Walking Down The Halbeath Road

3 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

There’s an interview on YouTube with McPake saying he has known for a while what next season’s budget will be and what the targets are (avoid relegation). Liked what he said about Wighton too, that getting him a proper pre-season could mean we see the very best of him.

Sounds interesting, where about is that? 

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Sounds interesting, where about is that? 

Yeah, sorry I couldn’t bring myself to post a link. Felt a bit grubby watching it. Lots of “Dunfermline should never be in League One” chat from the pundits.

52 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Yeah, sorry I couldn’t bring myself to post a link. Felt a bit grubby watching it. Lots of “Dunfermline should never be in League One” chat from the pundits.

Aye, mcpake tried to shut that chat up but just had to give up and roll his eyes.

2 hours ago, VinnyPar said:

One thing I really liked about the PLZ interview was McPake conceding that we need to strengthen in the forward areas. I think it's increasingly likely O'Hara and Todorov will be away at the end of their deals.

Yeah, we will need way better than them two if we are serious about trying to put a challenge in. McPake says we need a 20+ goals scorer. Best of luck with that, James. Getting a Kevin Nisbet ever again  at that level will be extremely difficult. 

I’m happy with Wighton, but we’ll need another proven goalscorer. We’d be daft not to be keeping tabs on Ruari Paton and Calum Gallagher as economically sound options. 

Very exciting pre season ahead. Really buzzing to see who we strengthen the squad with and who the new kit-makers will be as well. 

Another pre season for McCann...the boys going to step up, 20+ goals easy. Wighton chipping in with 15+, Matty Todd 37 goals....champs by March. 

Edited by Stoo61

Aye, this pre-season will be the most exciting we’ve had for a while. Not because I’m expecting anything in particular, it’s just nice to have a good atmosphere around the club again, with a realistically ambitious manager who has a clear vision for the squad. 

On 18/04/2023 at 07:08, CallumPar said:

Will be a return to the back 3/5 I’d imagine. Bene in the middle of a 3 with 2 of Fisher/Breen/Murray would be fine in the championship. Even in a 4, he’d probably be ok most weeks with a more mobile partner - particularly if opponents play with 1 striker. Also got mobility of Comrie (or a new RB) and Edwards at full back and Hamilton protecting the defence.

We need to strengthen the team, everyone knows that. But Benedictus will be a starter most weeks, unless he really struggles.

That’s the key, right there. We had him partnered with Davo, and the pair of them were both susceptible to being caught out without having makeup speed. Add that Davo turned like a battleship, while Bene is a bit more cruiser-like, and we saw a decent amount of whoopsie moments. Honestly, glad to hear Bene is doing well, he’s a tremendous guy who got the shaft late last season when they sent him out to back you know who, just before the club did a 180.

On 19/04/2023 at 11:23, Lichtie78 said:

Don't think this is a thing in Scotland. You just get X amount of medals and then can buy additional ones to dish out as you see fit.

Certainly didnt used to be. You got 20 medals to dole out as you see fit and could buy more if desired. We havent won a title since 2013 though when it was still SFL. Not certain if change of league or number of players involved in games have changed things. There are much bigger squads now for instance than there were 10 years ago.

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Certainly didnt used to be. You got 20 medals to dole out as you see fit and could buy more if desired. We havent won a title since 2013 though when it was still SFL. Not certain if change of league or number of players involved in games have changed things. There are much bigger squads now for instance than there were 10 years ago.

According to Wikipedia we have only used exactly 20 players in this league campaign so looks like rightly so everyone will get one.

10 hours ago, TxRover said:

That’s the key, right there. We had him partnered with Davo, and the pair of them were both susceptible to being caught out without having makeup speed. Add that Davo turned like a battleship, while Bene is a bit more cruiser-like, and we saw a decent amount of whoopsie moments. Honestly, glad to hear Bene is doing well, he’s a tremendous guy who got the shaft late last season when they sent him out to back you know who, just before the club did a 180.

Honestly, he’s been fantastic and he’s very popular with everyone at the club - staff, teammates and fans.

He’s a natural leader and has improved those around him. Our other CBs are mobile, which has taken a bit of pressure off him. The mobile players at this level also aren’t as intelligent as the ones in the championship, so he’s dealt with those that he’s had to. Despite my concerns about his fitness, he’s played every minute of the league campaign where we have set defensive records. We’ve changed our shape and personnel in defence regularly, but he’s been the one constant, so he’s been an exceptional signing for us.

In addition to what he adds on the park, he’s been great with the fans. He may have done similar at Rovers(?), but he’s given his armband away to a young kid after every game and you can see how much that means to them. Little things like that go a long way. He also leads the team to applaud the fans after every game, regardless of the result.

Could see what last week meant to him in his interview with the courier. Spoke about how disappointing it was when Raith couldn’t celebrate/finish the season cause of covid, when they won the league. I’d imagine he’s the kind of guy that’s popular at any club he plays at, because he wears his heart on his sleeve and gives his all - also tells other players when they need to up their game and praises them when they do well. Not to mention the fact he really seems to wind up the Falkirk fans, which is always nice!