Walking Down The Halbeath Road

9 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Sorry for intruding guys, but I was told something very surprising about the Pars’ board’s backing for James McPake. Is it true they’ve told him they’re not bothered where they finish in the league this season as they’r committed to building a footballing side who play out from the back? If so I’m assuming they mean as long as they stay in the division!

I think whoever you heard this off then it may have been misinterpreted or misheard something said by the Board or McPake himself.. The Board will have set at least a minimum expectation of staying in this league. McPake did say publicly it was his aim to stay in this league. The Board have said they're committed to building for the future by way of an academy, and that's happening. 

16 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

I'm supportive of the manager as well, I think if we had the injured players on the park or even half of them we'd not be anywhere near this mess. Not challenging for the title but mid table, picking up points here and there.

Maybe it’s just the black and white glasses but I’d say we’d be closer to the top than you think. We had one of our crocked defenders back at Tannadice and we held one of the title contenders to 0-0 on their home turf. Of course they had chances and we were lucky not to concede, then some brilliant goal keeping kept them out, but the fact remains 0-0 with one defender back which IMO changed the whole composure of the team. We lose that defender and we start losing games. 
It baffles me why McPake doesn’t change the setup, but I think if he had more of his best defensive lineup we’d be far higher than mid table, because I don’t think the rest of the team would be sitting so deep. 
I keep getting mixed feelings about Chalmers too, he does seem to pass sideways and backwards more often than not, but he’s everywhere on the park trying to dig the others out. His best games come when he can play the middle without having to drop back to help in defence. When he can stay more in the middle we have more of an outlet getting our forwards higher up the pitch, as we seen at Tannadice. 
I don’t have to tell you guys, that in itself slows attacks on our goal. This of course is only my opinion, but I can’t be alone in thinking this. I don’t see McPake getting the bullet anytime soon, but who really knows? 

Makes sense for Kane to join Dunfermline over us if that was the case. He’s not getting ahead of Paton and at his stage of his career, I’d imagine all Kane is wanting is regular starts somewhere 

Hadn’t actually looked at his stats until now. Hopefully he hits some sort of purple patch, rather than continuing his (lack of) scoring form over the last 10 years. Glad we’ve brought someone in. But I still believe defence/midfield are where we need experience most.

9 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

Apparently Wighton's injury is long term, one baldy for another 

No surprise there. We don't do short term injuries. 

With the attacking set-up we go with, Wighton is like a man down anyway.  Sounds like Kane is at least aggressive and will challange centre backs. More suited to the role than Wighton.

Edited by Chubbychops

2 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Hadn’t actually looked at his stats until now. Hopefully he hits some sort of purple patch, rather than continuing his (lack of) scoring form over the last 10 years. Glad we’ve brought someone in. But I still believe defence/midfield are where we need experience most.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes got 37 goals, and 21 assists, in 244 games for us. Think the wiki stats must just be league games. Minutes played wise he averaged a goal or assist every 2.5 games, roughly. A lot of his early appearances (hes played 10+ games for us since 14/15) were late sub appearances with rack up games played numbers but not minutes played numbers.

He'd improved in being a poacher by the time he got his injury, i think 20/21 was arguably the best we saw of him as a finisher. Very much one who needs to shoot first time to score though, if hes 1v1 with the keeper and has time to think then he'll more often than not miss.

His value up front is creating space for others. Teams will have CBs welded to him and he'll get them wrestling him, hes so good at using his body to keep the ball. Any striker partner or attacking midfielder will then find huge spaces around him to play in, and if you pair him with Paton then he'd suddenly find its easier to escape his marker.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Cheers mate. Genuinely not convinced he’s what we need. But I really hope I’m wrong. Looks like he’s been injured a lot and we need guys that will stay fit and play every week. We also create zero chances and our strikers get zero service, so that doesn’t sound like it’ll suit his style of play?

If everyone was fit, he’d probably be ideal to play with Todd running beyond him. But our current (fit) midfield options aren’t exactly going to be making runs in behind. We also already have McCann and a 6’2 striker we signed on loan in January to be a physical presence/nuisance for defenders, without scoring much.

It might just be one of these signings that just works out though and there’s no obvious reason for it. Fingers crossed, for everyone, that proves to be the case.

Edited by CallumPar

Just now, Wacky said:

We already have strikers that score 1 in 15 games, why bring in another one? 
If we can feed the strikers we already have we’d probably get on better 

I doubt this will be our only domestic loan before the end of the month. Let's be honest, our striking options just now are not championship standard maybe with he exception of Jakubiak (too early to judge Holmes). 

Just now, VinnyPar said:

I doubt this will be our only domestic loan before the end of the month. Let's be honest, our striking options just now are not championship standard maybe with he exception of Jakubiak (too early to judge Holmes). 

I feel sorry for Holmes, the laddie must have looked at out stats and thought he’d be a shoe in as a starter, he doesn’t get a start, and we bring in a 29 year old striker that’ll probably start this week