed Wonder Woman. She was used about the right amount. I find myself teased enough to be very intrigued to see her film. Like most, I didn't see the point in the rest of the justice league being inserted in either. They could have been used for a good trailer.

Doomsday wasn't necessary, and not showing it in the trailer might have at worst made it a 'not-terrible' twist in the same way Jimmy Olsen got offed. Two gambles that might have paid off in another world.

The whole superman's death also felt diminished because you knew what was happening as soon as Doomsday showed. You couldn't really feel for his death for the last disingenuous ten minutes of the film either. Putting that 'dirt rising' at the end infuriated me, as it felt patronising to the audience.

In fact, a better plot arguably would have been to have made Lex mind control Superman into turning against humanity and do the Doomsday work for him. This would have paid off in the following:-

a) Not felt like the Batman/Superman fight was a 7 minute, good, but all the same, disappointing anti-climax to the 3 year build up for this fight, which could have been a full on 30 minute rumble worth the pay off.

b) Put a much more believable reason to why Batman and Superman are fighting as well as chucking Wonder Woman into the mix as backup. I'm sick of it always having to be a bad guy having to do all the antagonist heavy lifting, when a misunderstood good guy could be more effective.

c) Would have pushed Superman into hiding, believing that world doesn't need him, paid lip service to the question asked by his potential to wipe out the planet that Bruce Wayne believed, and set up him to be the big gun of inevitable salvation for the Justice League two-parter, and when Darkseid/Brainiac shows up.

d) Lastly, that dream sequence with the dystopian, Injustice(basically Superman ends up like Zod)-Story Superman future could have been used effectively rather than this shoehorned part which felt like it came out of nowhere, As an Easter egg, that would have had me chomping on the bit, out of my seat nuts for the Justice League film.

Snyder can't do humour. He badly needs a writer in his team that can.

TL;DR Some things worked, a lot of others didn't. Still very curious to see the director's cut.

I too was ready to walk out the cinema after the first hour of the Superman vs. Batman movie.

To be honest, I was pretty lost with most parts of the film. I've seen the Batman films but only bits of the Superman films so that's probably the reason why.

I too was ready to walk out the cinema after the first hour of the Superman vs. Batman movie.

To be honest, I was pretty lost with most parts of the film. I've seen the Batman films but only bits of the Superman films so that's probably the reason why.

Was going to see this but if you have to have watched all the previous BM & SM to work out what's going on, I'll not bother.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril

London Has Fallen 5/10. Team Merica f**k yeah.

The next film will be Syria Has Fallen where Gerard single handedly wipes out ISIS.

I saw this yesterday, and although it had some of the most far-fetched stuff in it I've ever seen, I enjoyed it. You know what you're getting with that type of film so you know you're not getting a classic and just to ignore the ridiculous plot holes etc.

Was going to see this but if you have to have watched all the previous BM & SM to work out what's going on, I'll not bother.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril

You don't really, although seeing Man of Steel would probably help.

You also don't need to go to see it - wait for it to come on telly.

Mrs Doubtfire

7/10

Funny, poignant and Robin Williams on top form. Obviously not very believable (but that's not really the point) and the bits where he's switching between the two characters stressed the hell out of me. What really comes across is Williams' versatility. To do the comedy scenes, to play the old lady, to play the heartbroken father, he does them all with aplomb. He really was one of the greats, and this isn't his best film, but he's the best thing about it.

Batman v Superman 4/10

This was actually fairly enjoyable and in its defence Affleck is probably the most Batman-esque Batman we've ever seen, he's morally bankrupt, he completely dismisses the advice of his butler, he is enormously conflicted (and he hates Superman for obvious reasons). Wonder Woman was also a very well realised character and was suitably hot as hell, as was Amy Adams as Lois Lane. Jesse Eisenberg was enjoyably psychotic as Lex Luthor too. In fact every character was quite believable. BUT... it was clearly a film made with nothing in mind other than setting up a Justice League franchise. So the story itself felt both rushed and boring at the same time. The Big Bad (I am led to believe it's a character called Doomsday) was essentially a nuclear-powered cave troll from LOTR and so it didn't feel like something new or exciting. Even the ending, where we see...

Superman die and be buried

...is completely uninteresting because we know full well from the fact that the Justice League is introduced that...

he isn't dead at all

...otherwise what's the point of the film? Hundreds of millions of pounds spent on special effects I didn't really care about because the story was so predictable. That said there were some excellent scenes and Jeremy Irons does deadpan a thousand times better than Michael Caine

Zootropolis 8/10

This was outstanding. Your typical Disney underdog does good film but the story was perfectly put together, and the characters felt enormously relatable. I encourage everyone to go watch this if only for the two scenes with the Sloth which absolutely slayed me. Big recommendation.

The Pearl Button 7/10

Really lovely film this. Companion piece to Nostalgia for the Light except instead of astronomers in the Atacama desert it's native peoples in Patagonia but still got loads of stuff about the horrors of Thatcher's mate Pinochet. Very soporific tho, at least THREE different people fell asleep in the cinema!

Caught some older stuff too this week...

Bowfinger 6/10

Very daft, pretty funny

Straight Outta Compton 6/10

Enjoyable and well-acted but seriously flawed and not just for the stuff that they glossed over or ignored. Corniest moment: the Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang scene

Princess Mononoke 8/10

Beautiful looking film

In the last few days ive watched three films

First one was a brazillian film called Trash about a couple of young boys who find something they shouldnt have whilst working in the rubbish dumps of Rio. It has massive ramifications regarding a leading politician and shows the curruption thats going on. The police are on the payroll of the politician and are pulling out all the stops to get this thing back. Supporting roles for Martin Sheen and Rooney Mara as a priest and teacher respectively,  in the slums.

Thoroughly enjoyed it 8/10

Second one was The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas. Not much i can say thats not already been on the last few pages on this thread. Tragic stuff and not ashamed to say i was a bit choked up at the end. 9/10

Lastly, Life Is Beautiful. Didnt really enjoy the first half an hour or so before him and his son are taken but after that, i was immersed. Despite all he was going through, to keep his spirits up and shy his son from the travesty that was going on around them was magnificent. I thought the end was extremely poignant but as it was happening, i assumed there may be a twist. Unfortunately for Guido, there wasnt :(  10/10