Walking Down The Halbeath Road

3 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

I know f**k all but his "underwhelming" stats may be due to him playing in the top flight the last few years?

Fair point. I think I’ve allowed my disappointment of no mid or defensive player taint my view here. Chris maybe could do more damage in this league. 
He’s a Pars player now, and like the rest of them I’ll be right behind him on match day. 

At this stage, I'll take any experienced player in the squad at the moment. Everyone, including the current squad, needs a lift and if that's a older head getting stuck in at training and dragging folk up by the collar, I'll take it. Beggars can't be choosers and if he can even hold the ball up for even a few seconds, he'll help relieve pressure on a midfield running on empty.

Be interesting to see how this impacts McCann, whether he drops out or McPake just wants to get him running more from deeper positions. 

It's something. Another experienced defender or midfielder would go a long way to buying McPake time IMO.

7 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

We also create zero chances and our strikers get zero service, so that doesn’t sound like it’ll suit his style of play?

Hes not one who'll br creating many chances for himself or others, no.

His best run of goals really came when he was getting on the end of crosses and knocking it in first time.

Hes more a grafter to help occupy defences so others can create chances. Hes really, really, good at getting you up the park by holding the ball up or winning fouls, or at least was.

4 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Has his injury affected him much? 

I remember him looking very good for QoTS at this level against us (hopefully @Skyline Drifter@Monkey Tennis can confirm I'm not grasping too madly at straws here) 

Hard to know, hes not really played much since, but on the few times he has he doesnt look like hes suffered much physically. 

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes more a grafter to help occupy defences so others can create chances. Hes really, really, good at getting you up the park by holding the ball up or winning fouls, or at least was.

Ridiculously, that is badly needed atm.

3 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Has his injury affected him much? 

I remember him looking very good for QoTS at this level against us (hopefully @Skyline Drifter@Monkey Tennis can confirm I'm not grasping too madly at straws here) 

To be fair, by miles his best game for us was in the 5-2 win at East End Park in December 2017 when he scored twice. It was the only game he played against you for us. He was on loan to us for the first half of the 17/18 season. He started 14 games, was used as a sub 6 times and scored 5 goals, 2 of them in that game. I liked Chris Kane, I think we all did, and we were disappointed not to keep him for 2nd half of the season when St Johnstone recalled him, but it's fair to say he didn't exactly hit the ground running and the frustration was he'd finally come into some form when he left. His first 14 appearances saw him score once and that off the bench as a sub in a challenge cup tie where we battered Berwick Rangers. However, he did start his last 8 games for us before recall and scored 4 goals in that spell, including the two at you. He had begun to form a partnership with Dobbie and his departure was frustrating.

Can't add much more. Tried hard, attitude was spot on, he was more of a hard worker than a free scorer though. Wasn't as impressive as Jason Kerr who was on loan from St Johnstone at the same time!

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

best run of goals really came when he was getting on the end of crosses and knocking it in first time.

This sounds more positive,  

5 minutes ago, AuldReekie said:

interesting to see how this impacts McCann, whether he drops out or McPake just wants to get him running more from deeper positions. 

I think deeper positions. If McCann gets more room to run he can get a good head of steam up. 

28 minutes ago, Wacky said:

We need defenders and midfield players, so we get an underwhelming striker 

Unfortunately we can't have it all. We signed two defenders in the window, regardless of how experienced they are.

I agree another in the middle would be welcome but the manager did say two were coming in so hopefully it's someone for the middle of the park.

We didn't replace the two out and out strikers we let go last season which turned out to be a poor move.

We have a number of players on the fringes of coming back but none are strikers and we're absolutely gash up front.

On 12/02/2024 at 09:54, CallumPar said:

This thread has become a car crash, with the last few pages being filled with about 3/4 posters arguing with each other and twisting each others’ words to make them look stupid. Please stop. We all want the same thing, and the reality is nobody on here is likely to be ‘right’ about everything.

Everyone’s entitled to their opinions on things. Everyone’s entitled to draw their own conclusions. If you disagree with someone, you don’t need to keep attacking them. Likewise, if someone disagrees with you, you don’t need to keep going at them. We don’t all have to agree.

It’s honestly getting to the stage that I’ve been avoiding this thread, because it’s just reminding me of .net - which, ironically, most of you criticise because it’s exactly what this thread is in danger of becoming.

For what it’s worth, the facts are that we have failed to sign experienced players when they have been targeted. None of us know why, but the fact that some of these players (like Wotherspoon) have come to train with us, been offered a contract, continued to train etc, suggests that it’s not a case of them just not wanting to come here. It suggests that it comes down to money. What I would say, is that the experienced players we have signed, the vast majority have worked with McPake/Mackay before - which suggests people actually like/want to work with them.

Experienced players will generally ask for more money than youngsters. That’s normal. But a lot of these experienced players will have families to feed, bills to pay etc. their experience is also very valuable on the park and in training - as we have found out. If we have opted not to pay this ‘premium’ for experience and opted for ‘cheaper’ inexperienced players instead, we’re now paying the price. That suggestion doesn’t seem too farfetched, when you look at the business we’ve done in the last 7/8 months. Regardless of what has happened/gone wrong with the offers to experienced players, I’m sure everyone involved is now seeing exactly why you have to pay more for experience.

Players at our level aren’t earning life-changing money and the experienced ones don’t have a long career ahead of them. Their decisions will absolutely come down to money. Just as career decisions will with just about everyone on here - if you have a couple of job offers on the table, one’s offering you £40k per year, the other is offering £45k, which one are you taking?

For the avoidance of doubt, (before people start twisting words to suit their own agenda) this doesn’t mean there’s some kind of agenda by the board/investors. It simply means that mistakes have been made and, to date, haven’t been rectified/fixed.

Great quote , just been thinking though you guys were a lot happier in league 1 and winning so maybe going to take a few yo yo like seasons to get back on track as much as it pains you 

1 minute ago, The Toun Clock said:

Unfortunately we can't have it all. We signed two defenders in the window, regardless of how experienced they are.

I agree another in the middle would be welcome but the manager did say two were coming in so hopefully it's someone for the middle of the park.

We didn't replace the two out and out strikers we let go last season which turned out to be a poor move.

We have a number of players on the fringes of coming back but none are strikers and we're absolutely gash up front.

I'd also take an experienced defender. Hamilton is wasted in defence and would add a ton of energy in midfield. We've got good midfielders at the club, they just need to be freed up to play there.

Just now, The Toun Clock said:

Yer right neebs. I was hoping deeper players, and didn’t let this news set in before showing my disappointment. As I said in another post he could be far better in this league 

4 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Maybe a sign we're going to go more direct? f**k it, bypass the midfield (we don't have one) and shell balls at Kane to hold up for Jak to notch.

Fitba is easy

We’ve found our new manager when McPake goes. 😂

Just now, AuldReekie said:

I'd also take an experienced defender. Hamilton is wasted in defence and would add a ton of energy in midfield. We've got good midfielders at the club, they just need to be freed up to play there.

What good midfielders are you talking about? Chalmers is a cart horse Paul Allen would look average on Sunday league Mat Todd not fit enough to be the player he was last season the two loan boys summers and Motfat great individual talents but in this league they are like boys play again man our battled and out muscled 

4 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Great quote , just been thinking though you guys were a lot happier in league 1 and winning so maybe going to take a few yo yo like seasons to get back on track as much as it pains you 

Be gone with you sir, we are busy in the process of deciding the fate of our new loanee. 

Just now, MH1122 said:

What good midfielders are you talking about? Chalmers is a cart horse Paul Allen would look average on Sunday league Mat Todd not fit enough to be the player he was last season the two loan boys summers and Motfat great individual talents but in this league they are like boys play again man our battled and out muscled 

Hamilton and Otoo could both easily improve our midfield and when Matty Todd is back, he walks right back into this team. I also think Chalmers, the scapegoat he might be, would be improved by lifting the performances around him.

All I'm saying is that the next signing doesn't have to be a midfielder - you can look at good defenders too, increasing our chances of actually making a signing, and improve both defence and midfield in the process.

3 minutes ago, MH1122 said:

We are playing two good midfield players in defence right now. 

23 minutes ago, Wacky said:

I feel sorry for Holmes, the laddie must have looked at out stats and thought he’d be a shoe in as a starter, he doesn’t get a start, and we bring in a 29 year old striker that’ll probably start this week 

It's up to Holmes to put himself in the jersey though mate. It's only been two games, I think it made sense to have him on the bench against Morton. We then brought him on at 0-4 which was a bit unfair, the place was poisonous and the fans were on the players back. He wasn't going to make much difference.

I think last week the management with the tried and trusted, boys who've played for the club to try and right the wrong from the Morton game and they failed.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Kane start with Holmes this weekend but I'd expect to see them both at some point. There's a lot of football to be played, he'll feature a lot I'm sure.

Lewis McCann is a winger who's built like a centre forward, there's a big difference. He can play that wide role well when he wants to but don't fire balls up to him as nothing will stick.