What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Burn After Reading - Coen Brothers (2008)

Men and women driven by greed and stupidity ruin each other and their own lives. I think John Malkovich might be my favourite actor with great performances by Brad Pitt, George Clooney and Frances McDormand. Tilda Swinton is disturbingly tidy.

I think the general momentum of this movie and J.K Simmons (great) reactions to the developing plot is maybe the most accurate portrayal of the history of the CIA’s interventions throughout history. Dumb, ignorant and plugged with bundles of cash when the fallout reaches their desk.

8/10

There's a fillum on iPlayer right now called 'Molly's Game', true story about Molly Bloom who set up high roller poker games in LA and Noo Yoick for the Hollywood A-listers, Wall St criminals and Russian mobsters and ended up in court for her troubles. Not a bad film TBH although I'd never heard of the woman.

Started listening to audiobook of her story, in which she actually names the film stars and hedge fund managers who attended her games.

One particularly odious actor creep stands out. 🤮

46 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

There's a fillum on iPlayer right now called 'Molly's Game', true story about Molly Bloom who set up high roller poker games in LA and Noo Yoick for the Hollywood A-listers, Wall St criminals and Russian mobsters and ended up in court for her troubles. Not a bad film TBH although I'd never heard of the woman.

Started listening to audiobook of her story, in which she actually names the film stars and hedge fund managers who attended her games.

One particularly odious actor creep stands out. 🤮

Wow, Tobey Maguire sounds like an utter shit.

Unhinged (2020)

Enjoyable enough, I thought the first half was much stronger than the second, and for one main reason.

It all started to become a little bit ridiculous, most thrillers like this do. Between not getting caught or seriously injured far earlier in the film, I found myself wanting it to be wrapped up pretty quickly, after enjoying it and being well sucked in for 45 minutes.

Russell Crowe plays the ominously dangerous stranger well and they should have used this more IMO.

I also thought the ending was a bit shit; her little catchphrase while planting the scissors in his eye was a bit cringeworthy and unnecessary, and the way the police just took a quick statement before sending them on their way was a bit unsatisfying as a conclusion. Not to mention the boy’s little quip about not beeping her horn being a bit daft.

Saying that, I liked how the film was concise and wasn’t padded out with a back/side story (which isn’t always a bad thing, but this film suited the straight-to-the-point plot).

7/10.

Being at the cinema socially distant was fantastic. Barely anyone there, nobody near you and you didn’t have to get up for folk going back and forth for a pish during the film.

Tenet - a secret agent is tasked with a mission to prevent World War III, uncovering a variety of mind-bending technologies and revelations along the way.

I've been a Chris Nolan fanboy since Memento, and got a pretty good handle on some of the films that seem to have given people difficulty, but he lost me on this one. I got the rough idea, but ended up losing track of the aim of entire scenes, and sometimes even why characters were in a certain place. I'm sure the much-commented-upon problems with dialogue had a hand in this - there's a whole long scene at sea where I literally could not understand a word that was being said - but the film also grabs the audience by the collar and yanks us along for the ride quite regularly. It's hard to say whether Nolan's greatly overestimated our (or just my) ability to keep up with a twisty storyline that bends and folds its narrative for fun, or if the aim was always to leave the audience confused and primed for repeat viewings.

Nevertheless, it was still a fun watch; "Bond goes sci-fi" has been a popular take, and it does have that feel. A good film, despite the eventual antagonist's motives being disappointingly mundane, an overarching Big Bad being frustratingly (if necessarily) nebulous, and a few plot elements seeming a tad trite on reflection.

Joker

I saw this at the cinema when it first came out last year  and I enjoyed it, watched it again last last night and I enjoyed it even more. There's loads of little things that didn't notice first time round.

I'm not into Marvel or DC stuff at all but this is completely different. My only minor gripe is that it wears it's influences on its sleeve a bit too obviously.

A near perfect film.

10/10

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

Palm Springs

Basically a modern day Groundhog Day. Guy wakes up at a wedding every single day. He gets a girl to join him and you know where that goes. Still, quite a few chuckles throughout without any belly laughs. Not sure if it's what the film makers intended but throughout the film I was thinking if I would enjoy that loop and what I would do every day.

JK Simmons has a smallish part and is as ever, very good. Easy 90 minute viewing. If you decide to watch it, leave the credits running. There is a piece in there which I wasn't aware of until someone else who watched it told me about it a couple of days later.

6/10

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Palm Springs

Basically a modern day Groundhog Day. Guy wakes up at a wedding every single day. He gets a girl to join him and you know where that goes. Still, quite a few chuckles throughout without any belly laughs. Not sure if it's what the film makers intended but throughout the film I was thinking if I would enjoy that loop and what I would do every day.

JK Simmons has a smallish part and is as ever, very good. Easy 90 minute viewing. If you decide to watch it, leave the credits running. There is a piece in there which I wasn't aware of until someone else who watched it told me about it a couple of days later.

6/10

6/10 was fair for this.

Three men and a baby (1987)

Directed by Spock, Three men and a baby get up to various 80s style antics.

Their apartment is absurd. Both in layout and affordability. They have a film room, a games room, a drawing room, a conservatory and a garden area on CPW.

A fantastic movie. The montages are outstanding.

Quite liked Nolan’s Batman films (DKR at the cinema was pretty special, and that’s as someone who liked Batman and Robin in their tights in the tv show, rather than a big action/comic fan). He just strikes me as a dinosaur though. Like the forgotten member of Pink Floyd or Top Gear. 

9 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

Quite liked Nolan’s Batman films (DKR at the cinema was pretty special, and that’s as someone who liked Batman and Robin in their tights in the tv show, rather than a big action/comic fan). He just strikes me as a dinosaur though. Like the forgotten member of Pink Floyd or Top Gear. 

Who? Nolan? His movies are generally pretty hollow but all the bells and whistles make for an entertaining enough cinema experience. The veneration of him is mind numbing though and he's apparently a really weird old Tory.

8 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Who? Nolan? His movies are generally pretty hollow but all the bells and whistles make for an entertaining enough cinema experience. The veneration of him is mind numbing though and he's apparently a really weird old Tory.

Yes, Nolan, not Adam West, strikes me as one of those very blokey public schoolboys. I bet his wife hates him and mainlines gin all day.

I've just gone and watched the first two Bill and Teds in preparation for completing the trilogy. Very much of their time, I mostly remembered why I found them amusing first time around rather than laughing like a loon thirty years (!) later. The "game with Death" scene still cracks me up, mind.

Party on, Dudes!

Station!

I find it impressive that just his name* draws in a big audience - there aren't many directors around who can still do that. Tarantino's supposedly only doing one more film (I don't know if that's still the case now he's given up on Star Trek) and Scorsese and Spielberg are ancient.

*I suppose his CRAAAAZY premises help too.

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I've just gone and watched the first two Bill and Teds in preparation for completing the trilogy. Very much of their time, I mostly remembered why I found them amusing first time around rather than laughing like a loon thirty years (!) later. The "game with Death" scene still cracks me up, mind.

Party on, Dudes!

Station!

So-crates still gets me.

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

I find it impressive that just his name* draws in a big audience - there aren't many directors around who can still do that. Tarantino's supposedly only doing one more film (I don't know if that's still the case now he's given up on Star Trek) and Scorsese and Spielberg are ancient.

*I suppose his CRAAAAZY premises help too.

I liked Interstellar but the effects/plot were secondary to the human story in it. Inception left me cold as it just felt like it was all about him being clever.