What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

(163-165)

Wajib 7/10

Two Israeli Arab fellas (dad and lad, played by an actual dad and lad) drive around Nazareth dropping off wedding invitations, which is apparently quite a big thing in Israeli Arab Christian culture since the son came all the way back from Italy to help out. Anyway obviously the story is a cypher for exploring the father son relationship, and to a lesser extent the lives of Israeli Arabs and the politics of their particular situation. Does nothing hugely original but an engaging film and passes 90 mins until the next Marvel film comes out. (cinema)

22 July 8/10

Christ, a bit too much perspective! Doesn’t always hit the mark, but bloody hell! (Netflix)

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace 2/10

Right, where to begin - there’s not much to say that hasn’t already been said but here we go...it gets off to a very bad start, and for a good hour afterwards it just gets worse and worse and worse. A lot has already been said about the dreary fact that it’s about trade disputes, but fucking hell i’m already bored eight words into the yellow word crawl. Logic also takes a serious kicking in this film, beginning with the line “they must be dead by now...go in there and finish what’s left of them”(!!!?!). And why do the Trade Federation have a seat on the Galactic Senate when their success as an organisation is dependent on a franchise awarded to them by the...er...Galactic Senate? Everything that happens in the first hour of this film irritates the f**k out of me, including the giant fishes, the fact that a massive pod race just happens to be happening the very next day, the fact that they decided to bring Jar Jar into town with them when they want to keep a low profile and they’ve already marked him as hopeless and good at getting into trouble. I’m not even gonna go into the major flaws and contradictions and overwhelming coincidences (Anakin having built a droid who ends up through sheer coincidence in his son’s possession some 30-odd years later) rife in the film, or the midichlorians or any of the other shit that has been done to death. The pod race bores me to tears. It doesn’t help that for the first half of the race, nearly everything Greg Proops says begins with “Looks like”...for some reason I’m really irritated by the fact that Anakin’s pod sound effects are just layered sounds of F1 cars. By the time they’re in Coruscant, some kind of defence mechanism has kicked in and I’ve sort of glazed over and stopped analysing things. As it moves into its final act, I just find it, at worst, boring. I think as a nuts and bolts set of action sequences, the final act is perfectly competent if not interesting or particularly exciting or tense.  The film has very minor redeeming qualities. I do think Darth Maul is stylistically cool. I think the double-ended lightsaber reveal moment as he’s stood in that massive hanger doorway as Duel of the Fates kicks in is beautifully staged and it would have been a magnificent moment had they not already shown him using it in the trailer so it wasn’t a surprise. Mostly though, as a film in its own right, it’s very irritating and quite boring. (Sky)

Venom

I had a LOT of fun watching this movie. I'm definitely sold on the inevitable sequel although I do think it'll be missing something without the original dynamic between Brock and Venom. Hardy is ridiculously great here and hilarious in parts as well. Everything involving Michelle Williams was a bit shit. Riz Ahmed was an okay villain. 

8/10

Walk The Line (DVD)

I like Johnny Cash so don't know why it's taken so long to get round to watching this. It's a good film showing his early life and all his struggles. Joachin Phoenix is excellent as Cash but Reese Witherspoon steals the show as June Carter, his second wife.  Really enjoyed it.

8.5/10

Walk The Line (DVD)
I like Johnny Cash so don't know why it's taken so long to get round to watching this. It's a good film showing his early life and all his struggles. Joachin Phoenix is excellent as Cash but Reese Witherspoon steals the show as June Carter, his second wife.  Really enjoyed it.
8.5/10
i thought Robert Patrick gave a solid performance as ray cash

The Odd Couple(Sky)

Pretty much a masterclass in comedy,no matter how many times you see it there's more to admire, if they made it now it'd be a gross out movie of sorts or have a race angle, this is just pure performance.10/10

Now you see me 2(ch4)

A bit shite,reminds me how annoying I found the characters in the first one. 2/10

Bad Times at the El Royale - 7/10 (cinema)

This would probably be an 8 or 9 if it wasn't needlessly long. Jeff Bridges is excellent, and the opening hour or so is flawless. Loses some momentum in some dragged out scenes midway through, but overall a very enjoyable watch.

First Man - 3/10 (cinema)

Dull as dishwater. I get that Armstrong wasn't the most charismatic of people, but everything about this felt flat. Even Ryan Gosling, who I'm a massive fan of, and who tends to play this type of personality really well couldn't really galvanise this.

(166-169)

Columbus 7/10

Based around an almost father-daughter relationship that develops between a resident of the town and older Korean guy who has come to visit his sick dad. Never heard of the place (Columbus, Indiana) but apparently the whole town is like some sort of shrine to mid century architecture so it looks pretty great as they just sort of wander around the place chatting. Clear inspirations from everyone’s favourite Japanese director Ozu so if you like his stuff then you might like this but otherwise prob don’t bother. (cinema)

Operation Finale 9/10

About the capture of Eichmann. Gripping. (Netflix)

First Man 7/10

Splendid biopic of Neil Armstrong. It’s not about the space race, it’s not about any particular mission, it’s not the story of overcoming the odds or battling bureaucracy. It’s the story of Neil Armstrong from his X15 test flights in 1961 to  the moon landing in 1969, through his home life (shot in 16mm) and NASA work (shot in 35mm) through to the climatic scene on the moon (shot in full IMAX). Gosling is brilliant at playing Armstrong as a taciturn, outwardly emotionless engineer who’s actually wracked with grief after a tragic death (and as many of his colleagues also die in the struggle to beat the Soviets to the moon). The test flights and missions are shot from within the planes and rocket modules, with close-ups and claustrophobic shots out of tiny portals, rather than shots of the spacecraft from a distance. This, along with feeing every rattle and creak of the cockpit works brilliantly to put the audience in the place of the astronauts. The scenes on the moon are breathtaking and well worth the wait. I’ve seen criticism of the film based on the fact that Armstrong is a very uninteresting character but that is criticising a different film. Sure Buzz Aldrin would have been a more charismatic protagonist but this is as much a film about handling grief and getting on with the job. Really strong support cast too, led by Claire Foy, Jason Clarke and Corey Stoll. (cinema)

A Star Is Born 6/10

Never seen any of the previous 3 versions, or the film the first was based on, or the Bollywood one. First off I have to say the acting (by Gaga, Cooper, Sam Elliott, Andrew Dice Clay - seriously I saw his name in the credits and had to look up who he was playing, could not believe that was him) was absolutely superb and the musical performances felt utterly real and visceral. The story is an old one and obviously stands up fine. So in many respects it was a fabulous film and I can fully understand all the rave reviews. I just thought the songs were absolute cack - and they play each of them in full - especially the “pop” numbers that Gaga starts to perform as her career takes off. But it’s not like the bog-standard blues-rock peddled by Cooper (and a real life band called Lukas Nelson and The Promise of the Real - never heard of them) is much better. That held it back for me a fair bit. (cinema)

(166-169)
Columbus 7/10
Based around an almost father-daughter relationship that develops between a resident of the town and older Korean guy who has come to visit his sick dad. Never heard of the place (Columbus, Indiana) but apparently the whole town is like some sort of shrine to mid century architecture so it looks pretty great as they just sort of wander around the place chatting. Clear inspirations from everyone’s favourite Japanese director Ozu so if you like his stuff then you might like this but otherwise prob don’t bother. (cinema)
Operation Finale 9/10
About the capture of Eichmann. Gripping. (Netflix)
First Man 7/10
Splendid biopic of Neil Armstrong. It’s not about the space race, it’s not about any particular mission, it’s not the story of overcoming the odds or battling bureaucracy. It’s the story of Neil Armstrong from his X15 test flights in 1961 to  the moon landing in 1969, through his home life (shot in 16mm) and NASA work (shot in 35mm) through to the climatic scene on the moon (shot in full IMAX). Gosling is brilliant at playing Armstrong as a taciturn, outwardly emotionless engineer who’s actually wracked with grief after a tragic death (and as many of his colleagues also die in the struggle to beat the Soviets to the moon). The test flights and missions are shot from within the planes and rocket modules, with close-ups and claustrophobic shots out of tiny portals, rather than shots of the spacecraft from a distance. This, along with feeing every rattle and creak of the cockpit works brilliantly to put the audience in the place of the astronauts. The scenes on the moon are breathtaking and well worth the wait. I’ve seen criticism of the film based on the fact that Armstrong is a very uninteresting character but that is criticising a different film. Sure Buzz Aldrin would have been a more charismatic protagonist but this is as much a film about handling grief and getting on with the job. Really strong support cast too, led by Claire Foy, Jason Clarke and Corey Stoll. (cinema)
A Star Is Born 6/10
Never seen any of the previous 3 versions, or the film the first was based on, or the Bollywood one. First off I have to say the acting (by Gaga, Cooper, Sam Elliott, Andrew Dice Clay - seriously I saw his name in the credits and had to look up who he was playing, could not believe that was him) was absolutely superb and the musical performances felt utterly real and visceral. The story is an old one and obviously stands up fine. So in many respects it was a fabulous film and I can fully understand all the rave reviews. I just thought the songs were absolute cack - and they play each of them in full - especially the “pop” numbers that Gaga starts to perform as her career takes off. But it’s not like the bog-standard blues-rock peddled by Cooper (and a real life band called Lukas Nelson and The Promise of the Real - never heard of them) is much better. That held it back for me a fair bit. (cinema)

Lukas is Willie Nelson's boy. He and POTR have been working a lot live and on record with the godlike genius that is Neil young for a few years now. Fine band.

A Crooked Somebody

A "psychic" gets kidnapped by someone wanting to reach someone who died. Said psychic plays along to try and use it to benefit his own career. It's a brilliant movie with some absolutely cracking shifts in tone, and that kinda helps keep you on your toes, as I wasn't ever sure where the movie was going to end up. Loved this.

9/10

Three Netflix films in the last three nights.
The Titan
5/10 random sci fi sees Sam Worthington as a soldier undergoing treatment and surgery to enable him to survive on Titan. His wife is good. Rest pretty formulaic.

Cold Skin
7/10
Boy arrives on abandoned island and with another guy kills lots of seal/human creatures. One of the guys is shagging one of he creatures. Pretty uncomfortable atmosphere but watchable.

Hold The Dark
N/a at the moment.
Went to bed as I was tirrd but enjoying this creepy werewolf in Alaska type thing. Ruined to a degree like so many films these days BY INCESSANT FUCKING MUMBLING. Might try and finish it tonight.

Apostle (Netflix)

A kind of homage to the Wickerman.  A cult on an Island off the Welsh coast led by a prophet (Michael Sheen) who believes the failing crops on the island can be fixed my kidnapping a mainlander for ransom to the King.  The lassie he kidnap's brother comes to the island to try to rescue her.

Sheen is great as usual and the visuals are very impressive.  Goes a bit weird at the end but I think its classed as a horror rather than a thriller, so that can be excused.

7 pon 10 for me.