Sons' sorrow

Quick question. 

I noticed on the pictures from from the clydebank game, all the players seem to have their socks cut at the bottom and are wearing other ones below. Attached pic shows a Bankies player with same. Is this now a thing??? And if so, why?

1570163837_thumbnail(2).jpeg.184d2ff5bad48d880304bde369f212c1.jpeg

1 minute ago, PWL said:

Quick question. 

I noticed on the pictures from from the clydebank game, all the players seem to have their socks cut at the bottom and are wearing other ones below. Attached pic shows a Bankies player with same. Is this now a thing??? And if so, why?

1570163837_thumbnail(2).jpeg.184d2ff5bad48d880304bde369f212c1.jpeg

A lot of players tend to favour gripped socks these days, so their feet don't slip around (or slip around less) inside their boots

We now have a squad of 16 with it assumed that Wilson (the full back) will be signing based on what Faz said which would take us to 17. Say we loan another 1 or 2 that would take us to 18/19. I can’t see us running with a squad of more than 20 which means the international contacts stuff is quite clearly a load of pish. Even if this Walter Mitty owner of ours did have international contacts, how many are actually going to be able to get a work permit? 

I hope we make an offer to yesterday's no 16 (who also featured in the other friendlies)  Callum Wilson. As I think OK3 has already said, he looks like a player who could make things happen. Reminded me a bit of Stuart Robertson whom supporters of a certain vintage will recall. Not the same Callum Wilson who played a few games for us last year. 

5 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

When he first arrived he simply wasn't up to speed at all and was blowing out his arse after any kind of exertion. When he eventually reached a good level of fitness, he then picked up a recurring neck injury at the turn of the year and missed large chunks until he recovered and played a big part in the play-offs of our promotion season. He was still a wee bit slight in build so was almost exclusively played out wide, but over the next pre-season he clearly bulked up and impressed in the first few games of pre-season as a striker. He then picked up a bad knee injury in the League Cup against QP (I believe) which completely ended his 19/20 season. Last year, he looked one of our brighter players again after returning to fitness but picked up another injury up at Cove in December (not totally sure, but I think it was another knee one - no idea if it was the same knee) and wasn't seen again.

He was very much liked and rated at Clyde, but I think we just couldn't afford to take the gamble on him again when he missed far more games than he played for us. If Dumbarton do sign him then you'll be getting a big, handsome, ambipedal maverick who is a cult hero in every sense of the term. I just hope for his sake he can stay fit.

I hope we sign him just on that description alone. Injury prone fitness worry maverick ye say? The new Froxy!

38 minutes ago, THE CHOSEN SON said:

Is this the same Callum Wilson that played for us a few years ago? 

It is not. That Callum is still at Albion Rovers. Scored today too.

20 minutes ago, the snudge said:

I hope we sign him just on that description alone. Injury prone fitness worry maverick ye say? The new Froxy!

As soon as I saw Syvertsen yesterday I thought of you. The only man who appreciates a big handsome foreign cult-hero more than me 🤣

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

It is not. That Callum is still at Albion Rovers. Scored today too.

As soon as I saw Syvertsen yesterday I thought of you. The only man who appreciates a big handsome foreign cult-hero more than me 🤣

Moonster has a thing for handsome Scandinavian sons players too. We might need to share him if he signs.

If he's fit then Syvertsen is absolutely a League 1 player. Brilliant feet and a good finisher. That said, he won't actually score many goals as he plays the entire game outside the box; you wouldn't say he has a goalscorer's instinct.

9 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

That photo always intrigued me. Why did we use the white strip for one random season before returning to it in the early seventies

My memory is it was a second strip (used at home, not away; in those days the home team in Scotland changed strip  - and then only if there was a colour clash) for that one season in the black and gold stripes era until it became the main strip around 1969.

11 hours ago, rockson said:

My memory is it was a second strip (used at home, not away; in those days the home team in Scotland changed strip  - and then only if there was a colour clash) for that one season in the black and gold stripes era until it became the main strip around 1969.

You are correct. The photo must have been taken before a home game  against one of Alloa, Berwick Rangers, East Fife or Albion Rovers.

How have folk found the staggered entry times for games?

I fancy the 2 home cup games but not the waiting about in the ground if I was given a really early entry time, particularly since I've got plans on Saturday morning.

Is it generally ok or are folk sitting for an hour plus before kick-off? I know that we're being careful with covid rules but I was at Pollok v Talbot at Newlandsfield and they weren't running with staggered entry times for a similar 250 max crowd.

Possibly just order the webcasts and see what plans are in place for the league season proper.

12 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

How have folk found the staggered entry times for games?

I fancy the 2 home cup games but not the waiting about in the ground if I was given a really early entry time, particularly since I've got plans on Saturday morning.

Is it generally ok or are folk sitting for an hour plus before kick-off? I know that we're being careful with covid rules but I was at Pollok v Talbot at Newlandsfield and they weren't running with staggered entry times for a similar 250 max crowd.

Possibly just order the webcasts and see what plans are in place for the league season proper.

Disinclined to bother going until the rules become less severe. Shouldn't be too long from now and I'm perfectly content with the stream until then.

I rarely attend league cup games anyway.

I was planning on attending the Stenny game next Tuesday but I didn’t realise we were running with the staggered entry thing. I probably wont bother if it means sitting there for an hour or so before kick off.

I actually think the price of the streams for these games is too steep and costs the same as it does to attend the match. 

Until they open the bar I won't be turning up an hour or more before kick off to sit and watch the seagulls from my seat. I get some of this may be out the clubs hands but I'd really hoped staggered entry and masks for sitting in the open air would've been binned by now. Quite why every pub in the country can be open but ours can't is anyone's guess.

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Until they open the bar I won't be turning up an hour or more before kick off to sit and watch the seagulls from my seat. I get some of this may be out the clubs hands but I'd really hoped staggered entry and masks for sitting in the open air would've been binned by now. Quite why every pub in the country can be open but ours can't is anyone's guess.

Is staggered entry a requirement aye? If it is fair enough but it’s not for me. I’d like to think we could be trusted to turn up as normal, form a socially distant queue if required and safely make our way to our seat. I can’t see it causing the stewards much of a problem either given that we aren’t brain dead idiots who can’t sensibly do the above without breathing or coughing in a fellow supporters mouth.

5 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

How long did you have to arrive before kick off?

For Saturdays 2pm ko we had to be in between 1:15 and 1:45. I believe that was for everyone and not just a select few.