What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I'm currently reading World War Z and can't imagine how they could do the book justice (so far, circa 130 pages in). I assumed they just took the name and used that for a standard zombie flick.

I'll need to check it out after I've finished reading it.

It's very close to being this. It's something of an episodic structure to the film and the different locations, which relates it to the book, as far as I can see. I think they had grand plans to adapt the book, but lacked the scope or invention to pull it off.

Aye, I would recommend the film, but only in the knowledge that the film should probably be watched on its own right and not necessarily as an adaptation. If it comes down to doing justice to the book, then it would fall on its face. I did enjoy the film on the basis that I was deliberately not trying to contrast it to the book as I had been forewarned.

I rated World War Z on the basis that I'm a sucker for pop-corn, bigger-budget, fun horror or sci-fi films, and I love zombie films.

I think they had grand plans to adapt the book, but lacked the scope or invention to pull it off.

Assuming the book stays the same then I don't see it ever being adapted faithfully in the big studios. (minor spoilers on the book, World War Z, more about the format than anything since I'm only like 115/300 pages through)

The only character that stays in it for any length of time is the interviewer/narrator but he barely talks in it. It'd have to be flashbacks so you're seeing what the various people are describing in their interviews but that means that the scenes would be jumping around like crazy and would be a bit too disjointed for a film.

You're also not going to have a big name movie star involved for long enough, so a lot of major movie studios wouldn't give it the budget it deserved.

Assuming the book stays the same then I don't see it ever being adapted faithfully in the big studios. (minor spoilers on the book, World War Z, more about the format than anything since I'm only like 115/300 pages through)

Aye. I think, though, they thought they would try to re-jig the narrator/interviewer role with Brad Pitt as the central actor being involved in different countries' struggles to try to form an overarching narrative for the film. This part of the film didn't really work for me and the story started to lag about halfway through, but I enjoyed some of the zombie action scenes. The re-shoot of the final 1/3 brings the film back from the edge of running out of steam.

I'm not sure where you are in the book so I won't mention any specifics, but I could imagine a couple of the stories being tied together better for sequels. I think this was the logic behind Brad Pitt's company buying the rights to the book as there are so many great ideas that could be adapted.

Watched a Bosnian Serb movie called Neprijatelj on youtube yesterday. Usually quite keen on the cinema of the former Yugoslavia having been introduced to it by a former girlfriend many years ago (if you have a smattering of Serbo-Croat watching how the English language subtitles tone down what they are really saying can be quite amusing) but this one was complete mince and involves a mysterious character who may or may not be Satan and who may or may not be talking Bosnian Serb and Muslim soldiers into murdering each other in bizarre ways shortly after the end of the war there. If it was an anti-war statement much better ones have already been made in that part of the world with characters that are much easier to empathise with. Lepa sela lepo gore probably being the best one in that regard.

The only character that stays in it for any length of time is the interviewer/narrator but he barely talks in it. It'd have to be flashbacks so you're seeing what the various people are describing in their interviews but that means that the scenes would be jumping around like crazy and would be a bit too disjointed for a film.

You're also not going to have a big name movie star involved for long enough, so a lot of major movie studios wouldn't give it the budget it deserved.

Said on another thread , the book is just made to be put on a tv series , although it would be quite similar to The Walking Dead , the international feel to the chapters might save it.

I just want to see the battle of Yonkers done well.

Edited by saint dave

Said on another thread , the book is just made to be put on a tv series , although it would be quite similar to The Walking Dead , the international feel to the chapters might save it.

I just want to see the battle of Yonkers done well.

Oh aye. It would be a cracking TV series come to think of it. The only thing would be the budget would need to be pretty huge to do justice, as you say, to key sections in the book.

I've only got one show left to watch in Season 3 of Walking Dead box-set. That's my entertainment for tonight.

The section about the Chinese Navy submarine wouldn't be too expensive all in on second thoughts. Plus, the section on North Korea still creeps me out, that could be a whole TV series in its own right, trying to figure out what happened -- that would be a pretty cool show.

Watched Hunger Games last night and thought it was pretty decent. Some things weren't explained very well but I would give it a 7/10

Think there may be explanations as it goes through the series.

Really looking forward to Catching Fire - it's totally different to the first book, so I'm quite hopeful for the film, especially with the goddess that is Jennifer Lawrence in it!

Same. A dreadfully disappointing film. Let's see if we can break the world record for saying "nigger" in a film while wasting some good actors in an uninteresting revenge film. It lacks everything that makes Tarantino films enjoyable.

The violence was pretty cool to start with but that just got old as well.

The first film has a scene where machete pulls a guys intestines out, jumps out of the window and swings through the window downstairs like Tarzan holding someone's large intestine.

You seriously didn't think machete kills would be anything other than a comedy?

:lol:

Hahahahahahahahaha so funny mate.

The name Machete Kills certainly screams out sequel. How foolish of me.