What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Guest Moomintroll

Just back in from Endgame, I am an unashamed MCU fanboy but it was everything I was hoping for. 10/10 & tears were shed at a couple of points.

Stan & Ollie -- A delightfully gentle wee comedic biopic about Laurel & Hardy's final tour of the UK in 1953-54. John C Reilly is great as Hardy but Steve Coogan steals the show as Stan Laurel. 9/10

Battleship - absolute pish some good performances by some of the actors(Kiwi chef petty officer and the Swedish actor playing the older brother). You can tell that they planed to have a sequel before it bombed. Some of the action scenes are well done and some of the music used is good. The syfy version is just as good(from the last 30/40mins I seen of it)
4/10
Red Dawn(2011 version) - An ok film not a masterpiece but a film that you can just sit a watch and try not to think about(and notice the errors in it and actors playing Americans but still using their natural accents)
6.5/10

Drone - worst film I have ever seen. Gave up after about 20/30min into it. Absolutely terrible script, no chemistry between any of the actors who all looked like they did not want to be there.
2/10
Oblivion - a decent Si-Fi film with s small cast. A good script with Tom Cruise giving a good performance as the main character. Liked the fallout style opening scene and the spaceship that looked like it was straight out of Kerbal Space Program.
8/10

Easy A

Absolutely loved this. Not sure how I missed it when it came out. Would have happily restarted it and watched again. Emma Stone accidentally becomes known as the "easiest" girl in school (she's not really) but she goes with it and the attention it brings. It could have been pretty dark but instead it's sweet and funny with loads of great supporting characters hamming it up (eg Stanley Tucci as her dad). Easy 10/10. 

Easy A
Absolutely loved this. Not sure how I missed it when it came out. Would have happily restarted it and watched again. Emma Stone accidentally becomes known as the "easiest" girl in school (she's not really) but she goes with it and the attention it brings. It could have been pretty dark but instead it's sweet and funny with loads of great supporting characters hamming it up (eg Stanley Tucci as her dad). Easy 10/10. 
It's a decent wee film!

Stanley Kubrick died 20 years ago hence the reason there's been a few of his films on tv recently.

Caught a couple of his earlier ones I hadn't seen before.

Paths Of Glory (1957) - Kirk Douglas plays a Commanding Officer in the French Army during WW1 who ends up having to defend his soldiers who have been accused of cowardice for refusing to attack an enemy position. Very much an anti-war film where you never see the enemy, the Germans, but witness the drama in a combat between the French high ranking officers as they vie for prestige and honours with the victims being the innocent French soldiers .The final scene is particularly poignant.
8.5/10

The Killing (1956) - this is a very good film noir about a heist at a horse racing track. It's well crafted and the narration takes the viewer on different paths showing how the day of the heist unfolds from each of the gang's point of view. The ending is a bit of a surprise and is the sort of black humour I would expect from Alfred Hitchcock.
7.5/10

I saw Eighth Grade today. Initial reaction is that it's really, really good.
Like Lady Bird but a bit weirder, a bit younger, more modern and better in how it provides a snapshot of that time. I know trends are constantly changing, but if I last another 20 years on this planet and fancy looking back on what life was like 20 years ago, this is the film I'd go to.
The way in which it makes you live Kayla's anxiety is just terrific, and there's one scene that goes on for much longer than I wanted (which, in this case, is actually a compliment) but that was because I was so invested in the character that I wanted her out of the situation.
Some of the father/daughter stuff is reminiscent of peak Homer/Lisa in The Simpsons.

(111–115)

The Patriot Game 8/10

Another Mubi classic from the vaults this, a 1979 pro republican doco on the troubles, proper snapshot in time with some amazing footage from out on the streets in the middle of protests and under fire army patrols and even tho the bias is obvious it doesn’t feel like an unfair summation of how things got to where they did if you ignore some of the attempts to excuse innocent people being killed (ie that warnings hadn’t been heeded etc). Added horror watching it knowing that nothing was going to change for another nearly 20 years. 

Unicorn Store 6/10

Netflix film, Brie Larson’s directorial debut, starring Brie Larson and Samuel L Jackson, and also Joan Cusack. This got absolutely terrible reviews but I quite liked it. It’s not subtle but the message of growing up and accepting that your parents did what they could for you and that your childish dreams can be left behind and yet still comprise a part of your psyche.

The Devil and Daniel Webster 7/10

1940s morality tale set in the 1840s about a farmer who sells his soul to the devil and his defended by Daniel Webster, who I just found it is a real person. Rather enjoyed this rather creepy in parts and Walter Huston great as the devil  and can sometime be quite menacing. (Amazon Prime)

Guava Island 8/10

Essentially a long form video to accompany new songs from Childish Gambino aka Donald Glover, but beautifully shot and totally uplifting. Deni attempts to put on a music festival, despite the island being overruled by a dictatorship. Positive messages of art will overcome suppression. Worth it for the This Is America scene alone. (Amazon Prime)

Le Bonheur 8/10

A feminist nouvelle vague classic by the recently departed Agnes Varda. Really good this. Man has perfect life: beautiful independent loving woman, children who love him and are growing up well, work that he enjoys with people he likes, and is generally a pillar of his little familiar suburb of Paris. He then meets another woman and starts an affair. He still loves his wife,  but just thinks he can have everything and for a while there are no consequences at all. Then there are, not long after telling his wife the truth (which she initially receives well!). Looks amazing, bops along quickly, some slightly annoying New Wave editing but mostly inventive in a pleasurable way. (DVD)

Edited by Christophe

Extremely wicked, Shockingly evil and vile - I thought Zac Efron was really good in the role of Ted Bundy. I thought it was a good movie 7/10

Watched it this morning. Thought it was pretty good, would have preferred to see a bit more of how the killings happened tho. Also thought Efron was good. If you haven’t already I would recommend the Bundy tapes on Netflix.

(116-117)

The Unknown Girl 5/10

A doctor, working late, declines to answer the door to someone after hours. They end up dead. Another Dardenne bros film but not from my boxset - by happy accident this is on iplayer. It’s shot on digital and has a slightly more traditional filming style, but is otherwise classic Dardenne themes: Liege, class, guilt, I people going beyond their social role. Problem is it feels a bit wanting, and kind of becomes a generic detective story as the doctor tries to find out who the woman was. Like Colombo we meet the perp early and there are a few red herrings. Unlike Colombo it’s not a lot of fun and some of the minor roles are really badly acted. There’s a side story that gets less interesting as it goes on too. The central narrative is resolved after a few blind alleys, but in a weird unsatisfactory way: the guy says yes he saw her die but he definitely didn’t do it even though all through the film he’s a Billy Liar, somehow the doctor believes him. I did enjoy parts of it, but it was also frustrating and overlong and the kid who plays Bryan gets way too much screen time. 

High Life 7.5/10

Decent film this, visually very appealing, reminded me of Ex Machina in some ways but set in space, not entirely sure what it was about but these convicts from death row are sent up there as guinea pigs to go into a black hole or something, meanwhile Juliette Binoche, who must be about 60 by now and still looks smoking hot, is some sort of sex doctor and is taking sperm from the dudes to try to make a baby, there’s also a sybian she has a go on, don’t think it quite worked overall, the film not the sybian, but well worth checking out and would watch again. (cinema)