What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

A Time to Kill

A good enough film with a stellar cast, not a patch on Missippissi's Burning though which i felt handled the racist tension in the deep south miles better.

The 2nd best Grisham adaptation after The Rainmaker.

6/10

I quite liked Runaway Jury, the worst is obviously Christmas with the Kranks. Now that was shite, although the words "starring Tim Allen" usually imply this!

X-Men: First Class (2011)

Begosh and begorrah, oi prefer Magneto!

By far the best of the X-Men films and really could have been the only one if they'd started here as it sums up the characters perfectly.

10/10

Went to see The Rum Diary tonight. Not particularly a film I'd have went out my way to see, and I hadn't actually heard of it til today when a few mates said they were going.

Fully expected it to be complete shite but I needed out the house so went along. Certainly not an outstanding film, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. Johnny Depp really is incredible and there were more than a few 'laugh out loud' moments in it.

6/10

Went to see The Rum Diary tonight. Not particularly a film I'd have went out my way to see, and I hadn't actually heard of it til today when a few mates said they were going.

Fully expected it to be complete shite but I needed out the house so went along. Certainly not an outstanding film, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. Johnny Depp really is incredible and there were more than a few 'laugh out loud' moments in it.

6/10

I definitely want to see this. The novel's pretty good too, but I gather the film is a fairly radical departure.

Downloaded Wings of Desire by Wim Wenders last night. A story of two guardian angels who roam Berlin, listening to people's thoughts and helping them prepare for death. One of the angels falls in love with an acrobat. And that's pretty much all that happens, apart from Peter Falk turning up in Berlin to film a movie. He can see one of the angels, and mistakes him for an extra. It's black and white, rains all the time, flicks between German and English for no apparent reason, unbelievably slow-paced and contains very little actual dialogue. It's also one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen, I'm almost in tears thinking about it. A work of genuine genius. 10/10

One Day

Read the book about a year ago so I've been looking forward to seeing this. It didn't disappoint. Anne Hathaway's northern accent was actually alot better than I thought it would be. Thabkfully the film stayed true to the book and although some parts are missed out it didn't wander far away from the original story. I really enjoyed the book and I really enjoyed the film.

8/10

Went to see The Help. Suspected it might be over sentimental nonsense but it was actually a very good film with some great performances. A good insight into the USA at the time of the civil rights movement especially the unreconstructed South. Worth going to see if only for the scene involving a chocolate pie.

7/10

The Rum Diary

A little disappointed by this one, was really looking forward to some Fear And Loathing-esque zany psychotic adventure comedy, and although there are some elements of this, it's diluted by a lot of crowd-pleasing dross. A lot of the comic set pieces were a bit all over the place and I thought the serious, dramatic moments were poorly done. The acting is the saving grace, as well as the cool-as-you-like costume and set design.

Laugh-out-loud funny and edge-of-seat excitement though, it is style over substance but not an awful lot of either.

6/10

What Doesn't Kill You - 2008

Crime film written by Donnie Whalberg which didn't get any real marketing because the distributor went bankrupt. Tells the story of a couple of Boston Irish gangsters growing up and making various life decisions which all lead to the dilemma of whether to rob an armoured security truck (not a spoiler btw, the lead up to the robbery is in the first scene). A standard premise, but a really captivating film in my opinion. Completely un-Hollywood; Its about half an hour too long, not all the storylines are resolved and it doesn't glorify crime (quite the opposite) but it's a better film for all of that in my opinion. Great cast, realistic feel and really atmospheric but certainly not for everyone.

Quite a poorly directed and obvious ending stopped it getting at 8/9 for me.

7.5/10

Boyz in the hood. 8/10 not seen it for years forgot Cuba gooding jnr was in it also bonus points for having a character called furious styles.

Dog soldiers 6/10 pish but entertaing in a way.

Dog Soldiers is an exceptional film! Spoon is a cracking character. :)

Oldboy

I've seen this before but couldn't remember much of the twists. It started to come back together once the main character starts to piece it together. Final twist is amazing.

Not usually a fan of foreign films but this one got me. Guess if there's enough action then it makes up for it(Battle Royale anyone?)

9/10

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

Hell, what a dreadful film, no... in fact it was so fucking trite I'm going to call it a "movie".

The mark is based on the first hour or so which has pulled it out of the depths of hell, to anything approaching the halls of Valhalla. Odin would be embarrassed by this garbage!

Fuck, the Americans could make a film about the Madeleine McCann story and have her wake up after a dream sequence to "It's a Small World After All".

3/10

penance

1/10

waste of an evening

Tony Todd is in that, that is worth an extra mark. Okay he's only a chaffeur, but he's a legend!

However, I see it has Jason Connery in it, so take off three points. :eek:

Oldboy

I've seen this before but couldn't remember much of the twists. It started to come back together once the main character starts to piece it together. Final twist is amazing.

Not usually a fan of foreign films but this one got me. Guess if there's enough action then it makes up for it(Battle Royale anyone?)

9/10

Here's my wee list of the best entertaining foreign language films to try...

13: Game of Death (Thai)

The Vengeance Trilogy (you've seen Oldboy obviously, check out Lady Vengeance and Sympathy for Mr Vengeance) (Korean)

Hansel & Gretel (Korean)

The City of Violence (Korean)

Pan's Labyrinth (Spanish)

[Rec] (Spanish)

Martyrs (French)

Trollhunter (Norwegian)

Dead Snow (Norwegian)

Let the Right One In (Swedish)

Solaris (Russian)

Night Watch/Day Watch (Russian) - Glad to see no further signs of the Hollywood third part (Twilight Watch, that title may hopefully be enough to stop it being made) of this series! :D Maybe Summit Entertainment can do something useful by using brand copyrights or some shit to stop this happening! :lol:

Edited by SaltyTON

Here's my wee list of the best entertaining foreign language films to try...

13: Game of Death (Thai)

The Vengeance Trilogy (you've seen Oldboy obviously, check out Lady Vengeance and Sympathy for Mr Vengeance) (Korean)

Hansel & Gretel (Korean)

The City of Violence (Korean)

Pan's Labyrinth (Spanish)

[Rec] (Spanish)

Martyrs (French)

Trollhunter (Norwegian)

Dead Snow (Norwegian)

Let the Right One In (Swedish)

Solaris (Russian)

Night Watch/Day Watch (Russian) - Glad to see no further signs of the Hollywood third part (Twilight Watch, that title may hopefully be enough to stop it being made) of this series! :D Maybe Summit Entertainment can do something useful by using brand copyrights or some shit to stop this happening! :lol:

I've zeen Let The Right One In(remake if that's what you mean, or is that German?) and Pan's Labyrinth from that list.

Can't think of many other foreign films I've bothered with. The Orphanage is the only one that comes to mind, we watched it over two end of term Spanish lessons in S5, was pretty funny as me and my friend took the piss and were screaming at the scary bits etc. Teacher wasn't pleased ph34r.gif

I've zeen Let The Right One In(remake if that's what you mean, or is that German?) and Pan's Labyrinth from that list.

Can't think of many other foreign films I've bothered with. The Orphanage is the only one that comes to mind, we watched it over two end of term Spanish lessons in S5, was pretty funny as me and my friend took the piss and were screaming at the scary bits etc. Teacher wasn't pleased ph34r.gif

Martyrs is brilliant watch that! I also recently saw a dutch horror called "Saint" it's worth a watch I'd say. It's well done and funny as f**k! Basically about Saint Nicholas (santa) killing folk.