What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

77. Maxxxine

Weird that I've watched all three films in this trilogy when I wasn't entirely fussed by the first one, but Mia Goth just has such a magnetic screen presence and I like the spunkiness (pun intended) of the character. Think I just about preferred this to the first with the sights and sounds of 80s Hollywood, as well as some landmarks from cinema history, preferable to a rural farmhouse. And despite the expansiveness of LA there's a sense of claustrophobia as the net tightens around Maxine as the film continues. Though it's not a patch on Pearl and Goth's demented performance. There are a lot of flaws with it: it lacks depth, a couple of the kills are disappointingly off-screen and I wasn't entirely enamoured by the killer's reveal. But it's decent fun, even if one scene almost made me shudder out of my skin.

78. In A Violent Nature

I liked this way more than I would've imagined. It was both a hark back to the classic 'slasher' film of old, with the killer a lumbering, powerful menace in the mould of Jason or Leatherface. Yet it always felt quite original to me with the way it was constructed. The camera largely follows the killer and you never see any other character except when they're in the scene. Some of the shots were very cool as well, especially the pan above his head during one kill scene so you're floating above the action. The killer takes his time and so does the movie. It's never frenetic and it helps add to the tension and doesn't at any point become too ridiculous. And the kill scenes? Jesus suffering christ! There's a couple in particular that are going to stick in my head for a long time. I also appreciated how they handled the lore of the movie. There's one expedition dump scene as expected (but it's round a campfire in the dark, so it's naturally a strength – and again, it's very well shot) but as the movie progresses you learn that version of events may not entirely be accurate, and in the end it keeps its mystique. As for the ending itself, I can imagine it'll feel a bit flat for a lot of people, but I liked it. Again, it was something a little different. My favourite horror movie of the year so far.

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice (2024) - Vue

I loved this a lot thought it was true to the style of the original and will definitely want to watch it again when it hits telly land. It helped that I did a rewatch of the first one a few days ago and thought it was good continuity with omissions from the cast for various reasons worked into the plot really well. There's a lot more going on this one and perhaps that's why it doesn't feel as tight as the original but saying that all the new characters played their parts well. Jenna Ortega was perfectly cast as the angsty, sceptical daughter, Monica Bellucci was deliciously vampish as the soul sucker and her first scene as she pieced herself together was brilliant just a pity her part of the story ended rather weakly. Willem Dafoe was his usual crazy self and Justin Theroux was not bad. The use of songs for comic effect was a big part in first film and again Tim Burton gets it spot on here with some great routines.

As an aside I prefer going to the Vue cinema rather than Cineworld, half the price, comfier chair and sound & vision seemed a lot better

On 12/09/2024 at 08:37, CraigFowler said:

78. In A Violent Nature

I liked this way more than I would've imagined. It was both a hark back to the classic 'slasher' film of old, with the killer a lumbering, powerful menace in the mould of Jason or Leatherface. Yet it always felt quite original to me with the way it was constructed. The camera largely follows the killer and you never see any other character except when they're in the scene. Some of the shots were very cool as well, especially the pan above his head during one kill scene so you're floating above the action. The killer takes his time and so does the movie. It's never frenetic and it helps add to the tension and doesn't at any point become too ridiculous. And the kill scenes? Jesus suffering christ! There's a couple in particular that are going to stick in my head for a long time. I also appreciated how they handled the lore of the movie. There's one expedition dump scene as expected (but it's round a campfire in the dark, so it's naturally a strength – and again, it's very well shot) but as the movie progresses you learn that version of events may not entirely be accurate, and in the end it keeps its mystique. As for the ending itself, I can imagine it'll feel a bit flat for a lot of people, but I liked it. Again, it was something a little different. My favourite horror movie of the year so far.

Can't remember if I mentioned it at the time, but I really liked that film. An interesting idea to essentially follow Jason plodding around while the protagonists of a Friday the 13th film are doing whatever we'd normally be focused on. You get to see/hear them in the background doing some of the tropes inherent in these films, and there's a bit of humour that comes from knowing that's what's happening, but we really don't care about any of it. We're just stomping about in the forest with the big man, giving zero shits and waiting for someone to cross our path that needs murdered.

Wouldn't mind seeing it again, thinking about it. I even quite liked the ending, which reminded me a bit of No Country for Old Men, but I can totally see why people would have found it a massive letdown. I'm not sure people who didn't grow up watching slasher flicks would get a lot out of it either. Also really don't think it requires a sequel, but it's getting one and I've been wrong before...

Edit: there's also a bit of the Ride in the Park segment of V/H/S 2, which was a similarly unusual take on the zombie genre.

Edited by BFTD

On 07/09/2024 at 19:21, Scorge said:

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice - not great, not bad, some laughs, but a couple of the bigger set pieces at the end didn't land for me at all. Writers have got round the fact that one of the key characters from the first film can't be in it because he's a wrong 'un quite well.

Just been to see it.

It's f**king dreadful.

I say that as someone who loved the original.

The first 45 minutes are a drag, it vaguely comes to life but the plot (if you can call it that) is just completely disjointed.

The less said about the CGI the better.

Keaton and a seriously underused Catherine O'Hara are the only good things about it - Winona Ryder, in contrast, has an acting ability of A to A.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

On 11/09/2024 at 18:12, Richey Edwards said:

Apparently he only took that job because he needed the money due to getting scammed.

Reminds me of the story that will smith was literally forced to take the fresh prince gig because he owed the taxman shed loads from his days with jazzy jeff and their music 

3 hours ago, JustOneCornetto said:

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice (2024) - Vue

I loved this a lot thought it was true to the style of the original and will definitely want to watch it again when it hits telly land. It helped that I did a rewatch of the first one a few days ago and thought it was good continuity with omissions from the cast for various reasons worked into the plot really well. There's a lot more going on this one and perhaps that's why it doesn't feel as tight as the original but saying that all the new characters played their parts well. Jenna Ortega was perfectly cast as the angsty, sceptical daughter, Monica Bellucci was deliciously vampish as the soul sucker and her first scene as she pieced herself together was brilliant just a pity her part of the story ended rather weakly. Willem Dafoe was his usual crazy self and Justin Theroux was not bad. The use of songs for comic effect was a big part in first film and again Tim Burton gets it spot on here with some great routines.

As an aside I prefer going to the Vue cinema rather than Cineworld, half the price, comfier chair and sound & vision seemed a lot better

I think it really just depends which one you go to - and even then it can depend on the screen. 

I've sworn off going to the Hamilton VUE as the projection quality is consistently abysmal, but the St Enoch one isn't nearly as bad (though can sometimes be a bit dim). 

A couple of my trips to the Silverburn Cineworld last year were ruined by half the screen being out of focus while the other half was perfectly fine - very strange experiences - whereas the screen quality in the Renfrew St one tends to be fine (sound not so much, and it's definitely got the most reprobates in attendance). 

The GFT really does have the best quality and I'm happy paying a bit more for that (just three more weeks of my 16-25 card being valid though...). 

4 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

The GFT really does have the best quality and I'm happy paying a bit more for that (just three more weeks of my 16-25 card being valid though...). 

Agree about GFT always enjoy going there. Suppose it does differ from cinema to cinema, saw Alien:Romulus at Cineworld in Falkirk couple of weeks after release and it was one of the smaller screens but in contrast Beetlejuice Beetlejuice was on bigger screen at Vue in Stirling.

As we're discussing Forth Valley cinemas, the one at the Chalmers nightclub/church in Alloa has shut down permanently. My son was at the last ever showing a week or two back, and only found out because we usually stop to chat to the manager and he said that was it; they're closing down. As he was on his tod that night, my boy has the dubious honour of being the only person present for the cinemas first and last ever showings, both of which were Channing Tatum films.

Brings back horrible memories of when I was a wee boy and all the cinemas were closing to become bingo halls. Bit sad as, if I had the choice, I'd rather have seen a film there than at any of the others in the area  :(

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The first 45 minutes are a drag, it vaguely comes to life but the plot (if you can call it that) is just completely disjointed.

I saw it late at night and don't have a huge affinity for the first one and thought I might doze off, but managed to stay with it quite easily.

the MacArthur Park set piece is utter dog though

Speak No Evil - James McAvoy has a lot of fun with an inconsistent west country accent. It's not as good or tense as the original, but it's pretty good fun when it gets going.

Lee - rather less 'fun' this, but a well told biopic for the most part - the second half is quite a tough watch. The final scene may divide opinion, too. Cast are excellent, Winslet espeically.

Jupiter Ascending (2015) on IPTV

An absolute masterpiece of bad films. Absolutely hilarious and completely unintentionally so. Eddie Redmayne hams it up, Sean Bean somehow gets through his dialogue with a straight face and Mila Kunis and Channing Tatum are wooden and have no chemistry as the main romantic leads.

It's a big budget film and looks amazing but the writing, direction and acting are all atrocious. I had a great time with it.

22 hours ago, BFTD said:

Can't remember if I mentioned it at the time, but I really liked that film. An interesting idea to essentially follow Jason plodding around while the protagonists of a Friday the 13th film are doing whatever we'd normally be focused on. You get to see/hear them in the background doing some of the tropes inherent in these films, and there's a bit of humour that comes from knowing that's what's happening, but we really don't care about any of it. We're just stomping about in the forest with the big man, giving zero shits and waiting for someone to cross our path that needs murdered.

Wouldn't mind seeing it again, thinking about it. I even quite liked the ending, which reminded me a bit of No Country for Old Men, but I can totally see why people would have found it a massive letdown. I'm not sure people who didn't grow up watching slasher flicks would get a lot out of it either. Also really don't think it requires a sequel, but it's getting one and I've been wrong before...

Edit: there's also a bit of the Ride in the Park segment of V/H/S 2, which was a similarly unusual take on the zombie genre.

IAVN-703x395.jpg

IYKYK 😮

46 minutes ago, CraigFowler said:

IAVN-703x395.jpg

IYKYK 😮

What a lovely scene that was, where our antihero meets that nice girl and helps her exercise.

Anyone deciding to see it can relax for a bit.

Palm Springs (2020) on Amazon Prime.

Andy Samberg and Cristin Milioti get stuck in an infinite time loop in this endearingly offbeat romantic comedy. Was randomly scrolling movies to watch and saw this one. I like Samberg and Milioti so decides to give it a chance.

It's weird, funny and surprisingly deep at points. Really enjoyed it, glad I picked it pretty much by chance.

116 Speak No Evil -- We all remember Bogeys, right? From Dick and Dom in da Bungalow? Speak No Evil conjures the spirit of Bogeys, it's The Office meets Funny Games, and the result is an interesting, hugely entertaining, and in places a hilarious comedy of manners. It's also a salient reminder NEVER to meet up with people you met on holiday after you've gone home.

James McAvoy and Aisling Franciosi do their best to test the limits of social norms, and Mackenzie Davis and Scoot McNairy's politeness and reluctance to cause discomfort despite being uncomfortable themselves. It starts by scraping a sun lounger loudly across a poolside in a quiet Italian holiday resort, it moves to McAvoy offering meat to vegetarian Mackenzie Davis and it ends, well, it ends somewhere pretty bleak. The situations get more outlandish and uncomfortable as we go on and if you're a fan of getting angry when characters in horror movies run upstairs instead of out the front door, you're going to have a ball with this. I loved the tension, I loved how it pushed my own internal reactions to these socially awkward moments.

The movie is enormous fun with James McAvoy reveling in such a despicable character, Scoot McNairy being far too passive for anyone's good, and Mackenzie Davis, who didn't want to be in this situation in the first place struggling to make her voice of reason heard. Alix West Lefler and Dan Hough are great as the kids caught up in the madness.

In The Strangers, Liv Tyler's character asks her tormentors why they are doing this. The response is, because you were home. There's a similar moment here that's maybe not quite as effective but it poses a question to the audience of just how much we're willing to take without saying something and, like all good satire, it doesn't take much to draw some dots from that to today's climate.

And in a meta kind of way, it maybe tests the audience's willingness to put up with frustrating character decisions a bit too much but the conclusion is super satisfying and will either make you wary of the Bangles back catalog or make you instantly reach for it on the drive home. 9/10

On 13/09/2024 at 17:46, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Just been to see it.

It's f**king dreadful.

I say that as someone who loved the original.

The less said about the CGI the better.

Keaton and aseriously underused Catherine O'Hara are the only good things about it - Winona Ryder, in contrast, has an acting ability of A to A.

Pretty much echoes what I thought of it. It isn't much more than all the memes and tropes of the first movie cobbled together for the sake of a nostalgia trip. I was bored for the last 20 minutes.

On the subject of Vue cinema chairs - I hate the recliners. They are nowhere near upright enough in the normal position, and the reclined position is like being in a dentists chair. Absolute shite no matter what you do with them.

9 hours ago, MSU said:

116 Speak No Evil -- We all remember Bogeys, right? From Dick and Dom in da Bungalow? Speak No Evil conjures the spirit of Bogeys, it's The Office meets Funny Games, and the result is an interesting, hugely entertaining, and in places a hilarious comedy of manners. It's also a salient reminder NEVER to meet up with people you met on holiday after you've gone home.

James McAvoy and Aisling Franciosi do their best to test the limits of social norms, and Mackenzie Davis and Scoot McNairy's politeness and reluctance to cause discomfort despite being uncomfortable themselves. It starts by scraping a sun lounger loudly across a poolside in a quiet Italian holiday resort, it moves to McAvoy offering meat to vegetarian Mackenzie Davis and it ends, well, it ends somewhere pretty bleak. The situations get more outlandish and uncomfortable as we go on and if you're a fan of getting angry when characters in horror movies run upstairs instead of out the front door, you're going to have a ball with this. I loved the tension, I loved how it pushed my own internal reactions to these socially awkward moments.

The movie is enormous fun with James McAvoy reveling in such a despicable character, Scoot McNairy being far too passive for anyone's good, and Mackenzie Davis, who didn't want to be in this situation in the first place struggling to make her voice of reason heard. Alix West Lefler and Dan Hough are great as the kids caught up in the madness.

In The Strangers, Liv Tyler's character asks her tormentors why they are doing this. The response is, because you were home. There's a similar moment here that's maybe not quite as effective but it poses a question to the audience of just how much we're willing to take without saying something and, like all good satire, it doesn't take much to draw some dots from that to today's climate.

And in a meta kind of way, it maybe tests the audience's willingness to put up with frustrating character decisions a bit too much but the conclusion is super satisfying and will either make you wary of the Bangles back catalog or make you instantly reach for it on the drive home. 9/10

Going to see this this afternoon and can't wait now based on that review!

15 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Palm Springs (2020) on Amazon Prime.

Andy Samberg and Cristin Milioti get stuck in an infinite time loop in this endearingly offbeat romantic comedy. Was randomly scrolling movies to watch and saw this one. I like Samberg and Milioti so decides to give it a chance.

It's weird, funny and surprisingly deep at points. Really enjoyed it, glad I picked it pretty much by chance.

Love that movie. Watched it at least half-a-dozen times.