Sons' sorrow

The woman at Morrison's Fish Counter was quite cagey when I spoke to her earlier.

"I don't want to be braitken any confidences but taitken everything into consideration, I'll be quite shaitken if the appointment isn't announced tomorrow"

If a Press Conference has been called for tomorrow then we must assume that Stevie Aitken isabout to be introduced as Sons' next Manager. Three hearty cheers for that.

Anyone know if Stranraer Assistant Manager Stevie Farrell will be joining him ?

TWATFCAM said "As Farrell's I know he is"

Edited by Howlin' Wilf

Stevie Aitken and Dumbarton are the arguably the most likeable and admirable manager and club in Scottish football, but I'm not sure how smart a career move this is for Aitken.

In 2015/16, the Dumbarton manager's job is arguably the hardest job in Scottish football: he has a huge act to follow, and with lots of managerial talent and only two part-time clubs in the Championship, the Sons are rank underdogs- but then they always were, and so were Aitken's Stranraer.

I hope they achieve great things, just as they have for the last four seasons, but they're due a bad one. It'll be their best achievement yet if they survive this season.

Stevie Aitken and Dumbarton are the arguably the most likeable and admirable manager and club in Scottish football, but I'm not sure how smart a career move this is for Aitken.

In 2015/16, the Dumbarton manager's job is arguably the hardest job in Scottish football: he has a huge act to follow, and with lots of managerial talent and only two part-time clubs in the Championship, the Sons are rank underdogs- but then they always were, and so were Aitken's Stranraer.

I hope they achieve great things, just as they have for the last four seasons, but they're due a bad one. It'll be their best achievement yet if they survive this season.

I can't disagree with anything you've said there. This is an extremely tough ask for anyone to keep us up this year. I would include Murray in that as well if he were still here.

The advantage Murray would have had is he knew the players he was offering contracts well. Whereas a new manager doesn't have that luxury. Hopefully those offered contracts remain and the new manager has a spine of a team to start with.

Nice post my friend and thanks for the compliment, appreciated.

I would agree with some of your thoughts but I'd also take issue with some too. It WILL be a tough shift next season but curiously given we've no signed players and backroom staff I'm l actually now looking forward to it more than had Ian Murray stayed in place. We both needed change and last Friday provided it.

As it stands, tomorrow we'll unveil a new Manager in Stevie Aitken and I don't know one Sons fan who won't be 100% right behind his appointment. Great credit is due to our Board of Directors who really hit the ground running from very early last Saturday morning and continued it into this week in recognition of the need to act quickly and decisively. Sometimes this stuff gets lost in the mix.

Whether we're due a bad one is a moot point, but with a new boss charged with building his own squad and a chance to really further his reputation we should be nothing if not invigorated at DFC. Stevie Aitken and ourselves will have covered the bases as far as possible and at this sage that's all we can ask. He'll be under pressure, yes, but nothing compared to Alan Stubbs, Ian Barraclough/Whoever, Ian Murray to name a few.

Agree with everything OKI has said and I'd also say that I admire Aitken already purely for the points Albino has raised. He knows he has an incredibly hard act to follow in a mostly full-time league and he still wants a crack at it. With a clean slate to work with too he can build the squad he wants.

We may be due a bad one but I'd agree with OKI again and say I'm not only looking forward to it more but I'm more confident of avoiding a bad one with fresh faces down here, as well as the players and management that have been here for the last 4 years have done.

Well done to the board, no pissing around and they've made what seems a very good appointment.

As it stands, tomorrow we'll unveil a new Manager in Stevie Aitken and I don't know one Sons fan who won't be 100% right behind his appointment. Great credit is due to our Board of Directors who really hit the ground running from very early last Saturday morning and continued it into this week in recognition of the need to act quickly and decisively. Sometimes this stuff gets lost in the mix.

Fully agree with this. I've not been shy in criticising the board in the past where I've felt it justified but If Aitken is appointed tomorrow they deserve credit for taking decisive action to replace a previous manage who was also a very bold appointment.

Aitken comes with a respectable track record which can only be positive in encouraging the likes of Agnew, Fleming et al to sign new deals. He should also be able to attract some of the better p/t players from league 1, if deemed good enough.

It's a shame Longworth is signed up at Stranraer already. Always thought he would have been a good player at this level. Ironic that Mark McGuigan signed up at Stranraer just last week when he was rumoured to be a target for us just days before.

If Aitken is appointed I will be delighted. Out of all the names going around he would have been my pick. It won't be easy but I think he is as good a man as anyone for the job right now.

Edited by squeezeboxson

For some weird reason, I have the same feeling I had when we were in the pine trees celebrating sons going up to the old div 1 (70's). I think the Murray era has passed it's sell by date. We've had a great few years, but time to move on. I have a feeling this will be a memorable season

Nice post my friend and thanks for the compliment, appreciated.

I would agree with some of your thoughts but I'd also take issue with some too. It WILL be a tough shift next season but curiously given we've no signed players and backroom staff I'm l actually now looking forward to it more than had Ian Murray stayed in place. We both needed change and last Friday provided it.

Whether we're due a bad one is a moot point, but with a new boss charged with building his own squad and a chance to really further his reputation we should be nothing if not invigorated at DFC. Stevie Aitken and ourselves will have covered the bases as far as possible and at this sage that's all we can ask. He'll be under pressure, yes, but nothing compared to Alan Stubbs, Ian Barraclough/Whoever, Ian Murray to name a few.

Yes, you have hit the nail squarely on the napper. I would hope that Aitken has knowledge of our squad so that he can quickly act to sign up who he wants to keep. He has been busy signing players for Stranraer recently but there may be some he has fancied who wouldn't go to league one but would be attracted to a championship club. Time will tell, but I'm with you in looking forward to the season more with the new man in charge. As soon as Murray applied for the St Mirren job it was better that he went.

From this vantage point it is a decent move signing Aitken for two years. If you are going to approach a man then you have to show confidence in him. We don't know what next season will bring and it could be that there'll be a struggle ahead.

I may be wrong but by my reckoning the last two managers that we attracted whilst in a job, were Billy Lamont 34 years ago and Jackie Stewart 47 years ago. One was from East Stirling and the other from Albion Rovers. They both won us promotion to the top league (ok in Lamont's case he left 6 weeks before the work was complete but it was his team).

Whilst things have changed a lot in the game since those days, might this be our year to win a game in the Petrofac/Ramsdens/B and Q cup?

I'm heartened that Stranraer were second highest scorers in League 1, whilst at the same time letting in the fewest goals. But for that late defeat by Morton, they'd have been joining us in the Championship.

In that case we might not have got our man.

Good luck to Ginge(nickname ie hair)the lure of going to Easter road,Fir pk/Ibrox, was enough to get him away from Stair pk and although it will be a tough gig to keep the sons in the Championship,one he will relish I am sure.I think things would have been different if we had gained promotion,he would have tried to be the first manager to keep the blues in the second tier for a second season but not too be.I would reckon he might a bring a couple with him,Grant Gallagher could play in the championship also our keeper David Mitchell if he is available plus Willie Gibson and Frank Mckeown could be on his radar.A part time appt will also suit as he has a good full time job in EK and if things don't work out he can fall back on that,but interesting times lie ahead for blues and sons fans.

Superb appointment. He has been the standout manager during our couple of years down here in Ligue Un. Not only put a strong team together but seems to be someone who ensures a real professionalism throughout the club. Would have liked to see him at East End but I thought he'd be able to get himself a job at a Championship club.

Good luck to Ginge(nickname ie hair)the lure of going to Easter road,Fir pk/Ibrox, was enough to get him away from Stair pk and although it will be a tough gig to keep the sons in the Championship,one he will relish I am sure.I think things would have been different if we had gained promotion,he would have tried to be the first manager to keep the blues in the second tier for a second season but not too be.I would reckon he might a bring a couple with him,Grant Gallagher could play in the championship also our keeper David Mitchell if he is available plus Willie Gibson and Frank Mckeown could be on his radar.A part time appt will also suit as he has a good full time job in EK and if things don't work out he can fall back on that,but interesting times lie ahead for blues and sons fans.

I already made the point that but for your loss of the game v Morton at Stair Park (even a draw would have done) then I doubt if the temptation would have been so strong for him to leave. If he's happy remaining part-time then that's a bonus. Hopefully we can keep him for a while. Has there been any

mention of Steve Farrell's position? Will he follow the gaffer or perhaps fancy a shot in the Stranraer hot seat? Or maybe Chris Aitken would also fancy one of those posts?

Not much extra info from this apart from the fact that interviews took place over the weekend and that he's told Stranraer he's coming to us.

http://www.thenational.scot/sport/football-dumbarton-set-to-choose-stephen-aitken-as-manager.3389?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_term=Autofeed#link_time=1432706532

Will be absolutely delighted when if it's confirmed, trying not to get too excited just yet :P

Does anyone have any idea at all who the new manager could be? Apparently there's a press conference this afternoon. Somebody must have some kind of clue, surely. I think it's Ally McCoist myself.

Does anyone have any idea at all who the new manager could be? Apparently there's a press conference this afternoon. Somebody must have some kind of clue, surely. I think it's Ally McCoist myself.

That would indeed be a good appointment, as long as he brought one of the Kennys with him - McDowell or Shiels, either would do......

I already made the point that but for your loss of the game v Morton at Stair Park (even a draw would have done) then I doubt if the temptation would have been so strong for him to leave. If he's happy remaining part-time then that's a bonus. Hopefully we can keep him for a while. Has there been any

mention of Steve Farrell's position? Will he follow the gaffer or perhaps fancy a shot in the Stranraer hot seat? Or maybe Chris Aitken would also fancy one of those posts?

The fish counter wummin has intimated a strong possibility that Steve Farrell and a physio may also feature in the press announcement.