What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Watched Thor Ragnarok earlier.

Exceptional film. Very amusing, some emotion and a banging soundtrack.

There's a scene near the end where Scourge, played by Karl Urban, is machine gunning bad guys.

I've been watching season 2 of The Boys (only halfway through, so no spoilers please!) so would love to have seen call Hela's troops 'c***s!'.

26 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

It's remarkably good until

Hide contents

Bryan Cranston's character dies

and there's an immediate drop in quality as you're stuck with the plight of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's boring-ass family that I couldn't muster a single f**k about. But yeah, they definitely took a few lessons from Cloverfield with regard to the big monsters, and it's a decent film overall.

Currently watching Pulp Fiction on TV, which I haven't seen in years. Brilliant film that unfortunately leaves the weakest vignette 'til last, but hey ho. The main thing that occurred to me was that I originally saw it with my mother, and possibly the most awkward five seconds of my life was the space between her asking me what Zed was doing to Marcellus Wallace, and the penny finally dropping.

There's still some great scenes after that. The HALO jump scene in particular is so good.

I'm Thinking Of Ending Things

This is is really good up to a point, with "a powerful sense of dread" making it an incredibly uncomfortable - but very funny - experience. Then it kinda loses its way and Charlie Kaufman becomes very self-indulgent and a bit too clever. But I still liked a few chunks of that last half hour (there's a dancing scene which I thought was really good, if somewhat disconnected from what came before). The first 90 minutes to 2 hours are really terrific though. 

And as much as Lynchian is one of those nonsensical clichés thrown about to describe any film with elements of surrealism in it, there is a strong David Lynch "Twin Peaks" vibe for large parts of the film. Jesse Buckley is really good - as are David Thewlis (an actor who I always forget about but always enjoy watching) and Toni Collette.

On 05/10/2020 at 10:27, coprolite said:

Got round to watching The Taking of Pelham 123 (1974) last night. Really good character led heist romp. Surprisingly funny without being comedic. The pacing was great and there was a beat to the dialogue and editing that married with the jazz funk score and the railway theme. 

Not perfect by any means but great fun and cool.

I can see why Tarantino stole/homaged the names. If you have to choose one version, choose this over the slicker remake. 

8/10

Great theme tune.

9 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's boring-ass family

Can't believe this never clicked with me.

Them being married in this film brings to mind the Ultimates storyline where their brother/sister relationship was... let's go with closer than normal.

3 minutes ago, sfha said:

To Die For.  I'd forgotten how many big name acts were in this!

Always a fan of any film where David Cronenberg shows up in front of the camera.

I had a bit of an 80s action-fest tonight...

Red Dawn

The reds invade the good ole US of A and a bunch of high school kids kick their commie butts. Corny as f**k but entertaining enough...

6/10

Iron Eagle

An American air force pilot is shot down and captured by an unspecified middle eastern country. The pilot's son skives off school for a few days in order to "borrow" a F16 and whoop their backsides. As above, corny as f**k but entertaining enough...

6/10

Hubie Halloween on Netflix.

Please please please don’t watch this. It’s honestly the worst film I’ve ever seen. I mean, the ending could have been great, I didn’t last that long, but I doubt it.

Total shite.

Why do people still even bother trying Happy Madison film? I mean honestly do they even appeal to their core audience of 12 years olds and stoners anymore?

On 11/10/2020 at 21:09, tongue_tied_danny said:

I had a bit of an 80s action-fest tonight...

Red Dawn

The reds invade the good ole US of A and a bunch of high school kids kick their commie butts. Corny as f**k but entertaining enough...

6/10

Iron Eagle

An American air force pilot is shot down and captured by an unspecified middle eastern country. The pilot's son skives off school for a few days in order to "borrow" a F16 and whoop their backsides. As above, corny as f**k but entertaining enough...

6/10

I saw Red Dawn at the cinema back when it came out , I've it seen it in years . There's quite a few  "weel  kent " faces in it . Very much a film of its time I'd say but still pretty watchable  

Hubie Halloween on Netflix.

Please please please don’t watch this. It’s honestly the worst film I’ve ever seen. I mean, the ending could have been great, I didn’t last that long, but I doubt it.

Total shite.
I switched it off after hearing his voice. I guess I should be used to him putting on goofy/simpleton voices but it was too much this time.

Watched Thor: Ragnarok at the weekend. Absolutely outstanding film, 10/10, but I fear that The Boys has ruined Karl Urban for me.

Every time his character spoke I was expecting him to call someone a c**t. "Hey Thor, YOU c**t!". "Yes Hela, c**t!".

I can only imagine what will happen if I watch any of the most recent Star Trek films again.

"Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a miracle worker. You c**t!"

The Happiest Days Of Your Life (1950)

Something of a precursor to the St Trinians films it's total mayhem as an all girls school is amalgamated with an all boys school due to a Ministry of Education blunder. Margaret Rutherford and Alastair Sim in the only film they appeared in together are both great as the respective heads trying to keep the boys and girls apart while some Governors are visiting for an inspection in what they think is an exclusive all boys school and at the same same time some parents of the girls are also on a visit so all signs of the boys have to be hidden. Great fun

7.5/10