What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Promising Young Woman 8/10

Enjoyed this despite it not knowing which genre its supposed to be. Can be classed as a revenge drama but theres some really dark humour in it as well. Revolves around a woman who has a traumatic event earlier in her life and starts taking revenge on those who were involved

The Mauratanian 9/10

Jodie Foster plays a lawyer who is defending a prisoner in Guantanamo Bay. Benedict Cumberbatch plays the american army lawyer on the prosecution. The main character is played by Tahir Rahim who was excellent in the recently released The Serpent. All revolves around the 9/11 attacks and all the innocent people who were sent to GuatMo in the aftermath. Quite a shocking film which shows just how bad things were there with beatings, torture etc. How the yanks got away with this stuff is a disgrace

On 21/03/2021 at 18:23, Mark Connolly said:

The Sixth Sense

Kid hangs out with his psychiatrist. Never found out what was wrong.

The Wizard of Oz (1939)

Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first person she meets and then teams up with three strangers to kill again.

On 22/03/2021 at 18:16, JustOneCornetto said:

Misery (1990)

Been so long since I last watched this that I'd forgoten a lot of the detail although I always remember the scene with Kathy Bates, a sledgehammer and James Cann's legs as it makes me wince even thinking about it. Easy to see why Bates won her Oscar and the film holds your attention as you wonder if Caan will ever get out alive.That final fight scene as well is pretty brutal and is really well done.

8.5/10

Great film and a good book too 

The Hole in the Ground - Irish chiller about a woman who begins to believe that her son has been replaced by a stranger.

Wasn't expecting much from this as the synopsis sounds like a bunch of other films, but the plot didn't quite go where I was expecting, and there's a nice atmosphere and tension throughout. Believable acting from all concerned too, and some really quite eerie shots. I liked it.

I didn't want to include this in my previous edit as this bit of info probably deserves it's own space. The guy that directed The Hole in the Ground, Lee Cronin, his next movie is Evil Dead Rise. Which... yep. New Evil Dead movie. With deadites in a skyscraper.

1922 (2017)

A Stephen King horror with an Edgar Allen Poe 'Tell Tale Heart' feel to it about a farmer who decides to kill his wife, with the help of his teenage son, so that he can keep the land she has inherited. Shortly after the deed is done strange and supernatural things start happening and lots of rats feature in those events.

7/10

AWOL

7/10

Also known as 'Lionheart'. A Jean Claude Van Damme classic in which JCVD plays Leon, a French Foreign Legionnaire who, upon learning of his brother being gravely injured and hospitalised, asks to go to the US to be with him.

The Legion denies him this request, which is a poor decision. He batters a few of them then escapes to a boat that takes him to America. He thinks it docks in LA but it docks in NY. Skint, badly dressed and lost, he stumbles upon a fight under a bridge. After watching the victor get a stack of cash, he volunteers to be in the next fight. Obviously he knocks f**k out of the guy and draws the attention of a homeless dude, who becomes his manager.

The homeless dude is somehow well connected to a dreadful late 80s yuppie woman who is part of a lucrative underground fighting ring.

Leon wins a fight and gets the money to get to LA.

Alas, his brother has perished from his injuries and his brother's wife and daughter are in financial trouble. To support them financially, he must fight!

Some silly stuff but a classic JCVD film that follows the classic formula of some of his best films (i.e. he fights a load of folk in a tournament). Whilst there isn't quite a tournament here, Leon does work his way up the ranks until he faces off against the top fighter, Atilla.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix 

4/10

Boring. So boring. Who were the aliens that were defeated so easily? Why should we care? We shouldn't, and nor should we care a single bit about anything in this film, especially given how little anyone involved cared.

A sad end to a decent series (especially the first two films, which were tremendous).

Watched The Father last night. Decent enough film if a little confusing at times but an outstanding performance bu Anthony Hopkins.  8/10
Watched this last night as well. I'm the same and found it a bit confusing but I think that was the whole point, with the filmmakers wanting you to see it from the old man's perspective with his mind playing tricks on him. Have to agree that Hopkins put in a stellar performance.

12 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

X-Men: Dark Phoenix 

4/10

Boring. So boring. Who were the aliens that were defeated so easily? Why should we care? We shouldn't, and nor should we care a single bit about anything in this film, especially given how little anyone involved cared.

A sad end to a decent series (especially the first two films, which were tremendous).

It was arguably a worse attempt at the Dark Phoenix story than The Last Stand, and it was fucking dreadful. Sophie Turner also has the acting ability of a lamp post

13 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

It was arguably a worse attempt at the Dark Phoenix story than The Last Stand, and it was fucking dreadful. Sophie Turner also has the acting ability of a lamp post

The Last Stand was at least fairly funny at times, even if that mostly unintentional.

Dark Phoenix is just so dull and plodding, with pretty much everyone phoning it in (except the massively wasted Jessica Chastain).

Watched this last night as well. I'm the same and found it a bit confusing but I think that was the whole point, with the filmmakers wanting you to see it from the old man's perspective with his mind playing tricks on him. Have to agree that Hopkins put in a stellar performance.
I read a review somewhere which confirmed it was made that way to make the viewer connect with his condition.

The Nun - another addition to the cash cow series about appalling scam artists and fraudsters Ed & Lorraine Warren. This time out, the "true story" is a flashback origin tale for one of the demons they made up for money.

That was just astonishingly bad. Barely any story, just a load of nuns, a priest, and a random French...sorry, French-Canadian...doofus running around a Romanian abbey. Random stupid things happen. Just a nonsensical mess of hot garbage masquerading as a horror movie. Frankly, I only watched it to depress myself further after the Israel game, but I didn't expect something quite this awful.

Godzilla vs. Kong

Oh yes. First off... the battles. EASILY the best ones so far. Especially the massive climatic one from the title. There's more use of music here, but it's all pretty well done. Found it a little odd at first, but the mood was well set. The humans probably worked like they should. As one big exposition dump to set up whatever's about to happen next with the titans. I'll be going extremely high with this, because it delivered pretty much exactly what I wanted it to deliver, and did so with gusto.

9/10