Ched Evans

philpy

Yes.

Yeah, he should go into some job where he will return to being some non entity.

He should have no place in the entertainment industry. I find it astonishing anyone is supporting his return. Are you still looking out for Gary Glitter concerts too?

Interesting. What level of criminality should prevent a return to football?

Breach of the peace?

Possession of class B drugs?

Drunk driving?

Assault?

Serious question.

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Breach of the peace?

Drunk driving?

Assault?

Serious question.

He raped a teenage girl.

Sheffield united shouldn't hire a rapist that could potentially put the safety of its female employees at risk.

He raped a teenage girl.

Sheffield united shouldn't hire a rapist that could potentially put the safety of its female employees at risk.

if he's still a risk why has he been released from prison?

if he's still a risk why has he been released from prison?

You didn't highlight the word potentially

Think of it this way, if you had a wife or teenage daughter working for a company and they hired a convicted rapist and her job would involve coming into contact on a daily basis

How would you feel?

I know I'd be asking questions of the employer who runs a "family friendly business" as most football clubs want to be seen as, how they can justify hiring the individual

Breach of the peace?

Drunk driving?

Assault?

Serious question.

None of the first two, and it would depend on the severity of the final two.

Rape should absolutely and always prevent a return to football. As it said, it's exactly the same as people attending Ian Watkins concerts - they will never happen again so why on earth should Ched Evans return to an entertainment industry?

I was, and still am, vehemently opposed to the veneration of Mike Tyson. The idea that he is now some beloved celebrity disgusts me.

I can't believe it. It seems as if it didn't happen.

Only last week I watched the wrestling and the Rock was parading around with an 'Iron' Mike Tyson jacket on. Various TV and film appearances for him too.

Think of it this way, if you had a wife or teenage daughter working for a company and they hired a convicted rapist and her job would involve coming into contact on a daily basis

How would you feel?

I know I'd be asking questions of the employer who runs a "family friendly business" as most football clubs want to be seen as, how they can justify hiring the individual

couldn't anyone potentially put other employees at risk? Don't get me wrong I agree with your sentiment and I too wouldn't be too happy if he were to sign for my Club but what does society do with these people? Is it footballs job to take more of a moral high ground that say a construction company with regard to employing people like Ched Evans?

How would you feel?

You could ask, but I doubt they'd need to discuss that type of decision, even with the relative of an employee. In fact especially so.

No one would like it but rehabilitation rules and employment law allows it. From a parole view the fact he gets a job so soon and is off benefits it'll be seen as a very quick win.

On the one hand, he has served his sentence handed down by his peers and now deserves the chance (as many other serious offenders do) to move on with his life.

On the other hand, he is a convicted rapist who took advantage of an intoxicated girl and had sex with her.

Nah, not for me. Deserves to live his life but not as a professional footballer.

Rape should absolutely and always prevent a return to football. As it said, it's exactly the same as people attending Ian Watkins concerts - they will never happen again so why on earth should Ched Evans return to an entertainment industry?

lol wut

How might a law be passed to stop Watkins playing concerts, to an adults only audience, if he was ever released? Or even to kids if parents chose to take them?

It would be unwise and public order might be an issue. But if he wants to try....

Is it footballs job to take more of a moral high ground that say a construction company with regard to employing people like Ched Evans?

Yes, obviously it should. Football makes money because fans pay to watch it in person or on TV. It is an entertainment sport. People involved in the entertainment are undoubtedly held to higher standards.

If Ched Evans becomes a builder, who cares? We'll never hear from him again, he can live a life of redemption all he wants. If he returns and plays well his name will be plastered on marketing materials, he'll play internationally, and he'll earn millions because people are paying to watch him play football. There's a chasm of difference between the two.

If he is allowed back, which amazingly looks likely, I will refuse to watch any game that he features in. It's a small, meaningless gesture, but it's better than letting a rapist thrive in the entertainment industry.

lol wut

Yes. If Evans is allowed back into the entertainment industry why not Ian Watkins? Gary Glitter?

How might a law be passed to stop Watkins playing concerts, to an adults only audience, if he was ever released? Or even to kids if parents chose to take them? It would be unwise and public order might be an issue. But if he wants to try....

There would be no law. He can hold concerts all he wants.

I hope nobody would attend them because of his crimes, and similarly, no venue would host them.

Yes, obviously it should. Football makes money because fans pay to watch it in person or on TV. It is an entertainment sport. People involved in the entertainment are undoubtedly held to higher standards.

If Ched Evans becomes a builder, who cares? We'll never hear from him again, he can live a life of redemption all he wants. If he returns and plays well his name will be plastered on marketing materials, he'll play internationally, and he'll earn millions because people are paying to watch him play football. There's a chasm of difference between the two.

If he is allowed back, which amazingly looks likely, I will refuse to watch any game that he features in. It's a small, meaningless gesture, but it's better than letting a rapist thrive in the entertainment industry.

Yes. If Evans is allowed back into the entertainment industry why not Ian Watkins? Gary Glitter?

What if he is a good Brickie, sets up a building firm and starts building family homes all over the country with national advertising etc?

There would be no law. He can hold concerts all he wants.

I hope nobody would attend them because of his crimes, and similarly, no venue would host them.

By the same token Evans can play professional football as long as someone is prepared to pay him.

He raped a teenage girl.

So a drunk driver could kill one of the employees. He's out.

Duncan Ferguson could have assaulted an employee.

And so on.

What if he is a good Brickie, sets up a building firm and starts building family homes all over the country with national advertising etc?

If he's able to set up a successful firm, then he's clever enough to not ever use the name of convicted rapist in any advertising.

I have no issue with him making money out of his this highly implausible scenario, though.

By the same token Evans can play professional football as long as someone is prepared to pay him.

Correct. I've never disputed this. But by the same token, if you wouldn't go to an Ian Watkins concert why would you pay to watch Ched Evans play football?

The clubs should be taking the moral high ground on this, same as venues, it should be very bad for business to hire (and promote) a convicted rapist. The fact it doesn't appear to be enough of a deterrent is a pretty damning indictment of football fans.

If he signed for St. Mirren, I would never attend another St. Mirren game whilst he is at the club. I might never attend one again unless they repudiate and apologise for the decision. Some things are more important than football, and this is much, much more important.

Archived