Depression

Thanks everyone for your messages. My CV is looking pretty tidy and I've got a plan to head out first thing tomorrow morning and get my CV into all the retail stores in the City Centre for the Christmas temp roles just incase I don't get any of the roles I've got my eye on.

Looking to switch into retail to build up experience and get into management that way. It's gonna be a less stressful environment than the one I just left and not to mention if I get my foot in the door at Aldi or Lidl I'll start at £1.20 a hour better than I was on.

Endgame is building up my experience and cash so I can run my own business one day

Most places advertising temp jobs will tell you to go online, as that's how the vast majority of applications are done these days. Some might take your CV, but double check and if they have an online application, make sure you do that. I would check the individual websites of companies as well (especially supermarkets), as some might not advertise on ones like S1, Monster etc (although I'd advise you check these as well). Indeed is usually a decent website for retail roles.

Regarding your CV, how many pages is it?

Not sure of your circumstances, but you might be eligible for an ILA.

Question for those with experience of depression:

Do any of you get rather frequent intrusive thoughts? I started getting them more and more through my phases of depression and despite a few months of mirtazapine (which has gradually helped considerably), the intrusive thoughts are still there, perhaps continuing to get worse.

This is either going to i) help through discussion, or ii) follow me for life on this forum, but I find myself in situations where I'll be in mid-conversation with somebody (either friend or stranger) and I'll suddenly get the vivid image of me stabbing the person or slitting their throat and watching them die. It's difficult to say that it's feeling of compulsion without coming across as a mass murderer in waiting, but that's exactly what it's for very short periods at a time (maybe 10 secs). Just for the record, I'd be very, very, (very x100 more) surprised if I ever did anything like :death* in real life.

Another example would be standing at the bus stop and suddenly feeling an urge to push the person beside me onto the road to be crushed by a passing vehicle. This used to be a thought I'd have of myself pretty much on a daily basis, but it would seem that it's now transferred to others.

Reading up on it all a bit, it seems to be common in those with depression and too damn right that it makes you feel like a terrible person. This obviously doesn't help things, but folk saying "don't feel bad because as long as you don't actually do anything like it, it doesn't make you a bad person" doesn't exactly give you an instant cure from self-loathing at times.

*I've never used this emoticon in all my time on here, and thought that this would be a good opportunity to finally use one. I think that leaves Donatello (the turtle) and the arab guy now.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Question for those with experience of depression:

Do any of you get rather frequent intrusive thoughts? I started getting them more and more through my phases of depression and despite a few months of mirtazapine (which has gradually helped considerably), the intrusive thoughts are still there, perhaps continuing to get worse.

This is either going to i) help through discussion, or ii) follow me for life on this forum, but I find myself in situations where I'll be in mid-conversation with somebody (either friend or stranger) and I'll suddenly get the vivid image of me stabbing the person or slitting their throat and watching them die. It's difficult to say that it's feeling of compulsion without coming across as a mass murderer in waiting, but that's exactly what it's for very short periods at a time (maybe 10 secs). Just for the record, I'd be very, very, (very x100 more) surprised if I ever did anything like :death* in real life.

Another example would be standing at the bus stop and suddenly feeling an urge to push the person beside me onto the road to be crushed by a passing vehicle. This used to be a thought I'd have of myself pretty much on a daily basis, but it would seem that it's now transferred to others.

Reading up on it all a bit, it seems to be common in those with depression and too damn right that it makes you feel like a terrible person. This obviously doesn't help things, but folk saying "don't feel bad because as long as you don't actually do anything like it, it doesn't make you a bad person" doesn't exactly give you an instant cure from self-loathing at times.

*I've never used this emoticon in all my time on here, and thought that this would be a good opportunity to finally use one. I think that leaves Donatello (the turtle) and the arab guy now.

Sounds perfectly normal to me.

Not an experience of depression as such, but my missus is a psychologist and we've had discussions about intrusive thoughts and i'm pretty sure that it's the kind of thing everyone gets to a greater or lesser degree.

Her example is that whenever she is in a tube or train station, the thought of jumping in front of the train enters her head. Apparently that's a common one.

Not an experience of depression as such, but my missus is a psychologist and we've had discussions about intrusive thoughts and i'm pretty sure that it's the kind of thing everyone gets to a greater or lesser degree.

Her example is that whenever she is in a tube or train station, the thought of jumping in front of the train enters her head. Apparently that's a common one.

...when married to KnightswoodBear.

Thinking about jumping when up a tall building is a common one too I think.

The pyschologist basically explained that most people get these thoughts but only when you are anxious or depressed do you actually sit and ruminate over them. Can be really scary though.

May hold truth, but I'm 100% certain that they're far more frequent than I've ever had before.

They need updated. Saddam and Osama are long gone, and unless there's a "favourite pharaoh" thread I don't see anybody using the King Tut one.

Back on topic, I doubt there's anyone who hasn't occasionally seen a train coming and wondered what it would be like to jump, or had the mental image of just hooking the person they're talking to for no reason - and as someone said earlier, it's only once you start making actual plans it's a problem.

I suffer from Anxiety and I have had these horrible intrusive thoughts for years now. The most common one I have is that I am going to hang myself, what makes it strange is that I love life and am very petrified of the idea of doing it. My psychiatrist told me that intrusive thoughts are a big problem for people who suffer from Anxiety or OCD. He told me that the people who have these thoughts are the least likely to ever act on these thoughts because they're so scared of them, what is weird is that even when I know this this these thoughts still bother me every day. Anxiety is a bitch.

Hey everyone, just thought id let you all know i got myself a new job, its only a temp contract the now but its in a completely new direction than call center work and the pay is gonna be much better too

Fk me, you don't wait about! I'd have spent at least a week vegetating. Well done sir.

All the best in the new job, Ed. You mentioned that you want a retail job in which you can progress into management, do you have the opportunity to do that with this new job?

Regardless, best of luck! :thumsup2

Hey everyone, just thought id let you all know i got myself a new job, its only a temp contract the now but its in a completely new direction than call center work and the pay is gonna be much better too

Get in mate. Good luck with it. Time you deserve to be happy. Hope it works out lad.

All the best in the new job, Ed. You mentioned that you want a retail job in which you can progress into management, do you have the opportunity to do that with this new job?

Regardless, best of luck! :thumsup2

Oh definitely if I'm kept on after Christmas, I'm working for Amazon in thier returns department, inspecting returned items to see if they can be resold or need to be returned to the manufacturer or are totalled.