Depression

Quiet here past few days, hoping everyone who has been struggling has had a break from their problems?

Been better.
Attended the doctors who have decided to not give me medication, I declined a line for work, having heard bad stories about people being pressured into returning. Getting referred to weight management clinic to help me with my weight and it’s constant rising and falling.

Was referred to a mental health nurse who has made the point that if I can start motivating myself I’ll feel better. Which is fair.
Was told by my girlfriend to go to an Andy’s man club meeting, which I have been, and being able to talk has helped.

Also started walking more often. Only an hour at a time. But it’s good to get out of the house.

Planning on building my stamina back up before I move onto 5’s or the gym. Also me and my girlfriend have decided we need something to look forward to and have booked a holiday to the Dominican Republic.

Still feel shit, but not as shit is the best way to describe it just now.

Since my last bout of anxiety, I've actually managed to cope with things a lot better. I would say it was maybe 4 weeks ago? Since then I've been taking medication, going to therapy and staying active. Booked a holiday as well with my mates which I'm buzzing for. Last month, however, I felt like the world was collapsing in on me and there was only one escape - suicide. Thankfully I managed to see out the worst of it and get myself back to a more comfortable state of mind. I still struggle sometimes, but nowhere near as bad as I was back then. It does get better friends - talk to someone you love, seek therapy, do the things you love - you are special and needed in the world!

Guest bernardblack

I’ve started keeping a diary of my anxiety. When I’ve felt bad and better and tried to see what triggered it etc. Hopefully will be able to see some positive results from it

Yes, improvements, definitely.

Completed IOP for the alcoholism on Thursday, been living in the sober home for 7 weeks, just started the new job.

All round positivity, I honestly think the change of surroundings has helped immeasurably.

Still aware of the darkness there in my mind but I’m in a better place to see it coming and hopefully deal with it before it gets out of hand

I’ve started keeping a diary of my anxiety. When I’ve felt bad and better and tried to see what triggered it etc. Hopefully will be able to see some positive results from it
Always a great idea to keep a diary bernardblack, just a wee thought from previous experience on it, sometimes for me when I experienced my anxiety it was not always in the now, sometimes it came from when I was "feeling good " and spoke to someone when I was "OK" then met them 2 days later n just wished I was under the duvet. So when it comes it may not always be about what is happening at that time but be related to something earlier, just a thought but defo keep the diary as it will make sense.... all the best

Guest bernardblack
Always a great idea to keep a diary bernardblack, just a wee thought from previous experience on it, sometimes for me when I experienced my anxiety it was not always in the now, sometimes it came from when I was "feeling good " and spoke to someone when I was "OK" then met them 2 days later n just wished I was under the duvet. So when it comes it may not always be about what is happening at that time but be related to something earlier, just a thought but defo keep the diary as it will make sense.... all the best

Thanks mate. Been keeping track for a week and it’s been good to look back and when/where/what triggered it and trying to work on it from there.

Been keeping track of caffeine etc too so hoping to see some correlation there

5 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Just thought you’d like to know 60 days sober as of yesterday

Well done RN, a day at time and an hour or a minute at a time on a bad day.

I'm sorry to hear that Philpy. I want to give you some honest advice but it might not be the best. Just make sure your mum is okay, first and foremost OK? She's the important part here and deserves your attention rather than him.
Cheers man. That's what people have been telling me, but it's going to be hard.

I'm sorry to hear that Philpy. I want to give you some honest advice but it might not be the best. Just make sure your mum is okay, first and foremost OK? She's the important part here and deserves your attention rather than him.

This is my thoughts as well. Concentrating on your mum is enough to keep your mind away from your dad. Focus on her and it’ll be easier to ignore your dad if that’s what you need to do.

3 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

I don’t know why my response has come through as a link and I can’t be fucked trying to fix it

Happens mate, not sure why. I wouldn't get depressed about it. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Struggled a bit more in recent weeks.

Started with losing a bit of intensity/discipline in exercise and was feeling a bit bad about that and since I’ve cracked my rib. I now can’t even go for a run without agonising pain.

Struggling with work, been getting the old bleak feelings of ‘what’s the point in all this’ coming back which exercise used to get rid of. I don’t have any clear goals and feel like I’m just drifting nowhere again. Not to mention the cracked rib is making me struggle to sleep.

I’ve started regressing back into my shell, losing confidence, losing fight and determination and the feeling that something terrible is coming.

I’m not back in the worst place but I’m absolutely terrified of it coming back.