Depression

Amazing what a couple of months does.

I'm feeling great right now. Work back on track, albeit part-time, doing plenty of exercise, emotionally a lot more stable, teaching again, self-esteem highest it's been in a long time.

CBT really made a difference. I've been off medication for over a month now, and that has elevated my mood. Suspect they were being counter-productive. Occasionally find lethargic points, and self-doubt can kick in, but social anxiety is greatly reduced and I'm in as good a place as I've been for at least a year.

Things do get better folks :)

Great to hear.

Amazing what a couple of months does.

I'm feeling great right now. Work back on track, albeit part-time, doing plenty of exercise, emotionally a lot more stable, teaching again, self-esteem highest it's been in a long time.

CBT really made a difference. I've been off medication for over a month now, and that has elevated my mood. Suspect they were being counter-productive. Occasionally find lethargic points, and self-doubt can kick in, but social anxiety is greatly reduced and I'm in as good a place as I've been for at least a year.

Things do get better folks :)

Good.

I'm doing really well just now.

Very, very tired after a day at work, and a bit weak on my RHS, but considering that's due to a stroke I had just over 2 weeks ago (Ischemic not hemorrhagic) I really can't complain.

Had about 24 hours of real scare in the hospital afterwards, really no grip, no leg strength and a weak right side of my mouth, but probably back to about 90% of normal now, and have to get physical therapy. Lucky I was at work and they called the ambulance immediately, so I got the tPA treatment within an hour of being admitted.

I feel really good right now, and delighted with how things are going

I'm doing really well just now.

Very, very tired after a day at work, and a bit weak on my RHS, but considering that's due to a stroke I had just over 2 weeks ago (Ischemic not hemorrhagic) I really can't complain.

Had about 24 hours of real scare in the hospital afterwards, really no grip, no leg strength and a weak right side of my mouth, but probably back to about 90% of normal now, and have to get physical therapy. Lucky I was at work and they called the ambulance immediately, so I got the tPA treatment within an hour of being admitted.

I feel really good right now, and delighted with how things are going

Bit off topic, and glad to hear you're getting better, but what would have happened if you were uninsured in Chicago as regards initial treatment and ongoing therapy etc.?

First time poster on here.

I've suffered from depression since I was a young teenager, mostly does to previous years which I've explained before & won't go into at this time.

I've always been very isolated person, good for night outs but always on my own personally, several relationships come & go (there or my fault for separation).

When I was about 26 first spoke to a doctor about my symptoms & was diagnosed with depression (I always put it down to grief/guilt). Had medication for few years on and off & most time better than not.

All was very good for about 4 years & got the courage to travel the world (leave Scotland) ended up in Thailand, meet a great girl, who was educated, working in an insurance company & single mother (had to explain that as many people this I married a bar girl). This were great, really great.

We had Roy (my son) 3 years ago & I become very anxious about everyday life. Then from about February this year, I've really went down hill, back to what I was before in my teens. I still go to work everyday, but that about it. Socially I'm out the picture (my choice).

I spoke to my wife, but there is zero understanding here (life is life, get on with it & don't complain). Great attitude, but not really. I have nobody to speak to face to face, phone calls back to Scotland are no good & generally not good times of life at the moment. I look at my son everyday & think about me dying, every single moment, I'm only 41 ffs.

Sad times, hope I can kick out of it soon.

Bit off topic, and glad to hear you're getting better, but what would have happened if you were uninsured in Chicago as regards initial treatment and ongoing therapy etc.?

Legally you're entitled to necessary treatment at the hospital, after that.......

• 3 weeks later...

Needing some advice,

Before i start i just wanna say that things are better now in my personal life than they have ever been, im in a very healthy relationship with a woman im just crazy about, we see each other all the time and have just comfortably passed the 5 month mark.

But my issue is regarding my job, as a few of you on here will already know, i hate my current job with a passion, its a customer service inbound role in a high stress office enviroment, it was one of the factors in my depression and its remarkable that after 10 months sick leave that i even went back. But the work hasnt improved, infact it has gotten worse and it has started to affect my health, ive just had 2 weeks sick leave away from the place after having a small breakdown due to stress.

Basically im in the midst of applying and interviewing for new jobs, ive decided i want to get my foot in the door of retail jobs with the end goal of working in a videogame or pet store as those are two things i have a big interest in and i can actually get excited about. It will pay much better than what im getting paid currently and there are better promotion prospects.

But my question is this, im due to go back to this dreaded work tomorrow morning, which im already losing sleep over, if im honest id rather not go back at all and just concentrate my time on getting a new job ASAP, money wise it wont kill me as im due to get a months wage this week and id planned on holding onto as much of it as possible for Christmas etc, so ill not go broke in the meantime.

I know they say its much easier to get a new job when in a job but should i continue to work in a place that is literally affecting my health or just cut ties now and concentrate on a new career?

I'd hang on in there if I were you, hard though it appears at the moment.

When you get another job, just leave.

Needing some advice,

Before i start i just wanna say that things are better now in my personal life than they have ever been, im in a very healthy relationship with a woman im just crazy about, we see each other all the time and have just comfortably passed the 5 month mark.

But my issue is regarding my job, as a few of you on here will already know, i hate my current job with a passion, its a customer service inbound role in a high stress office enviroment, it was one of the factors in my depression and its remarkable that after 10 months sick leave that i even went back. But the work hasnt improved, infact it has gotten worse and it has started to affect my health, ive just had 2 weeks sick leave away from the place after having a small breakdown due to stress.

Basically im in the midst of applying and interviewing for new jobs, ive decided i want to get my foot in the door of retail jobs with the end goal of working in a videogame or pet store as those are two things i have a big interest in and i can actually get excited about. It will pay much better than what im getting paid currently and there are better promotion prospects.

But my question is this, im due to go back to this dreaded work tomorrow morning, which im already losing sleep over, if im honest id rather not go back at all and just concentrate my time on getting a new job ASAP, money wise it wont kill me as im due to get a months wage this week and id planned on holding onto as much of it as possible for Christmas etc, so ill not go broke in the meantime.

I know they say its much easier to get a new job when in a job but should i continue to work in a place that is literally affecting my health or just cut ties now and concentrate on a new career?

Give yourself a date when you'll walk out, new job or not, and stick to it. Say two months. Might make it easier.

Needing some advice,

Only you can make the choice (obviously). But having stayed in a job that made me feel the same (the same kind, Bank of Scotland inbound call centre in Dunfermline, mortgage department) I would say, if you can afford it, get out as soon as you can. Life is far too important and precious to waste doing a job that makes you ill. Your health is far more important than money. You don't want to lose years of your life.

There are a lot of Christmas temp jobs kicking about or about to be that you can maybe get whilst you look for a new job. You might get something soon, you might struggle for a bit, but that's the risk you take, and it's up to you of course how you feel about the risk.

Does your girlfriend and family know? Or do you have someone you can speak to? Some folk find it useful (not me, my parents are clueless on how to deal with it and just try to ignore it) to have someone to speak to.

I think you need to discuss it with someone you trust and who understands you and what you're going through. That way you'll find you know what to do. You'll vocalise the pros and cons and it will become clear what you should do

Only you can make the choice (obviously). But having stayed in a job that made me feel the same (the same kind, Bank of Scotland inbound call centre in Dunfermline, mortgage department) I would say, if you can afford it, get out as soon as you can. Life is far too important and precious to waste doing a job that makes you ill. Your health is far more important than money. You don't want to lose years of your life.

There are a lot of Christmas temp jobs kicking about or about to be that you can maybe get whilst you look for a new job. You might get something soon, you might struggle for a bit, but that's the risk you take, and it's up to you of course how you feel about the risk.

Does your girlfriend and family know? Or do you have someone you can speak to? Some folk find it useful (not me, my parents are clueless on how to deal with it and just try to ignore it) to have someone to speak to.

I think you need to discuss it with someone you trust and who understands you and what you're going through. That way you'll find you know what to do. You'll vocalise the pros and cons and it will become clear what you should do

Ive discussed it with my girlfriend and she is of the opinion that i stick it out until i find something new, to be fair thats the opinion of almost everyone.

Needing some advice,

t

Been there, done that. Get out mate. Asap.

Just thought I'd give everyone a update regarding my job, I chose to resign and it might just be exhaustion from not sleeping at all last night but I feel like a huge weight has been lifted. Now I can find a more suitable job, with much less stress, wish me luck!

Might be an idea to find some related volunteer work if you don't get another job straight away. Would look better on your CV.

Just thought I'd give everyone a update regarding my job, I chose to resign and it might just be exhaustion from not sleeping at all last night but I feel like a huge weight has been lifted. Now I can find a more suitable job, with much less stress, wish me luck!

Fantastic. There's no feeling like it. The weight off your shoulders is immense, and I know it's easy to say but you will find something and you will be in a better state of mind to look for a job now than you would be if you persisted in staying at your old place. I wish you the best of luck, I know exactly what you were/are going through.

Great stuff. Definitely the right decision, although I am sure you know that already. Any job that makes you feel that way is not worth it. Good luck for the future.

Nice. Think you've done the right thing here. How does your CV look?

Might be an idea to find some related volunteer work if you don't get another job straight away. Would look better on your CV.

Or lie about it.