What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Apollo 18 (2011)

One of these tedious "recovered footage" nonsense films, about a secret mission to the moon to find alien life (without telling the astronauts).

The acting was passable I suppose, but the only real positives were that it concluded which is unusual for this kind of film AND that there was no sign of Taylor Lautner which can only be a positive.

2/10

I quite enjoyed it, but the ending made no sense;

How did the footage get back to Earth if all the space crafts were destroyed?

I quite enjoyed it, but the ending made no sense;

How did the footage get back to Earth if all the space crafts were destroyed?

Yeah, that was the least of my issues with it...

Stake Land (2010)

Imagine 28 Days Later, but set in Hicksville USA, and with vampires instead of zombies. Well that's what you've got here... but with Danielle Harris. :wub:

A kid called Martin, an older guy called Mister, a pregnant Belle (Harris), a Sister (Kelly McGillis) and a black guy called Willie [playing the tough army guy but you know he'll be collateral damage card] head for Canada to avoid a plague of vampires. Oh, and did I mention the crazy Christian cult? There's always a religious nutjob trying to f**k you over at the most inopportune time, isn't there?

And for some reason Kevin Cline has forgotten that Oscar he got for "A Fish called Wanda" and is now taking such big parts as "Townsfolk" in "Stake Land"...

Really fun film, although probably getting an extra mark as Jamie Lloyd is in it...

8/10

Yeah, that was the least of my issues with it...

Stake Land (2010)

Imagine 28 Days Later, but set in Hicksville USA, and with vampires instead of zombies. Well that's what you've got here... but with Danielle Harris. :wub:

A kid called Martin, an older guy called Mister, a pregnant Belle (Harris), a Sister (Kelly McGillis) and a black guy called Willie [playing the tough army guy but you know he'll be collateral damage card] head for Canada to avoid a plague of vampires. Oh, and did I mention the crazy Christian cult? There's always a religious nutjob trying to f**k you over at the most inopportune time, isn't there?

And for some reason Kevin Cline has forgotten that Oscar he got for "A Fish called Wanda" and is now taking such big parts as "Townsfolk" in "Stake Land"...

Really fun film, although probably getting an extra mark as Jamie Lloyd is in it...

8/10

Downloaded and watched on the back of this, nowt special. Never mind Cline, what about McGillis old and haggard :blink:.

4/10

Edit to say at the same age Mcgillis pissed all over Harris lookswise ;)

Edited by wunfellaff

Holiday film fest:

Blood Diamond

Very enjoyable film from start to finish that kept me interested throughout. Di Caprio is good as always.

7/10

Black Hawk Down

Love it. I've seen it before but I still feel sucked in by the plot that I almost forget what's going to happen.

9/10

The Hangover

Again I've seen it before and while it was decent enough it was never close to being as good as the hype suggested. Alan aside its pretty mundane and even he becomes a bit dull.

5/10

The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons were also watched and due to having read the book they never meet expectations. Still a 7/8.

Inception or The Prestige next...

The Usual Suspect

Pish

3/10

I think you guys are giving this fella too much of a hard time. The Usual Suspects is indeed a classic, but I think lau here is referring to its anti-climactic prequel, starring Stephen Baldwin being accused of a crime and subsequently being released without charges. I agree, 3/10.

Up in The Air

This was one of these films where you can't quite work out if you're really enjoying it or if you think it's shite. George Clooney plays the lead role in a typical hardened cynic v family man romantic tale. It struck me watching it that the lonely, depressing, big business story seemed much more realistic and authentic than the soft-focus luvvy duvvy alternative. By the time the film had finished I realised this was probably the point, so guess it was well done.

7/10

Edited by SodjesSixteenIncher

The Hangover Part II (2011)

I actually loved this, these aren't the sorts of films I normally like but Alan is just hilarious!

The use of Billy Joel songs were perfect, especially singing Allentown whilst on the river. Great change of the lyrics... done that myself and almost all situations fit into that tune!

8/10 - and just remember "when a monkey nibbles on a penis, it's funny in any language"!

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Swedish version)

I watched this the other week and despite not having read the book, I could tell there were a few things missing from the storyline. Although I suppose that's to be expected when a book is condensed into a film. That aside, the storyline was intriguing, if a little dark at times.

It'll be interesting to see how they've done the new version with Daniel Craig. And in particular, to see if they include the rape scenes which are pretty graphic in the original. (And was slightly awkward as I was watching it with my girlfriends parents and she had already gone to bed.)

8/10

Warrior (2011)

Yeah, that's got the Oscar wrapped up. Did everything right, and managed to put more emotion into it than The Fighter. Nolte was superb as the alcoholic father, and both brothers played their parts brilliantly.

The only disappointment was the lack of closure on Tommy's story, but I don't suppose it hindered it that much.

10/10

Watched Drive with Ryan Gosling the other night. Good take on the anti hero with no name and the soundtrack fits very well. Best movie I've seen in a wee while.

Also watched Ravenous last night on the Horror channel. Hadn't seen it for years and it wasn't as bad as I what I remembered. Cracking cast.

No Country For Old Men

Every time I watch this film it just more and more solidifies its status as one of the latest masterpieces in film. It's slick and clever and superlatively atmospheric, with some awesome cinematography and a first-rate dramatic screenplay with classic Coen quirks and humour built-in, delivered by one of their finest-assembled casts (unarguably one of Javier Bardem's greatest performances). It's minimalistic in that nothing is in there that isn't for a reason; that might bore some people but I can't see how, for me it's just genius.

As close as you'll get to perfection.

10/10

Warrior (2011)

Yeah, that's got the Oscar wrapped up. Did everything right, and managed to put more emotion into it than The Fighter. Nolte was superb as the alcoholic father, and both brothers played their parts brilliantly.

The only disappointment was the lack of closure on Tommy's story, but I don't suppose it hindered it that much.

10/10

Was just coming on to ask if anyone had seen this (and Moneyball) as I just got them yesterday. Will need to get it watched now.

So, anyone seen Moneyball?

The Tunnel ( 2011 )

Mockumentary about journalists who go into the old rail tunnels of an Australian city to investigate the disappearances of some homeless people. I'm a fan of these types of movie and this one ticked the boxes. Good use of the light and dark in the movie was a real strong point, as was the sense that something could always happen. Used the usual cliches well enough too.

8/10

It'll be interesting to see how they've done the new version with Daniel

Craig. And in particular, to see if they include the rape scenes which are

pretty graphic in the original.

Going by what Daniel Craig said about some of the movie being pretty disturbing, I'd wager that it's there.

So, anyone seen Moneyball?

Moneyball's excellent. Really intelligent and plot flows nicely, largely down to screenplay heavyweights Sorkin and Zaillian who never disappoint. Brad Pitt doesn't disappoint any more either, a very strong leading performance.

Maybe a bit substance over style and a bit too much wannabe-cute sentiment but it is very cool and very well done.

8/10