What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

10 hours ago, pittsburgh phil said:

Just watched Jaws for the millionth time, definitely my one of my favourite films, but have only now come to consider Ben Gardner's (the dummy head guy) death...shark bit into boat and he drowned somehow? Little fish nibbled out his eye?

I always felt that the boat was attacked and sunk. He drowned and, as you say, fishes eat his eye out.

Interesting fact film fans: After initial viewings, Spielberg felt the film needed another 'jump' moment and the scene with Ben Gardner's boat was filmed after the wrap. It was filmed in a producer's swimming pool.  

15 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I've watched it all, and I'm still not sure I liked it or not. Felt like you had to see it through, kind of thing. Glad to have watched it, anyhoo.

In other news: the new Ghostbusters isn't as bad as I'd feared (still not brilliant, mind), and Dirty Thirty had a few laughs.

I don't understand the hate for the new Ghostbusters. It's not a patch on the original but it's still good fun and nowhere near as bad as other re-imaginings which took less flack such as Planet of the Apes and Point Break.  

The Girl With All the Gifts

5/10 didn't really do it for me. Was expecting more, all I got was poor character development and decisions made only to get to a certain point.

When ciaran the black squaddie goes off on his own for miles? Why do that when the girl can get stuff?

Going to cinema tonight. Fortunately missus has seen Bridget Jones' Baby so the choice is The Infiltrator, The Magnificient Seven or The Girl With All the Gifts.

Magnificent Seven is great fun.

Blair Witch too is decent.

Blair Witch is arguably a bigger stain on the original than the first sequel was, but agree on The Magnificent Seven. A joy to watch. Deepwater Horizon and Swiss Army Man out this week too, and I plan on catching both at the start of next week.

Can't agree with that. Blair Witch is decent fare. Overly reliant on jump scares and about 15 too many of them, but that aside it was a fun 6/10 for me.

Cinema

The Magnificent Seven (2016)

As someone who has a fondness for the aesthetic of a western (more so Leone and Eastwood than Ford), I was looking forward to seeing a standard, entertaining fare. And when viewed on those simple terms, I think this can be considered a moderate success. Found it more than a little empty and soulless to start with, serving as neither a full-on imitation or reinvention of the basic formula, but things kicked in when the seven were finally together and the action began. 

The climatic sequences were involving, but I was left wanting a bit more. Feels like a missed opportunity in some ways, as I think you could do a lot more with the premise. We had diversity in the characters, but it wasn't explored in any detail. There was a hint of an interesting dynamic between Washington and Hawke's characters, and I wanted to see more of that. However, it wasn't a terrible way to spend a couple of hours, and I think it will play well to audiences. But it could (and should) have been better.

Anthropoid (2016)

I liked this quite a lot. Despite the first-half being a little ITV2 Drama like, I was impressed by the intelligence running throughout the film. The discussion of whether it was *worth* killing Heydrich, considering the dire consequences that would undeniably be inflicted on innocent people and those connected to the plot, was something that I noted. Yes, it's "heroic" to do what they did, but was it just a costly piece of posturing. There's no easy answer. The final 30 minutes or so were brilliantly done, quite devastating in places, and took what was a solid historical piece to another level. I'm a fan of both Cillian Murphy and Toby Jones, so it was always going to be watchable from their perspective, and despite my reservations about actors speaking English with unconvincing Czech accents, this was a good, worthwhile film. Shame that it hasn't been seen more widely.

TV

The French Connection (1971)

This is a movie that has grown on me with each viewing. When I first saw it, there was a lot to admire, but I wasn't completely sold on it. I didn't love it. However, in the years since, I've come to appreciate Friedkin's movie as being a truly brilliant piece of work. Relentlessly paced, smart, and daring for its time, it's quite simply thrilling to watch. The famous chase sequence is fantastic, but I've always enjoyed the cat-and-mouse game between Charnier and Doyle at the train station. That's a particular favourite of mine, and a high point of a film that I always look forward to revisiting. 

Jackie Brown (1997)

Much like the French Connection, this has improved with each viewing. It's my favourite Tarantino movie. Certainly the one with the most developed and engaging characters. Rather than being the cartoonish (albeit sometimes entertaining) figures you see in his other work, you actually believe in Jackie, Max and Ordell as real people. There's something genuinely touching and endearing about the relationship between Pam Grier and Robert Forster, and I just enjoy listening to everybody in it just talking away to each other. They're all older individuals looking for something different (or more) from life. It's Quentin's most adult film, and I would argue that it's perhaps his best.

Murder Inc 7/10

1960s gangster film, early turn by Peter Falk, who is brilliantly menacing.

I have a book about Murder Inc, which is where my moniker comes from. Pittsburgh Phil was their most prolific assassin. I think there was a guy on here called Kid Twist ages ago, again Abel Reles was a stone cold killer who turned informant. Did not end well for either of them (Harry Strauss in the electric chair, Reles defenestrated whilst in police custody)

It's crying out for a movie treatment IMO!

Star Wars Force Awakens

Saw this at the cinema shortly after it came out but couldn't remember a thing about it, hence picked up the DVD when we fancied going to the cinema but there was sod all of interest on.

Anyway, really enjoyed it but it was almost like watching a whole new sequel, couldn't remember seeing 90% of it. Weird.

7.5/10 (would have been 8 without typical Lucas needless cgi alien characters)

Star Trek: Beyond 7/10

Loads of action, but considering the director that's hardly surprising. The action does get in the way of the story a bit but it's still an enjoyable spectacle. James T and Spock are both, separately, having doubts about their future in Starfleet but the importance of their friendship to each other and the Federation is highlighted after Idris Elba tries to kill everyone with a McGuffin he stole from Starfleet.