Ched Evans

philpy

I don't disagree but there in lies the problem.......where is the line drawn & by whom?

I see what Supras is saying in relation to entertainment industry but the arguement for banning these people from it are entirely different from a teacher or a Dr being struck off.

It's drawn by the individual, obviously. There's no other way it can be done. In this instance, I strongly oppose. Some cases will be more nuanced.

Yes, of course it's very different from being struck off as a teacher or doctor, the reasons behind doing it are totally different.

He'll find a new club, and in five years he'll barely be mentioned by anyone outwith the odd mention when the subject of rape raises its head in the sport again. As someone who supports a team who've signed a players who's spent time in jail for murder, I can tell you that whoever he signs for well be staunchly against it, but there will also be a minority who'll defend him. If he doesn't perform fairly quickly then he's more likely to be punted than a non-murderer though.

If there are people who think football is so important that they should hire murderers, then it's absolutely a damning indictment of this sport.

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has to be allowed to take up any job that doesnt contravene the conditions of his release. Footballers arent in positions of trust, working with vulnerable groups etc so there isnt really any reason why he shouldnt have the right to sign for a club. Clubs have the right not to sign him and many will no doubt exercise that option. To suggest he should be banned from working a certain job simply because its a coveted, lucrative job doesnt wash and makes a mockery of the theory of locking people up for rehabilitation.

Rape, and other sexual offences, seem to carry the worst stigma. Theres an argument that Lee Hughes and Luke McCormicks offences were even worse, but there hasnt been the same level of emotive debate IMO.

FWIW, I dont think I would want him at United.

If there are people who think football is so important that they should hire murderers, then it's absolutely a damning indictment of this sport.

The fans in our support were defending him because we'd given a chance to the likes of Jody Morris in the past so we should give him a chance too

It's drawn by the individual, obviously. There's no other way it can be done. In this instance, I strongly oppose. Some cases will be more nuanced.

Yes, of course it's very different from being struck off as a teacher or doctor, the reasons behind doing it are totally different.

Which means Ched Evans will undoubtedly get another Club as we all have differing morals & beliefs.

Not the same severity obviously but were you arguing that Tiger Woods should have been banned from professional golf?

Football has been morally bankrupt for decades.

Supras, I think you under estimate the indifference of supporters. Most turn up and watch the team regardless of personnel.He will be a target for opposition supporters, that's likely to strengthen home support.

I'm not sure how you see the entertainment industry as some kind of would be bastion of morality. I'd say it was the opposite.

To suggest he should be banned from working a certain job simply because its a coveted, lucrative job doesnt wash and makes a mockery of the theory of locking people up for rehabilitation.

Rape, and other sexual offences, seem to carry the worst stigma. Theres an argument that Lee Hughes and Luke McCormicks offences were even worse, but there hasnt been the same level of emotive debate IMO.

FWIW, I dont think I would want him at United.

It is nothing to do with it being coveted, and it isn't particularly relevant that it's lucrative either, it's because it's in the entertainment industry. If you are saying it's okay, would you be willing to pay to attend a Gary Glitter or Ian Watkins concert too? Be specific. If one is wrong then so is the other.

If Evans is qualified to go offshore for a lucrative, "coveted" position then fine. It wouldn't be a problem. It's his continual participation in the entertainment industry that is the problem.

Nobody is questioning his right to rehabilitation, I'm far more liberal than most people on this issue, and have already discussed this in detail.

All three should have no place in the entertainment industry.

The fans in our support were defending him because we'd given a chance to the likes of Jody Morris in the past so we should give him a chance too

Again, that is why it should be decided on a case by case basis.

Which means Ched Evans will undoubtedly get another Club as we all have differing morals & beliefs.

Not the same severity obviously but were you arguing that Tiger Woods should have been banned from professional golf?

Football has been morally bankrupt for decades.

Who has the morality that they want to hire rapists for their football club?

Why would Tiger Woods be banned from professional golf?

So you claim "football is morally bankrupt" and therefore we should definitely hire rapists cause they might be good at football? What, exactly, is your point here?

Supras, I think you under estimate the indifference of supporters. Most turn up and watch the team regardless of personnel.He will be a target for opposition supporters, that's likely to strengthen home support. I'm not sure how you see the entertainment industry as some kind of would be bastion of morality. I'd say it was the opposite.

I'm not saying the entertainment industry is a bastion of morality, but it's public, high profile, and something that we consent to participate in. It's exactly the kind of environment that rapists should not be allowed to participate in.

I'm astonished, genuinely astonished, that some people would welcome him back to football. It's not so much me underestimating the indifference of supporters, more that I'm overestimating the human race. As I said, it's a pretty depressing discussion.

Supras, I think you under estimate the indifference of supporters. Most turn up and watch the team regardless of personnel.He will be a target for opposition supporters, that's likely to strengthen home support. I'm not sure how you see the entertainment industry as some kind of would be bastion of morality. I'd say it was the opposite.

You really think the Sheffield United support are going to get right behind and support him?

I took this with a pinch of salt but intresting nevertheless.

http://www.chedevans.com/key-and-undisputed-facts

Equally, it remains the case that he challenged his conviction and it was rejected by the Court of Appeal.

On the topic of this site, it was mentioned on the BBC News last night, and from what I think I picked-up (half-distracted), the explanation is:

* his girlfriend - who was with him then - says she "knows he isn't capable" of committing rape, it must've been consensual

* she has "stood by him"

* her parents are millionaires

* they're funding his appeals and the "Ched Evans" website

Is that correct? Seems an odd situation all round, frankly. It's like something off the Jeremy Kyle show.

Yeah, but you said he was jailed for murder. Either you intentionally got it wrong or you don't understand what murder is.

Or I remember he killed someone and was put in jail for the incident, and over the years since he signed I've let the facts fudge in my mind.

Archived