Sons' sorrow

you can get Winter and Stirling for free

Wasn't Stephen Stirling an absolutely tremendous player until Shug Murray snapped him in half a few years back? I remember thinking he'd be a great signing when we went up in 2012. I'm assuming he's never fully recovered?

As a strong backer of Ian Murray throughout his time with the club I was sad to see him leave, but on reflection not as disappointed as I would have been had he left at the end of last season. By signing a 2 year contract last year he bought himself a bit of insurance given the strength of the teams that arrived in the division while at the same time ensuring that the club would receive compensation if he successfully kept us up and moved on.

This compensation has for once allowed us the luxury of being able to approach the employers of a successful senior league manager for a successor and today's appointment seems to have been met with universal approval.

This is certainly an improvement on the days when we simply appointed the assistant manager to the role irrespective of experience or ability.

Perhaps with hindsight we should have realised that Murray's reluctance to appoint an assistant was an indication that he wasn't going to continue beyond this season in any case.

While previously fearing the inevitable day when Murray moved on, I feel surprisingly positive about the events of the last week. Rather than facing a survival battle with the same (slightly jaded) squad supplemented by a few short term loan signings I am hoping that Aitken can freshen things up a bit with some new permanent signings and look to build something a bit more long term.

Thanks Ian, you did a great job. Welcome Stephen, I hope you get the support needed to build upon what has been achieved over the last 4 years. Well done to the club for acting swiftly and decisively and turning a potentially negative situation into a positive one.

Come on ye Sons!

As a strong backer of Ian Murray throughout his time with the club I was sad to see him leave, but on reflection not as disappointed as I would have been had he left at the end of last season. By signing a 2 year contract last year he bought himself a bit of insurance given the strength of the teams that arrived in the division while at the same time ensuring that the club would receive compensation if he successfully kept us up and moved on.

This compensation has for once allowed us the luxury of being able to approach the employers of a successful senior league manager for a successor and today's appointment seems to have been met with universal approval.

This is certainly an improvement on the days when we simply appointed the assistant manager to the role irrespective of experience or ability.

Perhaps with hindsight we should have realised that Murray's reluctance to appoint an assistant was an indication that he wasn't going to continue beyond this season in any case.

While previously fearing the inevitable day when Murray moved on, I feel surprisingly positive about the events of the last week. Rather than facing a survival battle with the same (slightly jaded) squad supplemented by a few short term loan signings I am hoping that Aitken can freshen things up a bit with some new permanent signings and look to build something a bit more long term.

Thanks Ian, you did a great job. Welcome Stephen, I hope you get the support needed to build upon what has been achieved over the last 4 years. Well done to the club for acting swiftly and decisively and turning a potentially negative situation into a positive one.

Come on ye Sons!

Aye, what a difference a week makes, and I'm glad to see that whilst folk are correct to commend Ian Murray's record at DFC, they are also beginning to appreciate that we are entering a new chapter.

Stevie Aitken's capture was down to a concerted team effort by a Board united in a clear purpose and crucially, acting in an honest and proper manner.

Delighted with the new manager and glad to see him bringing his back room team with him. (is our new kit man away without laying out a strip?)

Kudos to the board for moving quickly and decisively.

Thanks to Gil and dvz. Gils has been a good player for us for a few years now and I hope they get good teams soon.

Looking forward to the new season !

little surprised Gils away....not so much Van Zanten,,,,,after a slow start, I thought he did quite well, but perhaps the fact that he missed the end of the season through injury was a factor

Gils always one of my fave players.....missed very few games which was surprising given he had been injury prone before signing for us....all the best wherever he ends up

Edited by aftershocker

Never did understand the derision that Gilhaney attracted, a very useful player during his spell at the club. But perhaps it's time the squad was freshened up and I don't envisage any complaints as long as an equally competent right sided player is brought in.

Is Van Zanten finished at this level? He was decent for us a few years ago and wouldn't mind having him back if he's still the same player.

I would guess he has at least 1 more season in him....if he can stay injury free

For the 3rd season on the spin? I certainly hope not.

Anyway, feels like a sound appointment and I wish him the very best of luck for what will be a very tough season.

For the 3rd season on the spin? I certainly hope not.

Anyway, feels like a sound appointment and I wish him the very best of luck for what will be a very tough season.

I agree. But we'll get St Mirren, won't we?

Imagine there will be a few folk happy gils is away, handy player and good luck to him.

Aitken says he likes his teams playing fast attacking football so hopefully Itl be better entertainment this year whilst securing the points!

Sorry to see Gils and DVZ go, but as has been said before, maybe it's time to freshen things up. Good luck to both of them.

Well done the Board for a pretty swift conclusion to the managerial situation. And welcome to Stevie Aitken and "Faz"- a young manager again, and he brought an Assistant too!

Things are looking good.

Gils has served us very well and he goes with thanks but like a few others the time is probably right to part ways. Looking forward to see who else Aitken will bring with him to the Rock, be that from Stranraer or somewhere else. A few Stranraer players have been touted already, one a tough tackling midfielder that could possibly replace CT.

I'm sorry Gils is away. Did what he was asked to do, sometimes playing in unfamiliar roles like wing back. Always gave 100% but was often singled out for unwarranted criticism. Best of luck to him and I hope he gets a club soon.

Felt Gils was often underrated and was one of our most consistent performers over the last few years. All the best to him. DVZ never really impressed me all that much, I prefer a full back who likes to get forward and he never really offered much in that sense. Again all the best to him, seems like a decent guy with plenty of #bantz.

Good to see Stevie acting early, the guy clearly knows what he wants. Intae that.