Sons' sorrow

Like most very happy with this, was many folks first choice and it's good to see the board acting in a very prompt manner to secure him. Hopefully he takes stock of our current players and quickly decides who we need to offer terms to and where we must strengthen. Looking forward to next season - maybe we'll take the Challenge/Petrofac Cup more seriously than a pre-season friendly and get past the first round. Odds on us getting Stranraer away again and getting pumped out...?

Like most others here, I'm very pleased with our appointment of Stephen Aitken.

He's a well though of manager and did a very good job with Stranraer. It's a positive sign of his ambition and determine that he wanted this job, given what a huge task he faces.

I'm sure he's already got lots of ideas on players to keep, and bring in from elsewhere and I look forward to seeing how he's going to put together a squad for another very difficult season at trying to sustain our place at this level.

Thanks to Murray for everything, him and the players have given us some great memories over the past few years. Like most, I am very happy with the appointment of Aitken. Saw that he's hoping to meet with the players tonight so let's hope we get some more good news later on this evening.

Very pleased to see Stevie Aitken make the step up. It's a great move for both parties. He's one of the best young managers in the country and although he's "only" moving on to another part-time club, Dumbarton are bigger than Stranraer - they've got a richer history, they're playing at a higher level and, one would assume, have a greater budget - a more attractive prospect all round. It's a small step in his career but one that will pay dividends in the long term.

Aitken's stepping into big shoes - from the outside looking in, Ian Murray's one of the best managers in the Sons' history - but if he can maintain the standards Murray set and keep them in the division (which will be more difficult next season, I imagine, with only two part-time teams in the league) then all the doors will open for him. I imagine he'll be looking to take David Mitchell and Grant Gallagher with him. It'll be a big loss for Stranraer.

As for Dumbarton, Aitken is the best manager they could have got in the circumstances. Really hope he does well with them, he comes across as a smashing boy and Dumbarton have always been a nice club (and one that Stenhousemuir seem to frequently job to).

OK folks, The Dumbarton Terrace's first interview with Stephen Aitken is NOW ONLINE: https://thedumbartonterrace.wordpress.com/2015/05/27/stephen-aitken-the-start-of-the-journey/

Stranraer weren't on the brink of mixing it with Hearts. And couldn't have been mixing it with Rangers AND Motherwell, it's one or the other.

Edited by Boghead ranter

Stranraer weren't on the brink of mixing it with Hearts. And couldn't have been mixing it with Rangers AND Motherwell, it's one or the other.

Have re-worded that sentence. Stranraer were on the brink of mixing it with Hearts after being in the 2013/14 play-offs - had they won them, they'd have been in this season's Championship. However, the sentence didn't read like that initially. Changed now.

Edited to add another link to interview: https://thedumbartonterrace.wordpress.com/2015/05/27/stephen-aitken-the-start-of-the-journey/

Edited by DumbartonTerrace

Over the 2 seasons... so yeah. Last year they were in the play offs and could have been in our league with hearts in the season just finished.

Good luck to stevie and Dumbarton ...great manager who likes his team to play passing football and will be sorely missed at stair park .... was inevitable he would leave some time ...just hope we get someone decent in now and crack on for the new season ...would expect Dumbarton to do well next season with stevie & stevie in charge .

Huge credit to the board on this one. They've acted quickly and got the man that everyone, including themselves, wanted. Also good to see them spend some of the Murray compo on getting a highly regarded manager in.

Impressed with what I'm reading from his first two interviews. Who would've predicted Murray leaving and Aitken being appointed by the 27th of May this time last week? Wild!

Can't wait to see who he brings in. Hopefully the first two to sign deals are Aggy and Chase.