Sons' sorrow

3 hours ago, sons'r'us said:

I already have and i'm doing our 1st home game against Dundee utd. Is that me just gave away who I am? Come to think of it, as it is you plugging it can I expect to meet you around 2.30 on the 13th August.

When you meet each other, you'll be astounded that you are each other's Doppelgänger.

The Hoff meets the Hulk. :thumsup2

A new keeper is welcomed but we must be punting Brown, I know I would. He has not been nearly good enough, shakey and lacks confidence. Hopefully the boy from Aberdeen has some pace as our back 4 is woefully slow. If we are starting Buchannan and Wright at CB we need reasonably quick full backs to provide cover. Still need a defensive centre mid for me as Darren Barr will not stay fit for a full season and we will need cover. We need a balanced squad so fingers crossed we can get 2 or 3 more in this week.

Agree with others about Brown. Not the worst goalie I've ever seen, but he just goes through the motions.

He has no fire in his belly, and although he might just see his contract out on the bench (I hope), at least if he's stuck on the bench, he's not leaking goals like a sieve leaks water.

Fair enough, but which goals were down to mistakes by Jazza?

Pretty sure he didn't cover himself in glory Livvy away, qots away and a few others that escape me.

Don't need to go as far back as that anyway. He was absolute honking against Motherwell in the friendly.

Fair play to him for staying with us for so many seasons and I get that some fans appreciate that but loyalty doesn't win you points.

A new goalie is very much welcome in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, sarti pooh said:

Pretty sure he didn't cover himself in glory Livvy away, qots away and a few others that escape me.

Don't need to go as far back as that anyway. He was absolute honking against Motherwell in the friendly.

Fair play to him for staying with us for so many seasons and I get that some fans appreciate that but loyalty doesn't win you points.

Welcome to P&B Sarti :)

Livi and QOTS away were two of the most stinking performances I saw from us all season. It's difficult to blame Jaz for anything in those games, especially considering how he single handidly won us points against Raith, Alloa and QOTS. I believe Motherwell was when he first noticed this injury, and judging by his Facebook posts recently it doesn't appear to be getting any better so I suspect he'll be out for some time more.

Mark Brown has actually been ok recently, but the return of Jaz to the team made as big a difference to our season as the signing of Nade. Without either I reckon we'd have found ourselves in the playoffs. It was his best season for us by far, and I know a few folk who voted for him as POTY.

In saying that if he is out long term and a player as good as Martin is available then I totally understand the signing of him. The only downside is that I imagine it may have put a bit of a dunt in the budget, but a good 'keeper wins games - just look at Michael McGovern in the Euros and I think we have one who could be a match winner.

He also wears the same gloves as me, so I will therefore make him immune from any further criticism.

I didn't think we'd be seeing a goalkeeper debate this season :lol:

Final word, Cameron, me and you will be having a wee falling out over the "too small" statement - it drives me up the wall! I know plenty of big 'keepers who struggle with agility, in fact I reckon out of the 'keepers I've worked with the most talented have often been the ones considered small. It's another typical British attitude to things - like "he's awfully small to be a centre back" that makes me raging! Smaller guys tend to be more agile and actually better at commanding their area. Odd as it may seem.

Victor Valdes and Iker Casillas are both just 6ft, and Andy Goram was 5"10 (apparently, though I've met him and he's definitely exaggerating :lol:) and they are/were pretty handy! 

I was going to rant about the myth that is Fraser Forster, but that would be going off topic so I'll leave it for another time ;)

Think the majority of Ewings performances last season won him points rather than his loyalty to the club. It was night and day when he came in for Brown last season. He's one for the occasional howler but he is more than capable at this level and wouldn't still be on the books if not.

Actually quite raging at this signing if Ewings isn't fucked / Brown isn't away. Yes it'd be nice to have further back-up in goals but we are seriously lacking bodies all across the pitch and I'd much rather we extended Barclay's contract and use Martin's wage to get in some more outfield players. By all accounts on here he's not going to be sitting on the bench and he's not going to be on peanuts.

With that all being said, he's here now and I hope he performs well for us. Just got to pray that the final 3 signings Aitken has up his sleeve are good. Forgive me for not being particularly hopeful.

Welcome to P&B Sarti [emoji4]

Livi and QOTS away were two of the most stinking performances I saw from us all season. It's difficult to blame Jaz for anything in those games, especially considering how he single handidly won us points against Raith, Alloa and QOTS. I believe Motherwell was when he first noticed this injury, and judging by his Facebook posts recently it doesn't appear to be getting any better so I suspect he'll be out for some time more.

Mark Brown has actually been ok recently, but the return of Jaz to the team made as big a difference to our season as the signing of Nade. Without either I reckon we'd have found ourselves in the playoffs. It was his best season for us by far, and I know a few folk who voted for him as POTY.

In saying that if he is out long term and a player as good as Martin is available then I totally understand the signing of him. The only downside is that I imagine it may have put a bit of a dunt in the budget, but a good 'keeper wins games - just look at Michael McGovern in the Euros and I think we have one who could be a match winner.

He also wears the same gloves as me, so I will therefore make him immune from any further criticism.

I didn't think we'd be seeing a goalkeeper debate this season :lol:

Final word, Cameron, me and you will be having a wee falling out over the "too small" statement - it drives me up the wall! I know plenty of big 'keepers who struggle with agility, in fact I reckon out of the 'keepers I've worked with the most talented have often been the ones considered small. It's another typical British attitude to things - like "he's awfully small to be a centre back" that makes me raging! Smaller guys tend to be more agile and actually better at commanding their area. Odd as it may seem.

Victor Valdes and Iker Casillas are both just 6ft, and Andy Goram was 5"10 (apparently, though I've met him and he's definitely exaggerating :lol:) and they are/were pretty handy! 

I was going to rant about the myth that is Fraser Forster, but that would be going off topic so I'll leave it for another time [emoji6]

That's at a different level though and with world class goalkeepers. At our level balls are constantly pinged in around the keeper in a crowd and few times it seems as if Ewings was just putting his hands in the air and hoping. Still better than Mark Brown who is scared to leave his line.

Think the majority of Ewings performances last season won him points rather than his loyalty to the club. It was night and day when he came in for Brown last season. He's one for the occasional howler but he is more than capable at this level and wouldn't still be on the books if not.

Actually quite raging at this signing if Ewings isn't fucked / Brown isn't away. Yes it'd be nice to have further back-up in goals but we are seriously lacking bodies all across the pitch and I'd much rather we extended Barclay's contract and use Martin's wage to get in some more outfield players. By all accounts on here he's not going to be sitting on the bench and he's not going to be on peanuts.

With that all being said, he's here now and I hope he performs well for us. Just got to pray that the final 3 signings Aitken has up his sleeve are good. Forgive me for not being particularly hopeful.

I think you might be right about the injury during the Motherwell game. Sprinting that amount of distance to clatter your own centre half must leave some kind of Mark.

Really hope Martin is the answer. Can't afford having 3 woeful keepers.

I think you might be right about the injury during the Motherwell game. Sprinting that amount of distance to clatter your own centre half must leave some kind of Mark.

Really hope Martin is the answer. Can't afford having 3 woeful keepers.

You have to be fishing.

30 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

That's at a different level though and with world class goalkeepers. At our level balls are constantly pinged in around the keeper in a crowd and few times it seems as if Ewings was just putting his hands in the air and hoping. Still better than Mark Brown who is scared to leave his line.

They are world class, but height makes very little difference. For example the best 'keepers to have played at this level in the past few years (in my opinion) are Danny Rogers and David McGurn. McGurn must've been a similar height to Jaz, and Rogers is certainly shorter than than Mark Brown. Look at Kevin Cuthbert at Raith as well, he's relatively small for a 'keeper yet was their POTY last season I believe. Dropping down a division Stranraer's Cammy Belford is an excellent 'keeper and he's under six foot and he's a very handy goalkeeper.

It's the same as the argument about outfield players being too small. Colin Nish was enormous, but shrunk when he jumped. There's plenty of big 'keepers who shrink when they come for crosses, and plenty of wee ones who command their area superbly. It all depends on the individual player, and judging a player purely based on his size is utterly mental.

1 hour ago, sarti pooh said:

Got to say I'm in the Sonsteam of 08 camp on this one. To me, Jazza was just as pivotal in our survival last term as Nade was at the other end of the pitch. I've gone back and watched the highlights of Livingston and Queen of the South away and I think it's incredibly harsh to say Ewings was at fault for any of these goals. Dumfries is the best part of a 400 mile round trip for me, and believe me I could have done without seeing a 6-0 drubbing. I'll give you the goal conceded against Motherwell in a meaningless friendly. Were you at Ibrox for the 1-0? That was probably the best goalkeeping display I've seen for us since Grindlay's at Arbroath in the play-off in 2012. If the new guy Martin turns out to be an upgrade, then great, but based on his performances last season i just don't see how you can label Ewings "woeful".

Interesting that Lionel Wickson mentions the QOS away game, Jamie Ewings was the only player after that game to applaud the fans after that game; that, for me, was huge.

I just think Jazza inspires confidence throughout the team. When he came back in the team we looked so much stronger and the back four especially seemed a unit all fighting for each other knowing the 'keeper was giving his all.

Where as the defenders don't seem to have that confidence in Brown. His body language is not that of a confident 'keeper fighting for his backline.
I think the first goal against Dundee is an example of a lack of confidence in Brown, I think Wright would have let Ewings deal with the ball rather than try deal with it himself.

Maybe woeful was a bit harsh to describe the two keepers but I don't think either are the answer.

And I was at Ibrox at the night and had a better seat than most that and to me big Buchanan came on to a really good game in the run in and it was him that sorted the back four.

Anyway let's all get behind our new number 1 Alan Martin and let Jazza and Brown fight it out for a space on the bench where they both belong.

They are world class, but height makes very little difference. For example the best 'keepers to have played at this level in the past few years (in my opinion) are Danny Rogers and David McGurn. McGurn must've been a similar height to Jaz, and Rogers is certainly shorter than than Mark Brown. Look at Kevin Cuthbert at Raith as well, he's relatively small for a 'keeper yet was their POTY last season I believe. Dropping down a division Stranraer's Cammy Belford is an excellent 'keeper and he's under six foot and he's a very handy goalkeeper.

It's the same as the argument about outfield players being too small. Colin Nish was enormous, but shrunk when he jumped. There's plenty of big 'keepers who shrink when they come for crosses, and plenty of wee ones who command their area superbly. It all depends on the individual player, and judging a player purely based on his size is utterly mental.

Looking through last seasons games I think that Ewings was very good a lot of the time but he also had some performances where he couldn't do anything right. His performance in the 3-1 win at home to Alloa could have cost us 2 vital points. Ewings is a decent Keeper to have but I'm hopeful that Martin will be an upgrade.

Lewis Toshney was our player of the year but Cuthbert got the managers' player of the year and the players' player of the year..

Having watched Mark Brown over the last season I don't want him anywhere near the first team; indeed at times I've marvelled at his career record.

If Martin is as good as reported and Barclay as flakes then we release the latter and have Jazz and Martin vie for the position.

Some of the sniping at Jazz is way out of order by the way.