Evil Neighbours Thread

24 minutes ago, Left Back said:

A gutty is a catapult, which is different to a slingshot and a training shoe.

A 'gutty' is also a type of golf ball made from the latex sap of the gutta percha tree. This type of ball was the successor of the featherie and preceded the Haskell wound core ball.

Gutta percha is also used to fill tooth cavities after root canal treatment.

Thank you.

17 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

A 'gutty' is also a type of golf ball made from the latex sap of the gutta percha tree. This type of ball was the successor of the featherie and preceded the Haskell wound core ball.

Gutta percha is also used to fill tooth cavities after root canal treatment.

Thank you.

Sounds like a decent weapon that could have been used in a slingshot when I was a kid.

22 hours ago, MuckleMoo said:

This was a gutty when I was growing up. Fucking lethal bit of kit in the right hands.

6d9c604e5a082e3d967a7e6b9d4e3668.jpg

I'm sure we used to call it a puggy but can't find anything to back this up so may have been a Lanarkshire thing. Obviously puggy was also  a Fruit Machine but upon my investigations I found another meaning. You're welcome 

E42B99FE-7EC7-4447-A713-394231232E58.jpeg

The Internet tells me that Puggy was originally a term for a monkey; is that right? It was stretched to include fruit machines due to people's familiarity with giving coins to performing monkeys, who'd then return them to the organ grinder providing the entertainment. Makes sense, I guess.

Can't say I've ever heard anyone refer to a monkey as a puggy, but I can't think of the last time I saw one outside of Blairdrummond Safari Park either.

Edit: apparently some people call ATMs puggys too. Surely not.

Edited by BFTD

On 13/08/2022 at 00:10, MuckleMoo said:

You're a connoisseur of the gutty I see. A must have when growing up in the 80's. The Rolls Royce of guttys if you will

A lovely bit of kit, especially because it would fit in a back pocket after the wrist-brace folded up.

That said, a mate of mine made us all jealous by upgrading to a Diablo.

Bury Air Guns

We used to amuse ourselves by firing ping-pong balls with gunpower in at roofs. The bang would create a stir.

Also a lot of fun firing forest nuts at the rooves of caravans in the Callander Holiday Park. We'd sit among the trees on the hill that overlooked the park and fire them. We'd be rewarded by a distant "ding" when they hit, followed by an irate holidaymaker coming out their van and looking around fruitlessly for the culprits. Whiled away many a summer hour doing that.

On 12/08/2022 at 23:59, MuckleMoo said:

This was a gutty when I was growing up. Fucking lethal bit of kit in the right hands.

6d9c604e5a082e3d967a7e6b9d4e3668.jpg

Used to be a fishing tackle shop in Newington we frequented as wee boys sold these, and airguns.

Always useful on childhood fishing trips when you caught nothing to fire stones at nearby pylons etc.............

11 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Used to be a fishing tackle shop in Newington we frequented as wee boys sold these, and airguns.

Always useful on childhood fishing trips when you caught nothing to fire stones at nearby pylons etc.............

Was that the shop next to the Queen's Hall that had an impressive display of blades in the window?

Our Scout troop were as tooled up as any Possil neds back in the day thanks to that shop