Sons' sorrow

9 minutes ago, Bankies Alive said:

Christian Nade :lol:

That is all.

:huh: The same chap who strolled the game today when he came on, and looked a class above everyone else on the park.

Getting back to the game, I've had more time to think, and I've spent most of it trying not to think about the game. It was the ultimate pre-season sort of thing. Drab, slow, boring and without any real flow. Just one player seriously bucked that who started, and that was Tom Walsh. He looked like he'd create something every time he touched the ball, buzzed about the park creating issues and genuinely looks to be flying.

I'm always reticent about making comments about pre-season performances but, considering he's not fully fit according to Stevie, I'm hugely optimistic about what he can bring to the team. He looks a far better player than last time, and I liked him back then too.

David Smith was fine. Dowie was probably slightly better than fine given who he had alongside him. The #5 was a disaster as I mentioned earlier, and McIlduff was very meh. He doesn't look horrendous, but I don't think he'd really add anything.

In midfield the SeaGal never really got going. He took his goal well, and two in three pre-season games is something to build on, but aside from that he flitted in and out of things. Johnston (or Mushy as he appears to be known) showed a few really nice wee touches but, as touched on earlier, looks bereft of any confidence. It's similar to Stanton when he first arrived, he looks terrified to take risks and always takes the safe option. I reckon Stevie and Durrant will be able to work with him, but there's always a worry in case it goes deeper than just confidence.

Wilson looks reasonable enough. He did some really impressive things, and some that weren't so good, but I think there's a player there. McManus was the pick of the trialists (which doesn't say much) mainly because he was neat and tidy in possession and almost looked like a Carswell-lite. Christ knows how we find so many clones of similar types of player, but he looks like another non-goalscoring, disciplined but not creative centre-mid. Unless either Carsy or G.Gal are out for a sustained period I wouldn't bother bringing him in.

Then upfront you had the #9 trialist - the only one I haven't been able to name. He was brutal. His touch was poor, his movement was poor, he wasn't particularly quick and he lashed his only chance wildly over the bar. Another one I doubt we'll be seeing again. The way we play is reliant on a striker who can hold play up, bring the ball in and bring others into play. He couldn't do any of that, and it was no surprise that we looked a million times better with Nade and Stewart on. 

Overall though I'm pleased with where we are. We need reinforcements upfront (2 strikers imo), but I'm confident that Stevie and Durrant will be able to find another gem or two in the loan market. We certainly look in a lot better shape than we were in this time last year. It's a shame we've missed out on Portoeus, as he sounds like he would've been a star, but if we can keep Barr and Dowie fit then I'll be confident in our centre-halfs. Hill will be just fine as backup, and will do a job when he's needed.

Looking forward to my positivity being smashed on Tuesday evening.

10 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

I don't know why you always have to argue with everyone? Could we compete with Dumbarton week in week out with this squad f**k no, Nade is a cracking player. Could we compete in the third division week in with our squad, probably, but thats still two levels below Dumbarton. Even some of the shitey posters from Dumbarton are making you look bad, cmon man.

If they weren't allowed to bring in half a team of loan players from full time teams they'd get relegated.

Nade is totally unfit and overweight,wtf were you watching? He makes Stevie Young look like an Olympic athlete.

They had to play Bonnyrigg without the use of the loan players and got beaten over 2 matches by a Junior team because of it.

If they weren't allowed to bring in half a team of loan players from full time teams they'd get relegated.
Nade is totally unfit and overweight,wtf were you watching? He makes Stevie Young look like an Olympic athlete.
They had to play Bonnyrigg without the use of the loan players and got beaten over 2 matches by a Junior team because of it.

You two want to go on your own forum and flirt?

8 minutes ago, Bankies Alive said:

Joe Thomson (on loan from Celtic) played against Bonnyrigg. The reasons we lost to them were far more complex than simply not having Daniel Harvie and Sam Stanton. As shown by the turnaround and complete change in the makeup of the side after the game.

I genuinely don't get where the Nade overweight stuff comes from. He was chubby when he was with Hearts six or seven years ago, but since he returned to Scottish football with Dundee he's been in great shape. He's never going to be built like Peter Crouch, but he's an absolute unit and was a class above anyone else on the pitch when he came on. If you couldn't see that then you can't have been there!

JS47937405.jpg

Our loan players were allowed to play against Bonnyrigg you absolute raging loon baw.

Yes but they still have the money to pay them etc.
Nade isn't overweight, the guy is a fucking unit, he won't be match fit yet in the same way that Friz wasn't fit either today, its about sharpness.
Listen, would we beat them in a one off cup game if we turned up etc then possibly yes, but week in week out would they prove to be a better team, yes, but f**k they are the equivalent of five leagues above us. We get into the pyramid then we can restructure and one day compete. But lets stick to a bit of gentle ribbing of the senior teams because if we actually act like we genuinely think we're superior it looks a bit silly.
Its up to us to win over the support of the other trust members and get back into the leagues via the lowland league etc, something I fully believe we can do, but cmon lets stop being deluded just now.

Wrong forum mate. Post it one with folk that care.

13 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Yes but they still have the money to pay them etc.
Nade isn't overweight, the guy is a fucking unit, he won't be match fit yet in the same way that Friz wasn't fit either today, its about sharpness.
Listen, would we beat them in a one off cup game if we turned up etc then possibly yes, but week in week out would they prove to be a better team, yes, but f**k they are the equivalent of five leagues above us. We get into the pyramid then we can restructure and one day compete. But lets stick to a bit of gentle ribbing of the senior teams because if we actually act like we genuinely think we're superior it looks a bit silly.
Its up to us to win over the support of the other trust members and get back into the leagues via the lowland league etc, something I fully believe we can do, but cmon lets stop being deluded just now.

Are there murmurings of the bankies going into the Lowland league? That would be brilliant. I'd welcome the bankies back...aslong as it wasn't at the expense of us mind you. 

Let's pause a wee minute here folks. If it hadn't been for the effort and total commitment of the Bankies support when their club was royally shafted and subsequently imploded then there would be no juvenile banter, far less any kind of game to enjoy.
Having said that, it's always A delight to stuff them. Long may it all continue.

We're not in the position to really make a definitive decision on it, I'd say a majority of the fans would back it, but we also have a large group who love junior football (personally i fucking hate it and if it wasn't for me being a bankies fan i'd not bother) so it might be a hard one. I'd never want us to rejoin the league at the expense of another club unless I won the lottery and bought Airdrie. It makes financial sense for us to join the LL, the money from the sfa grants, cup matches against bigger teams etc would help us make the step up, its just whether or not the rest of the support feel that way too.

Doubt that it would take a lottery win to buy a controlling interest in Airdrieonians, given their plight at the moment.

Except Stanton and Harvie werent allowed to play you raging liar.

Stanton was injured and Aberdeen said no to Harvie playing. So aye, simmer doon ya bitter mess.

Also just so you are aware we pay these guys wages and have to fight off other clubs to get them on loan. It's not some sort of SPFL charity case conspiracy.

1 hour ago, kilbowie2002 said:

We're not in the position to really make a definitive decision on it, I'd say a majority of the fans would back it, but we also have a large group who love junior football (personally i fucking hate it and if it wasn't for me being a bankies fan i'd not bother) so it might be a hard one. I'd never want us to rejoin the league at the expense of another club unless I won the lottery and bought Airdrie. It makes financial sense for us to join the LL, the money from the sfa grants, cup matches against bigger teams etc would help us make the step up, its just whether or not the rest of the support feel that way too.

We cant  just go and join in the LL though,its full !

1st of all we`d have to get a club license which the SFA stiff you £2k for and might not even give us but more importantly we`d have to play in the utter joke of a league that is the South Of Scotland and waste an entire season playing on school pitches and recreation grounds in Dumfries and Galloway against pub teams.

The "pyramid" like everything else in Scottish Football is a total clusterfuck set up by a bunch of self interested crappy non-league senior clubs for their self preservation.

25 minutes ago, Bankies Alive said:

1st of all we`d have to get a club license which the SFA stiff you £2k for and might not even give us but more importantly we`d have to play in the utter joke of a league that is the South Of Scotland and waste an entire season playing on school pitches and recreation grounds in Dumfries and Galloway against pub teams.

The "pyramid" like everything else in Scottish Football is a total clusterfuck set up by a bunch of self interested crappy non-league senior clubs for their self preservation.

PM for this pish.

12 minutes ago, Bankies Alive said:

Woah there.... step away from that drink :lol:

You're oure pretty much spot on about the SOSL. I've been at some cup ties with Whitehill down that way and we've often won about 8-0.

Regan arrived in Scotland and decided the pyramid was an easy problem to solve... just copy the English model which we're obviously all too thick to do ourselves. Clubs like Whitehill were obviously going to take whatever was on offer and it's a step up from the EOSL and far more professional. Don't blame us for joining. Repeat: it wasn't set up by the clubs however often you repeat it.

Now I know you have zero knowledge of the non league game in the east and I can forgive your prejudices about the LL based on your limited experience and the fact that the so called 'boys clubs' are what your limited experience stretches to. But for fucks sake your constant whining about our clubs being crappy (how do you know) was wearing a bit thin years ago.