What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I thought that The Desolation of Smaug was pretty poor - there is a lot of intrusive, ominous music and a lot of people acting uber-serious all of the time and (as in the first one) it lurches from action sequence to argument to another action sequence, abandoning all of the wit and charm of the novel (or indeed the LOTR films). I don't know if they think that Thorin, Beorn, Bard, Legolas, etc acting like miserable p***ks all of the time will create gravitas or makes us care about the quest, which is obviously nowhere near as significant as the one in LOTR, but it doesn't work. The endless physics-defying action sequences which are totally bereft of tension achieve boredom, as opposed to excitement. A bit more time spent on characterization would be nice. Martin Freeman, Stephen Fry and Smaug are decent, although the final scene with Smaug was pretty stupid and unnecessary and the film doesn't really resolve anything at all in its (overlong) 2 hours and 40 minutes. 4/10

I was pleasantly surprised by Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa. Although it wasn't laugh-a-minute, Alan wasn't quite s-a-d enough and Michael and Lynn were underused I probably enjoyed this a lot more than most film comedies I have seen in recent years, with some genuinely funny one-liners and a couple of really hilarious sequences. 7/10.

Edited by The OP

Mandela.

Fantastic film. I have a great interest in the life of Mandela so have been looking forward to this for some time, and they have really put together a great film. Its very balanced, it doesn't shy away from the ANC violence, or Mandela's adulterous behaviour and it isn't as cheesy as it potentially could have been. Idris Elba is a superb actor and puts on a great performance, as do the rest of the cast. The film looks great too.

8/10

12 Years a Slave - 7/10

Was expecting a bit more, and felt a bit long in places but overall pretty decent. A couple of excellent performances and I suspect Fassbender will get a supporting nomination for this.

Don't get your hopes up for all the other 'star' people advertised, most are just cameos. Main cast is solid and worth a watch but would struggle to make my top 20 of the year (2013)

American Hustle - Really enjoyed this, loads of great moments but it maybe didnt quite come together as a whole. 8/10

Last Vegas - enjoyed this too, nothing new but was funny in places with a little bit of genuine pathos. 7/10

Sightseers.

Heard good things and wasn't quite sure what to expect but it was a very good film. Made me laugh alot which I certainly didn't expect. Alot more bizarre than I expected and I imagine the dialogue/feel isn't to everyone's tastes but certainly recommend. 8/10.

Drive

Second time I've seen the film. I throughly enjoyed it again, I enjoyed watching the relationship develop between Ryan Gosling's character and Carey Mulligan's character.

10/10

I enjoyed it a lot more second time around. My main criticism of it would be the way it's marketed; the description and trailer made it seem like it would be more of an action film than it was. I spent the entire first viewing waiting for the car chases/shootouts/whatever to start and ended up feeling pretty disappointed when none of that materialised. Once you know what to expect and can enjoy it for what it is though it's an excellent film.

Despicable Me 2 is the funniest film I watched in 2013. I bought it on DVD and have no children to blame it on.

Yes. Despicable Me 2 is also much better than Despicable Me.

I took the weans to see: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire on Wednesday.

Very disappointed. I liked the first film but this one was incomplete.

Saving Mr Banks

A bit flashback crazy, but an ok film nonetheless. Very well acted and perfectly cast. I never even realised Jason Schwartzman was in it until the end.

The premise was good, and you can see the links to Mary Poppins throughout the film, but it was pretty slow in parts and a bit, well, boring at times.

6/10