Sons' sorrow

Take good care of the Norwegian Prince. As mentioned earlier, a fit Syvertsen is a brilliant player. He has just spent, more or less, the past two seasons injured. I hope for your sake you can keep him fit because he really can be a fantastic watch.

I'm very sorry indeed  to read of the sad passing of John Bush on the OS.

Bushy was a Sons stalwart for as long as I can remember, and as the piece says he was the epitome of the type of willing contributor clubs like ours absolutely depend on.  Many of you would have known him as the guy on entance duty at the car park on match days.

Sincere condolences to his family.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

Even though he's been injured for the best part of 2 years so probably wasn't worth using a wage on this year with uncertainty over his fitness, I can't help but feel he's a player that's going to come back and haunt us. Best of luck to him anyway.

Edited by C. Muir

A squad of 18 assembled in time for the League Cup group stages. Jesus Christ. That has literally never happened before.

Wilson will likely be on peanuts and really looked the part against Clydebank. I also cannot believe he's only 17! He played with a bit of arrogance which I liked and should be a useful, versatile player to have about the squad.

Syvertsen, unusually for a Sons signing, appears to have no question marks at all over his ability. It's clear from the universal acclaim he had from Clyde supports that he's a terrific footballer. The huge question mark is over his fitness. We just have to cross our fingers on that one.

My only concerns heading into the season are striker and left-back now. We badly need someone to stick the ball in the net - because we have plenty of creativity. The ship has sailed obviously, but Jaime Wilson would probably have been a decent option if he'd decided to hang around. With Paddy injured we also need a left-back - because I have no clue who is going to play there at the weekend. Callum Wilson was a right-back at Hibernian as far as I can see - so it could be him. But I'd really rather we had a more natural option. Especially as I'm guessing big David Wilson isn't now getting a deal.

I'm hoping Faz can use his Kilmarnock contacts to schmooze Kyle Connell on loan to fill our striker void. He'd be a cracking signing.

8 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Syvertsen, unusually for a Sons signing, appears to have no question marks at all over his ability. It's clear from the universal acclaim he had from Clyde supports that he's a terrific footballer. The huge question mark is over his fitness. We just have to cross our fingers on that one.

I absolutely love him - he must have only actually managed about 20 league games for us in two and a half seasons but I would have had him on a deal in a heartbeat. Not actually even sure he's that great of a footballer, just an absolutely stand up guy!

In all seriousness, the very few games he was fully fit he looked extremely dangerous. Not a surprise given his futsal background, he could keep the ball off you in a phone box.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

8 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I absolutely love him - he must have only actually managed about 20 league games for us in two and a half seasons but I would have had him on a deal in a heartbeat. Not actually even sure he's that great of a footballer, just an absolutely stand up guy!

In all seriousness, the very few games he was fully fit he looked extremely dangerous. Not a surprise given his futsal background, he could keep the ball off you in a phone box.

I was reading an old interview with him, and it mentioned that he was volunteering to help folk who were homeless with a charity when he first came over to Scotland and it didn't look like he'd be getting a deal anywhere. I've got all the time in the world for that sort of thing. 

I'll see if I can dig it up online anywhere. It was a good read. 

I couldn't find it online unfortunately - but here's the transcript. It's from The Sun in November

KRISTOFFER SYVERTSEN went to school with Kris Ajer — but feared his pal might end up the only class act on the pitch.

Two years ago the 22-year-old Norwegian was ready to fly back home, after being sold broken promises about a possible dream move to Scotland.

But his life turned around after a chance meeting while doing volunteer work with homeless people in Glasgow.

While helping out he met Hamilton's head of marketing Steven Crowe, who agreed to assist the young striker, and eventually led to him winning a move to Clyde.

Scam Syvertsen said: "After finishing school in Norway I was trying to get a chance abroad and went to Spain. It wasn't what I was hoping for.

"A person with a good football CV had mentioned UK clubs to me — Partick Thistle and also a few clubs down south.

"I paid a lot of money to pursue those chances, but quickly figured out it was a scam. It was a sad moment for me.

"I'd booked my flight home and packed my bags. Then I went to feed the homeless with the church I had been visiting while I was here.

"I guess it gave me perspective — there are always people worse off than you.

"I bumped into Steven Crowe, who's a character. He told me to give him his number, to cancel my flight and he'd call some agents. I went to Accies, but I was a bit too old, so I tried Clyde and they wanted me.

"I don't know if I'd have played football again if I'd gone back to Norway. I got good grades at school so might have done something totally different."

Syvertsen and Celtic star Ajer were close in Norway and their friendship has continued here.

He added: "We were in school together before he moved to Scotland. We're the same age, and have the same sort of friends' group back home.

"It's been good to sometimes speak Norwegian in Scotland.

"Kris was so important to me during the first period. I didn't understand English for the first three months. Not a single word.

"He's extremely dedicated and I've taken a lot from him. If I have questions about training, it's always easy to ask Kris.

"He's very into the mental side of the game, and if I need advice he's good.

"Before the pandemic we had games nights with Norwegians playing here. I felt like I was home for those four hours, and it took my mind off everything.

"During lockdown we were all home for a few months. Footballers in Norway had training camps, so we'd meet almost every day to work out and create our own wee camp."

After helping the Bully Wee to promotion from League Two in his first season, Syvertsen made just four appearances last term after two knee operations.

Degree He's fit again and back on the pitch — but he's also busy off it, as he juggles studying for a theology degree with seeing if he can land modelling work.

Ahead of today's clash at East Fife, he said: "Tom Lang told me to try modelling and I messaged Model Team on Instagram. "They invited me along and said they would take some pics. I'd told Kris Ajer's girlfriend Marte I was going and she asked if she could come long.

"They took photos of both of us at the shoot.

"The day after, they asked her to come and shoot on her own — so she's had more work than me!

"But if anyone reads this and is looking for someone to do shoots, I'm available now."

Edited by Jan Vojáček