What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Halloween ( 2018 )

This is quite the effort at a proper sequel. I thought this version of Myers was even better than the original one. It only felt like that version was SUPPOSED to be pure evil, rather than actually being so. No such problems with him this time.

One gripe would be the big showdown but the ending of that was very well down and there was some good stuff going on throughout. Some great shots of the carnage that Myers was creating too throughout. 

8/10

On 10/21/2018 at 17:54, wellinwigan said:

The 1517 to paris

4/10

Needless true story about 3 yanks stopping a terroist on a train. The real life hero's play themselves which is the most scariest thing about the film. They can't act . All the action takes place about 5mins before the end of the film .rubbish

I watched this on Saturday and everything you said above is spot on.

I don't mind a bit of character development in a film but they literally spend about 115 minutes of a 120 minute film building up to the attack.  We see what the guys were like at school and then get to see them go round some tourist attractions in Rome and Venice. The acting is awful and they don't really have that interesting a back story to make the build up enjoyable. 

1 hour ago, The Minertaur said:

I watched this on Saturday and everything you said above is spot on.

I don't mind a bit of character development in a film but they literally spend about 115 minutes of a 120 minute film building up to the attack.  We see what the guys were like at school and then get to see them go round some tourist attractions in Rome and Venice. The acting is awful and they don't really have that interesting a back story to make the build up enjoyable. 

Its a brave enough idea but its the kind of thing that needs some artistic license...very few films about a real event are completely factual because the interesting thing is over in about a minute.

3 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

Halloween - Probably one of the best slasher flicks, and horror films, to come out for quite some time. Just classic mindless violence, with some very good nods to the original. Loved it.

Can't wait to see this. Meant to go over the weekend but ended up too busy doing other things. 

(176)

The Secret Life of Pets 5/10

Adorable, Louis CK as a plucky dog, yes please. The story spirals out into bullshit territory but you’re only there for the amusing characters of which there are loads. A little bit racist but in that American way where what’s more American than racism. (Netflix)

Veteran

A quick paced South Korean action comedy that was actually seriously good. Drops the comedy a little in the second half of the film as it goes more for the action bent but it's to hours I certainly enjoyed.

9/10

(177-180)

Apostle 7/10

I quite enjoyed this. It’s initially a suspense thriller kind of deal with some kind of spooky undertones, but eventually it turns into violent gore horror. It’s a biiiiit naff at times, but I think it has its tongue in its cheek, and while I didn’t particularly care about any of the characters, I did find myself thoroughly enjoying them dying in unpleasant ways. (Netflix)

Private Life 6/10

Couple of old people decide to have a baby before it’s too late except it really is too late because they’re in their 40s so they have to try IVF. I’m guessing it’s prob not a completely inaccurate representation of that method of conceiving and would PROPER put you off trying it if you were ever thinking about it. Characters were pretty annoying but I’m guessing that was intentional tbf. Very Noah Baumbach but definitely one of the lesser (While We’re Young) than one of the better (Squid and the Whale) ones. I had higher hopes for this. The Savages (same director) was  really great in that similarly-minded middle-class Brooklyn milieu of anxiety and malaise but I guess there should be a moratorium on this genre now. (Netflix)

The Land of Steady Habits 4/10

Just a fair-to-middling dawdle through yet another mid-life crisis that even Ben Mendelsohn couldn’t rescue. Who cares? (Netflix)

The Terrornauts 9/10

It doesn’t get much cheaper than this. A scientist, his secretary/girlfriend and his engineer-friend are looking for messages from out of space but the head of the science lab wants to pull their funding. They’re given 3 months to come up with results. A couple of days before the deadline they hear a signal, on the very some day an accountant comes in to audit them. The accountant is Charles Hawtry. The find a signal that sounds like a distress call. The scientists reveal that his dad was an archaeologist and when digging in France he found an artefact that was a box with a speaker on it which he gave to him (the scientist). The scientist broke it and had mental dreams. Then the lab is beamed onto a rock with the scientist, gf, engineer, Charles Hawtry and a tea lady they meet a robot and then they whole film goes fucking mental. It’s really good though. (DVD)

I note that Eye in the Sky is to be aired on Film4 this coming week.

Normally when you see Helen Mirren and Alan Rickman on the cast list you would assume it has to be good, well, it isn't.

They must have needed to pay for a house renovation or something at the time when they were presented with the script.

Finding your feet. 9.9/10.

Probably not everybody’s cup of tea on here, but, being an old school type git, I loved it. A stellar cast of well proven British glitterati had me laughing and crying in equal measures. (Amazon Prime)

1 hour ago, jimmy boo said:
2 hours ago, Anodyne said:
Brother's Nest - I thought it was a really good Aussie dark comedy

I searched for this and couldn't find it anywhere (dodgy apps I'm referring to)

Saw it at Grimmfest a few weeks back, don’t know if it’s having a wider release or not, haven’t seen it pop up anywhere else since. 

The Fog (1980)

Don't think it would be an 18 these days. Watched with missus and daughter and they were more amused than scared by (terrified me when I first saw it aged about 5. Left me with a fear of fog I've still not quite shaken off). Out at cinemas again this week too. Heard Clarisse Loughrey on Kermode & Mayo make a good point that horrors show what was playing on the public psyche at the time. Isolation and being trapped alone is a big theme of The Fog. The synths and the general aesthetic make it worth a watch. Doubt anyone would be too scared watching it now. 

(181-183)

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes 6/10

Marilyn Monroe and Jayne Russell tart  about being saucy in a knowingly superficial romp by Howard Hawks. The set pieces are great and visually amazing, though really the story is just a device to get to the bits where Monroe and Russell are sassy and catty. The ending is so interminable as well, like they had a bot stuck on a loop. But fun. (dvd)

Alien 10/10

Just searched back and gave this a 9 on last viewing....f**k it...10/10

Capricorn One 8/10

Great little film about a hoaxed mission to Mars. (YouTube)

Edited by Christophe

Geostorm

Utter fucking nonsense. Garbage.

It gets a 2/10. It should be one of those 'so bad it's good' films, and indeed it looks like they tried to make it like that, with Gerard Butler perfectly cast. He talks a power of shite and it's highly entertaining.

However it was actually the two other leads (played by Jim Sturgess and Abbie Cornish) who let this down, as their characters are just shit and annoying. They play it far too seriously and end up looking rather stupid at times.