What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Hidden

Had an above average rating on IMDB so gave it a go. It's basically a family of 3 hiding in a bunker as something(s)/someone(s) are looking for them. What I liked is that you aren't sure what is actually looking for them. You also don't know why they are down there or where they are. It is given to us in snippets. It's certainly not a fast paced film. If you liked Buried or Room then I imagine you'll enjoy this as it has the same kind of feel to it.

The twist is worth the watch alone. Not the best twist ever, but it's one I certainly never saw coming and I can't recall it being done before either (or I've just not seen the film).

6.5/10 for me. Worth a watch.

Hell or High Water

Hadn't seen a movie on the level of Spotlight this year but this came VERY close. Great performances, looks great and a snappy script which while comic at times, never really detracts from the tension or the drama. Perfect score #2 of 2016 I believe.

10/10

I started watching the remake of the Evil Dead last night, mainly because I enjoyed (for the most part) Don't Breathe and it's got the same director.  I've also started watching Ash vs Evil Dead.

I had to switch off the film halfway through as I was going to have dinner and I didn't switch it back on.  I might finish watching it tonight but I wasn't really that taken with it.  It's got some shocks and scares but it's kind of by rote and doesn't have the charm or humour of the originals.  The characters are all very flat and stock and I don't really care about them.  In fact, they are kind of annoying.

You can tell there are scenes that if Raimi had directed would've been better done or had a more wicked twist about them - having watched the pilot of AvED last night it really showed what a superb director he is.  

I might finish watching it this week but I'm probably going to search out Drag Me To Hell and watch that instead.  Or even just the original Evil Dead, which is on telly this weekend.

12 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Hidden

Had an above average rating on IMDB so gave it a go. It's basically a family of 3 hiding in a bunker as something(s)/someone(s) are looking for them. What I liked is that you aren't sure what is actually looking for them. You also don't know why they are down there or where they are. It is given to us in snippets. It's certainly not a fast paced film. If you liked Buried or Room then I imagine you'll enjoy this as it has the same kind of feel to it.

The twist is worth the watch alone. Not the best twist ever, but it's one I certainly never saw coming and I can't recall it being done before either (or I've just not seen the film).

6.5/10 for me. Worth a watch.

Watched this on the basis of what you put, as it sounded like my sort of thing. Agree with the 6.5 rating and enjoyed the twist as well. Very slow in the lead up to it though and the wee girl in it is annoying as f**k. Before even realising that it was the same directors as Stranger Things, I thought it was very similar in terms of tone and dialogue.

20 hours ago, killienick said:

Snowpiercer 5/10

It's all a bit meh. Ropey CGI and bad acting all round don't help but the tension and atmosphere could have been ramped up in this thriller. Watch the Raid for an example of what this film should have been, (except on a train). The graphic novel it's based on wasn't terrific either TBF.

I understand why it hasn't found a distributor in the UK after seeing it.

It's just a collection of scenes (some of which are pretty cool tbf) that don't gel into a coherent story, the premise actually makes a coherent story impossible as it's utterly ridiculous.

It's like watching a dream sequence where they've merged Oldboy with Runaway Train!

19 minutes ago, Tommy Nooka said:

It's just a collection of scenes (some of which are pretty cool tbf) that don't gel into a coherent story, the premise actually makes a coherent story impossible as it's utterly ridiculous.

It's like watching a dream sequence where they've merged Oldboy with Runaway Train!

That's pretty bang on for me. Some bits I liked, but on the whole I thought it was a bit of a mess. The "reveals" in the comic book are done slightly better and it makes a bit more sense, however, I can see why they ditched some more outlandish plot.

Hell or High Water

It was almost like going for a detox or a spa. Felt like having the eyes, ears and soul thoroughly cleansed and purified. I'd have been happy enough just listening to the music on the cinema sound system. There's such natural interaction between the characters (the stuff between Bridges and his not quite so old colleague and the diner scene with the flirty waitress was almost like spying on a private conversation). The whole thing feels earthy and tied so closely to the location, like Texas itself is a main character. As the film ends, the camera pans away and is simply placed down in the long grass and stays rolling as the credits roll, reinforcing that natural feel and connection to the location. Really impressive. 9.9/10

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover 7/10

Greenaway continued, this time with his most popular and acclaimed film, starring Helen Mirren, Michael Gambon, Tim Roth Trigger from Only Fools and Horses and Ian Dury.

At some point I reckon Wes Anderson has seen Peter Greenaway's work and said 'yes I'll do that but I'll make it NICE and innocent'. Fair enough, these are great ideas and they deserve wider exposure if Greenaway is going to make difficult films to stomach. Gripping and strange film that works because the plot could work in any style (gangster's moll has affair, gangster finds out). Violent and saddening and weird and dream-like, like paintings coming to life. Gambon and Mirren are great in this, as is the boy soprano.

Aspects of Kirkwall 8/10

Actually a series of short films by Margaret Tait all jammed together. Might as well count them as one. 

Completely pleasant and poetic series about Kirkwall in Orkney. You're either in or out for this kind of stuff, there's no plot, it's just a bunch of stuff.

Watched this on the basis of what you put, as it sounded like my sort of thing. Agree with the 6.5 rating and enjoyed the twist as well. Very slow in the lead up to it though and the wee girl in it is annoying as f**k. Before even realising that it was the same directors as Stranger Things, I thought it was very similar in terms of tone and dialogue.

I'm glad I inspired you, my friend :D

A Single Man - OK, it's not going to be for everyone with its gay themes but, that aside, it's a finely acted and directed movie. Colin Firth is absolutely tremendous in the lead role and Julianne Moore is also not only superb but looks as hot as f**k.

It's slow moving and wordy but holds your attention and builds to a sad and ironic ending. 8/10

Imagine opening with an apologetic line for watching a "gay themes" movie in 2016!!

A Single Man, coming over here with its gay themes this, gay themes that, who the bloody hell does it think it is?  I don't mind A Single Man's gay themes but not when they flaunt it in front of your face! Some of my best themes are gay, honest

Edited by Christophe