What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Iron Man 3 - 7.5/10. I thought the story was a little poor and there were a few plot elements I felt weren't explained very well. The action was unbelievable though and Gwyneth Paltrow was looking absolutely smashable at the end.

Contact (1997) 7/10

While technically not the last film i watched, as I'm watching it right now. This is a film I utterly hated the first time I seen it, even as a kid I thought it was rubbish. But a few years back i ended up seeing it again, and now I really like it. While I agree the billionaire just happening to build a second device is utter shite, that and bloody Matthew Mcwhatevers character are the only poor points. I really enjoy them finding the signal, understanding it, piecing it all together then making the device, and a brilliant wee turn by the greatly underrated Jake Busy as the sinister preacher turned suicide bomber.

Edited by EdgarusQPFC

Bridesmaids is a terrific film with some witty writing and great performances. It rightly deserved the acclaim it received.

I loved that movie. It's certainly the best comedy I've seen at the cinema.

Bedtime Stories ( 2008 )

Predictable and a bit on the immature side, this movie is still an enjoyable watch. The concept helps it along, and Guy Pearce in 100% ham mode is wonderful. I still think Sandler is very good at what he does, and this is another fine example of that. He manages to make a fairly selfish and horrible person halfway likeable.

6/10

Season of the Witch. A bit meh

The movies of Nicolas Cage far surpass the level of generic film. It isnt widely known, but Nicolas Cage has never used a script. Arguably he isnt even an actor. Cameras merely follow him around in his everyday life and records whatever happens.
He has truly lived a magnificent life, Stealing the Declaration of Independence (and the hearts of millions around the World), Destroying the wickedness of Jon Travolta, creating the drink we know as Mountain Dew, and so on.

Moneyball

Being a Baseball fan I really enjoyed this movie which is a true story based on the Oakland Athletics season of 2002. Thought both Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill were superb

9/10

Edited by lichtie23

Watched the Jack Reacher film for the first time the other night. I'm a massive fan of the books, and 'One Shot' that this was based on is one of my favourite ones.

Of course, the main controversy is midget man Tom Cruise playing the part of 6 foot 5 powerhouse Jack Reacher himself. An awful piece of casting really, but in fairness, Cruise actually does a half decent job of it - much better than I expected.

As for the film itself, the plot follows the book's plot pretty closely, and zips along at a reasonable pace. The introduction of Robert Duvall later in the film is a bit of a godsend though, as Cruise aside, the other actors and actresses bring absolutely nothing to the other characters, and let the film down badly.

Reasonable then, nowhere near as good as the book, but nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be.

5/10

Star Trek Into Darkness - this has been getting some good reviews. But like Avengers Assemble and other films cut from the same cloth that "reboot" a franchise, I don't know why. This is pretty crap. The plotting is proper join-the-dot shite that a six year old would blush at. There is no-one likeable about the "good guys" - Kirk's an arrogant douche, Spock hilariously has no emotions and what not (until the narrative demands he does!!!), Uhuru is simpering her arse off, Chekhov does his Aleksander the Meerkat impression and Alice Evei s in to not act (because she can't) but to strip down to her undies. Cumberbatch doesn't have to try hard to be better than these chumps. I got bored watching the first in the series, but it couldn't have been worse, but there's no surprises, it plods long exactly as you imagine for about two and a half hours. Pure toss.

4/10

Watched the Jack Reacher film for the first time the other night. I'm a massive fan of the books, and 'One Shot' that this was based on is one of my favourite ones.

Of course, the main controversy is midget man Tom Cruise playing the part of 6 foot 5 powerhouse Jack Reacher himself. An awful piece of casting really, but in fairness, Cruise actually does a half decent job of it - much better than I expected.

As for the film itself, the plot follows the book's plot pretty closely, and zips along at a reasonable pace. The introduction of Robert Duvall later in the film is a bit of a godsend though, as Cruise aside, the other actors and actresses bring absolutely nothing to the other characters, and let the film down badly.

Reasonable then, nowhere near as good as the book, but nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be.

5/10

I thought Jai Courtney had a good vibe about him as Charlie. You're right on the most part though.

Apocalypse Now - 5/10.

I must say firstly that I watched the REDUX extended version with an extra 50 mins of footage so it was 3 hours 15 mins instead of 2 hours 25 mins. And looking at the reviews many seem to say that the scenes added just really draw out the film and somewhat ruin it. But I really didn't see what the hype was all about with this. It was slow, painfully slow. And I kept expecting something to happen that really made it live up to the hype. The last 30-45 mins with Sheen and Brando were decent and it did give a gritty look into some aspects of war but I that it was okay, and nothing more. Bang average.

Edited by Honest_Man#1

Contact (1997) 7/10

While technically not the last film i watched, as I'm watching it right now. This is a film I utterly hated the first time I seen it, even as a kid I thought it was rubbish. But a few years back i ended up seeing it again, and now I really like it. While I agree the billionaire just happening to build a second device is utter shite, that and bloody Matthew Mcwhatevers character are the only poor points. I really enjoy them finding the signal, understanding it, piecing it all together then making the device, and a brilliant wee turn by the greatly underrated Jake Busy as the sinister preacher turned suicide bomber.

I once read that the machine that transports Jodie Foster's character through time and space was James Cameron's original design for the machine to send Kyle Reese back in time in The Terminator, but it was cut from The Terminator due to budget / technical restraints.